Pallet Town: Where decks begin...

NinetynineTails

NinetynineTails

Hey Coggy, glad you're interested in an Electric deck, as they're pretty scarce these days. Was just talking about something like that the other day actually.

The first thing that I notice about your deck and ideas is that you've got very bottom heavy Stage 2 progressions, which isn't going to work well. Have a look in the deck guide(in the opening section), then read the 'Card Ratios' section. Covers that and some other stuff you would benefit from.

Apart from that I see you've got 20 total energy, 4 Cilan and 4 Energy Search. Electric already uses Energy from the Discard Pile thanks to Thundurus, and doesn't equip any more than other decks from hand, so you should only need around 15 energy. Drop the Cilan's completely, for something like N; they're not needed in a pure Electric deck for any reason. Can keep a couple of Energy Retrieval if you like, just that 4 is overkill as you need Energy to grab in the first place.

As for what you're planning it's similar to what I suggested to someone recently. You should end up with a mostly Team Plasma lineup with Thundurus Ex, Zapdos x, Magnezone(including a heavy Supporter lineup to make proper use of Dual Brain) and a couple others of your choice(Raikou, Zekrom, etc).

Edited by NinetynineTails
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NinetynineTails

• coggy90

• RoyalDuke

Hey Coggy, glad you're interested in an Electric deck, as they're pretty scarce these days. Was just talking about something like that the other day actually.

The first thing that I notice about your deck and ideas is that you've got very bottom heavy Stage 2 progressions, which isn't going to work well. Have a look in the deck guide(in the opening section), then read the 'Card Ratios' section. Covers that and some other stuff you would benefit from.

Apart from that I see you've got 20 total energy, 4 Cilan and 4 Energy Search. Electric already uses Energy from the Discard Pile thanks to Thundurus, and doesn't equip any more than other decks from hand, so you should only need around 15 energy. Drop the Cilan's completely, for something like N; they're not needed in a pure Electric deck for any reason. Can keep a couple of Energy Retrieval if you like, just that 4 is overkill as you need Energy to grab in the first place.

As for what you're planning it's similar to what I suggested to someone recently. You should end up with a mostly Team Plasma lineup with Thundurus Ex, Zapdos x, Magnezone(including a heavy Supporter lineup to make proper use of Dual Brain) and a couple others of your choice(Raikou, Zekrom, etc).

Sorry if im a bit slow but I read the card ratios and still don't get what you mean by bottom heavy stage 2 progressions? thank you for your quick reply :)

NinetynineTails
Sorry if im a bit slow but I read the card ratios and still don't get what you mean by bottom heavy stage 2 progressions? thank you for your quick reply :)

By 'progressions' I'm referring to the steps you take to getting your Stage 2 on the field(so the basic pokemon and stage 1 that are it's pre-evolved forms). If you imagine your un-evolved Pokemon and their evolutions forming a hierarchy with Stage 2 at the top, you'll find you've got larger proportions of those Pokemon at the bottom(the number of which could be described as 'heavy'). 4 Tynamo is much more than 1 Elektross, basically. That shouldn't be the case, as I outlined in the example with Charizard. The hierarchy should look more like an hourglass(assuming Rare Candy use) and less like a pyramid.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Oh, I've decided to include 2 DCE to replace the blend energy and instead of any of the attackers you suggested earlier, I included a Zekrom (outrage is very handy) and a 1-1 Roserade line (cross-wise whip is a pretty energy efficient move-(flip 4 coins, does 30x the number of heads) to handle the situation. Also, the reason I included the Sigilyph in my deck was specifically for taking down Mewtwo EX like a boss with a silver bangle. (I just did that in my expert battle for the day) and to power it up, I put 2 psychic energy and one energy search in the deck as well. Thanks a lot for the advice, Ninetynine Tails!! (P.S.- my goal is to reach the goal for getting over 9000 trainer tokens just for the heck of it and I haven't spent any so far and as of now i have about 1500, just to show that you don't have to spend to score big. Thanks!!) And as to your PS question Ninetynine Tails, nope. I'm not even sure if can you can change your name. Doesn't your Pokemon account name just follow you around everywhere?

So if you see me in-game, you'll know me.

Edited by ArtichokeCat
NinetynineTails
Oh, I've decided to include 2 DCE to replace the blend energy and instead of any of the attackers you suggested earlier, I included a Zekrom (outrage is very handy) and a 1-1 Roserade line (cross-wise whip is a pretty energy efficient move-(flip 4 coins, does 30x the number of heads) to handle the situation. Also, the reason I included the Sigilyph in my deck was specifically for taking down Mewtwo EX like a boss with a silver bangle. (I just did that in my expert battle for the day) and to power it up, I put 2 psychic energy and one energy search in the deck as well. Thanks a lot for the advice, Ninetynine Tails!! (P.S.- my goal is to reach the goal for getting over 9000 trainer tokens just for the heck of it and I haven't spent any so far and as of now i have about 1500, just to show that you don't have to spend to score big. Thanks!!) And as to your PS question Ninetynine Tails, nope. I'm not even sure if can you can change your name. Doesn't your Pokemon account name just follow you around everywhere?

So if you see me in-game, you'll know me.

OK. Saw a very similar deck, is all. The guy was a sore loser, anyway(hate when people forfeit the second before your last attack).

I use Suicune so I'm not discrediting Sigilyph, just depends on the extra energy type. I have that Roserade; not a bad choice. Zekrom in a non-Electric deck is kinda awkward as Outrage depends on their actions to work properly. Did you try the other Bouffalant?

I don't really get not spending Tokens as I want to own all the Theme decks I can and so forth(they don't stay in rotation). I don't buy stuff with cash, I just like doing something with the Tokens I've earned.

the_fallen_ixi

Hi!

I have an idea of building deck based on pokemons that has no it's own damaging attacks (unlimited format, any cards):

• Mew EX with Versatile;
  • Kecleon with Imittack;
  • Ditto with Transform;
  • Mew Prime with Lost Link and See Off (it's really hard to get);
  • Any other suggestions?..

No Zoroark with Foul Play 'cause all Zoruas has damaging attacks.

So,

1. Which pokemons in what combination are the best for this deck idea?
  2. Should I use basic energy?
  3. How to retrieve blend/prism other special energy from deck/discard pile?
  4. Which trainer cards are the best for this deck?
  5. What Ace Spec is the most useful?
  6. And how to counter Garbotoxin whcih disables Versatile, Transform, Lost Link and Color Change?

I know that this deck won't be the most powerful. I've just bored with standard deck types and want to make a challenge for myself :).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by the_fallen_ixi
NinetynineTails

Couldn't you just use Zorua with Ascension? I mean, I know it has Scratch as well, but you could just not use that attack if it bothers you.

I'm not really sure what you want me to do TBH. If you're going to try to copy your opponents' attack's then they're going to be getting more out of them because their decks will be built around those attacks. I guess you could use Mew Ex with Prism Energy and Cilan to adapt and imitate their attacks, but the advantage will probably still be theirs given Mew Ex only has 120 health. It's just not a deck I can really give a direction for because it's basically just copying your opponent. That makes it inherently vague, so there's not much advice I can give you.

Countering Garbotoxin is simple; use Tool Scrapper to keep it from being active.

It also depends how far you're willing to compromise on the theme. Are special conditions like Burn and Poison okay? Can something have an attack if it's only used for an ability? Can a prevolution have an attack if you don't use it(like Zorua)?

Being bored with normal decks is fair enough but there are plenty of other left field decks you could try. For example, have you considered a mill deck?

the_fallen_ixi

Yep, you exactly pointed out my question: how to make the best deck which only copies opponent attacks and relies only on them.

That means no pokemons with attacks/abilities that deal damage, use special conditions, put damage counters, etc. This is some kind of restriction: like I don't have and can't get any other pokemon cards.

I've already tried to play Tool Drop, Mr. Mime+Siesmitoad (don't know how to call it), Round... Good Mill deck still in my to-do list (with some other ideas). Now i'm trying to build LostGar with cards available in game - maybe the most unusual deck I've ever played :).

Hello again everyone!

I've spent the last few days tinkering with the deck idea I posted, revolving around Dragonaxe Haxorus, and I thought I'd show you all what I came up with, and see if you could improve upon it any more.

Deck List:

Pokemon:

Axew x3 (NV)

Fraxure x1 (PB)

Haxorus x3 (PB)

Munna x2 (PB)

Musharna x2 (ND)

Cobalion EX x2

Keldeo EX x2

Mr. Mime x1 (PF)

Durant x1 (Dragons Exalted)

Trainers:

Items-

Float Stone x2

Switch x2

Pokemon Catcher x3

Ether x3

Energy Switch x2

Level Ball x2

Ultra Ball x2

Crushing Hammer x2

Rare Candy x3

Scramble Switch x1

Supporters-

Colress x2

Skyla x2

Professor Juniper x2

N x3

Energy

Metal Energy x8

Blend Energy WLFS x4

---

Cobalion turned out to be a great fit, as he provides a strong lead with a 30 for one energy attack, in the event I'm having issues getting started. The blend energy with Keldeo was also an excellent pick, as it gives me a hard-hitting alternative if I can't set up Haxorus early enough. Musharna not only powers up my Ether, but gives me plenty of card draw, which makes most of my supporters obsolete by late-game, leaving me pretty free to discard them in favor of card search if I need to. I DID opt to go with a bulkier Axew, so he can take more than the first hit if he needs to, though it hasn't been an issue so far. I did leave one Durant in to scoop Blend energies out of my discard pile if I find myself in a spot where I have to use Keldeo offensively.

I dialed back on both Ether and Skyla a bit in favor of a pair of Colress, simply because I kept finding myself in a spot where I had a hand with two or three of each that I just wasn't using. Scramble Switch wound up being so powerful I also opted to include Switch/Energy Switch as an alternative.

On the whole, it's been pretty strong in Expert, and I've gotten a lot of compliments on a cool and creative deck. If there's anything else you can think to improve upon, I'd love more suggestions, but I think it's pretty tourney-worthy as it is now. :)

Thank you so much for working with me on this and making it what it is. I'm also using your guide to work on a Grass, easy-build monotype focused around Swift Sting Beedrill that I may share a bit later if you're interested in having it up as a reference. :) Again, thank you so much for your help.

By 'progressions' I'm referring to the steps you take to getting your Stage 2 on the field(so the basic pokemon and stage 1 that are it's pre-evolved forms). If you imagine your un-evolved Pokemon and their evolutions forming a hierarchy with Stage 2 at the top, you'll find you've got larger proportions of those Pokemon at the bottom(the number of which could be described as 'heavy'). 4 Tynamo is much more than 1 Elektross, basically. That shouldn't be the case, as I outlined in the example with Charizard. The hierarchy should look more like an hourglass(assuming Rare Candy use) and less like a pyramid.

ok thank you I get what you are saying now. ill reply soon with my updated deck. thanks very much for your help! :)

NinetynineTails

Nice Ryohoshi, it's looking pretty good now, though a third Float Stone might be needed to protect against Tool Scrappers and ensure you actually get it in the first place.

That and you may want to augment your Supporters with a Random Receiver or two. You don't want to be stuck early game without a Supporter. I say R.R. based on what you were saying about Musharna making supporters unnecessary late game. Grabs the Supporter without technically increasing your total.

Still a bit dubious about the Durant, lol. Have you tried non-Ex Coballion? He has Energy Crush to hurt high energy foes. Not as dependable as the Ex version but good as tech, nonetheless.

@ Ixi; I know what you're saying I just don't see how to judge the quality of something with such restrictions, especially given it's copy-cat nature. I can only give you sound advice if your deck does it's own thing, not someone else's. LostGar is really interesting; it's a pretty scary deck to face given it's unique win condition.

@ Coggy, That's fine. Keep us posted.

Ok here's my refined deck tell us what you think Ninety:

pokeon:

zaekrom ex

raik ex

rotom x3

thundurus ex

magnemite x2

magneton

mangazone x2

tynamo x2

eelektrik

eelektross x2

trainer cards:

life dew

rare candy x3

frozen city x2

pokemon catcher x2

crushing hammer x2

team plasma ball x2

tool scrapper x2

colress machine x2

ghetsis x2

N x2

hooligans jima & cas x2

skyla x2

shadow triad x2

energy:

plasma energy x4

electric energy x11

double colourless energy x2

NinetynineTails
Ok here's my refined deck tell us what you think Ninety:

pokemon:

zekrom ex

raikou ex

rotom x3

thundurus ex

magnemite x2

magneton

mangazone x2

tynamo x2

eelektrik

eelektross x2

trainer cards:

life dew

rare candy x3

frozen city x2

pokemon catcher x2

crushing hammer x2

team plasma ball x2

tool scrapper x2

colress machine x2

ghetsis x2

N x2

hooligans jim & cas x2

skyla x2

shadow triad x2

energy:

plasma energy x4

electric energy x11

double colourless energy x2

zapdos* it censored it for some reason the ex version

That always happens. I think it's because the censoring system is designed to ignore spaces in cases of separate word fragments(if you get the implication...), to prevent deliberate circumvention. That or it's just a bug, like trying to type the name of the theme deck with Leafeon and Espeon in it... *** Crusher!

Now, onto the deck! First of all, Rotom is pretty average; use one if you really want to but I certainly don't recommend using three. Thundurus Ex easily deserves to be at 2 or 3, though. If you're tight for rescources two is probably fine, but not one.

As long as you actually have Zapdos(the Ex version), that's fine. Interestingly, it's the only Pokemon Ex with Agility(I think they tend to avoid giving strong defensive abilities so the double prize drawback stays more relevant).

Then there's the slight issue of having two different Stage 2 Pokemon. If you like playing Eelektross I don't blame you(he's got a couple of fun attacks after all) but if I were taking this deck to a tournament I would pare it down to the essentials, which means only one named Stage 2 Pokemon, and I'd choose Magnezone as his ability provides additional support(literally) rather than just being another attacker. As it is you still have a total of 4 individual Stage 2's, which isn't so bad as long as you know how to prioritse. In that case you could definitely use a couple of Level Balls to provide some stability.

Apart from that my biggest concern is your Supporter line. You have a total of 8, which is less then the bare minimum(did add that info to the deck guide but it was lost before I could submit it and the auto-save cut off before then, so I'll have to re-write it), when you should have more than the average deck, due to Magnezone. He's got great potential, but your Supporter's will determine the limitations of that; without many Supporters there's no point being able to play two a turn.

Not to mention Ghetsis and Hooligans are pretty unreliable(Ghetsis targets Items, which people don't generally leave on hand much, and them darned Hooligans aren't worth flipping for in most cases). May be able to afford them in this particular deck as singles, but only once you've established the rest of your Supporters. You should have plenty of N, as well a couple Juniper and Colres; that's just as a basic Supporter line-up, keep the Skyla and Shadow Triad as well as those, possibly even up them to 3. Should end up with around 15 Supporters, though I'm theorising so just use that as a starting point and test various options to find what works best.

You could also get by with a few less energy. 1-2 more Colres Machine would be worthwhile, too.

Guest ArtichokeCat

Hmm... I have an interesting choice here. Can you help me out, NinetynineTails? Do you think a 1-1- line of Smooth Coat Cincinno is better or the Bouffallant (Revenge)? Also, I've found the other Bouffalant (Gold Breaker) not as useful so i can take those out for one or the other. But of course, I can fit both normal types into the deck. What do you think?

PS: I included the Zekrom for dealing with the ever popular Empoleon deck because it can't get OHKO ed by an attack command (but there's still Dusknoir) If i can find the regular Kyurem with Outrage, that would be more useful, to protect my fire weak grass types.

Edited by ArtichokeCat

Ok I've made a few changes again tell me what you think, because I definitely do want to do tournaments with this deck once I get better.

Pokémon:

zekrom ***)

rotom

raikou ***)

thuderurus (ex) x3

**********)

magnemite x3

magnetron x2

magnazone x3

trainers:

level ball x2

life dew

rare candy x3

frozen city x2

pokemon catcher x2

(got rid of crushing hammer because thundurus has that attack that discards anyway)

team plasma ball x2

tool scrapper x2

colress machine x4

supporter-

juniper x2

colres x2

N x4

skyla x3

shadow triad x3

energy:

plasma x4

electric x9

double colorless x2

hows that?

Ok, it seems like Black Kyurem EX + Keldeo EX is still famous even if I didn't play PTCGO for 2 months. So I want to try and create a deck based on White Kyurem EX instead.

Pokemon: 14

3 White Kyurem EX

4-1-4 Chandelure

2 Keldeo EX

Trainers and Supporter: 31

4 Rare Candy

3 Ultra Ball

3 Float Stone

1 Heavy Ball

3 Pokemon Catcher

1 Crystal Edge

2 Super Rod

1 Tool Scrapper

4 Juniper

4 N

2 Skyla

1 Colress

2 Random Receiver

Energy: 15

9 Fire Energy

6 Water Energy

This deck requires you to evolve Chandelure in the second turn and start to setup, Chandelure deals 10 damage to the Pokemon that gets energy from its ability making White Kyurem's Attack stronger. I really need suggestion for this deck though.

NinetynineTails
Magnetron?! XD You mean Magneton?

He sounds like he's working for the decepticons >.>

As for the deck it is certainly looking a lot more functional, though 3-2-3 with 3 Rare Candy isn't really needed. 2-1-2 with 2 R. Candy is probably still fine; dropping the Eelektross line simply makes room for more Trainers. If you really want to exploit those Supporters from early on then 3-1-3 with 3 Rare Candy might be worthwhile, but I don't think that's necessary as you're not dependent on Magnezone; you're just advantaging from him when possible. Apart from him and Thundurus(who's poifect now) I'll leave the Pokemon to your personal preference. Gotta balance between giving advice and telling you how to play.

Apart from that 1 Level Ball is probably fine, I said two in reference to the dual Stage 2 lines, but it's still nice to be able to grab with Skyla when you want Magnemite. Also not sure about Life Dew. Just that your opponent can follow through on a Tool Scrapper making it a wasted Ace Spec. Try Computer Search and/or Dowsing Machine if you can. You could still use Crushing/Enhanced Hammer in addition to Thundurus Ex, but it is better to prioritise Pokemon Catcher. The other thing you could try, if you really want to amp things up, is Virbank/Hypnotoxic. Not something I normally like to recommend because I think it's been pretty toxic to the meta(pardon the pun) but if we're talking tourney play here then it's kind of inevitable. That and the fact this deck gets enhanced use out of Triad, which would in turn mean more use of Hypnotoxic Laser.

Anyway, good luck with it, however things turn out.

NinetynineTails
Ok, it seems like Black Kyurem EX + Keldeo EX is still famous even if I didn't play PTCGO for 2 months. So I want to try and create a deck based on White Kyurem EX instead.

Pokemon: 14

3 White Kyurem EX

4-1-4 Chandelure

2 Keldeo EX

Trainers and Supporter: 31

4 Rare Candy

3 Ultra Ball

3 Float Stone

1 Heavy Ball

3 Pokemon Catcher

1 Crystal Edge

2 Super Rod

1 Tool Scrapper

4 Juniper

4 N

2 Skyla

1 Colress

2 Random Receiver

Energy: 15

9 Fire Energy

6 Water Energy

This deck requires you to evolve Chandelure in the second turn and start to setup, Chandelure deals 10 damage to the Pokemon that gets energy from its ability making White Kyurem's Attack stronger. I really need suggestion for this deck though.

Well I've seen a deck focusing on White Kyurem Ex that used Reuniclus to make precision KO's with the least risk involved. You may want to try Reuniclus in place of some(or all) of your Chandelure. Chandelure's not a bad idea given you're using a drawback to your advantage, but I don't think it will give the same impact as shuffling damage around to scale your Attacks or just to absolve up to 170 damage by dropping it on Keldeo Ex then dropping Max Potion. That said, swapping out for Reuniclus means the loss of your Energy engine, and 4 Energy isn't a cheap attack.

I'm hesitant to recommend using both because that's typically a bad idea, but Reuniclus, if anything, may be an exception to that rule. The reason I say that is because he has 90 health, which makes him a target for Level Ball, though that does require some space. That would, of course, mean you can search him when you've got Rare Candy or even grab one of each using Level Ball and Skyla(who you may want to up a bit for this reason). That said, whether it's worth the risk and/or distraction from Chandelure is completely up to you. I don't even know how well it would work.

Apart from that the only real problem I see is your dependence on Super Rod, which would be less necessary without maximum Junipers.

Anyway, I'll think about it some more and get back to you if I come up with anything else.

Well I've seen a deck focusing on White Kyurem Ex that used Reuniclus to make precision KO's with the least risk involved. You may want to try Reuniclus in place of some(or all) of your Chandelure. Chandelure's not a bad idea given you're using a drawback to your advantage, but I don't think it will give the same impact as shuffling damage around to scale your Attacks or just to heal damage from Keldeo with Max Potion. That said swapping out for Reuniclus means the loss of your Energy engine, and 4 Energy isn't a cheap attack.

I'm hesitant to recommend using both because that's typically a bad idea, but Reuniclus, if anything, may be an exception to that rule. The reason I say that is because he has 90 health, which makes him a target for Level Ball, though that does require some space. Which of course means you can search him when you've got Rare Candy or even grab one of each using Level Ball and Skyla(who you may want to up a bit for this reason). That said, whether it's worth the risk and/or distraction from Chandelure is completely up to you. I don't even know how well it would work.

Apart from that the only real problem I see is your dependence on Super Rod, which would be less necessary without maximum Junipers.

Anyway, I'll think about it some more and get back to you if I come up with anything else.

Ok I will try this deck first and see how it works online (I just finish this deck today), and I will also try to get Reuniclus, I don't think Reuniclus is that expensive and 2 pack might be able to trade for it, so it won't give me much trouble. And I will try Reuniclus with Chandelure in the same deck too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by chap196
He sounds like he's working for the decepticons >.>

As for the deck it is certainly looking a lot more functional, though 3-2-3 with 3 Rare Candy isn't really needed. 2-1-2 with 2 R. Candy is probably still fine; dropping the Eelektross line simply makes room for more Trainers. If you really want to exploit those Supporters from early on then 3-1-3 with 3 Rare Candy might be worthwhile, but I don't think that's necessary as you're not dependent on Magnezone; you're just advantaging from him when possible. Apart from him and Thundurus(who's poifect now) I'll leave the Pokemon to your personal preference. Gotta balance between giving advice and telling you how to play.

Apart from that 1 Level Ball is probably fine, I said two in reference to the dual Stage 2 lines, but it's still nice to be able to grab with Skyla when you want Magnemite. Also not sure about Life Dew. Just that your opponent can follow through on a Tool Scrapper making it a wasted Ace Spec. Try Computer Search and/or Dowsing Machine if you can. You could still use Crushing/Enhanced Hammer in addition to Thundurus Ex, but it is better to prioritise Pokemon Catcher. The other thing you could try, if you really want to amp things up, is Virbank/Hypnotoxic. Not something I normally like to recommend because I think it's been pretty toxic to the meta(pardon the pun) but if we're talking tourney play here then it's kind of inevitable. That and the fact this deck gets enhanced use out of Triad, which would in turn mean more use of Hypnotoxic Laser.

Anyway, good luck with it, however things turn out.

well I've played 20 games with my deck and haven't won a single one. I guess I know why lightning decks are scarce now

NinetynineTails

Well seeing as I can't actually see those games I can't exactly tell you what the problem is.

I made an Electric deck based on what I thought would work, but if you're playing it like any other deck than it may not function as intended. Not trying to insult you, just pointing out that this deck is a bit unique thanks to Dual Brain and will take some getting used to(and possibly some further alteration to fit with practical scenarios.) I'll add you in game and challenge you if I see you online. Honestly, I am little dissapointed myself; I mean I figured it would take some play-testing to get the Supporters and Dual Brain balanced and running smoothly, but I don't see any particular reason the entire deck would fall flat on it's face.

Anyway, Merry Christmas. I'll see if I can catch you online in a couple days time.