Which cards should be sought to expand what I have to work with?

Spryte4

Alright, I'd like to start by pointing out that I'm pretty new at this, and I don't have a lot of cards yet. I'm still working on obtaining all 45 packs from the Trainer Challenge; so far I have about 10 of them. As such, this deck so far just consists of what I've got available to work with. It's sort-of based around Rallying Cry, with as much effort as I could manage put in to counter all the EX Pokémon people tend to throw around. So far it's the only deck I've been able to get regular wins with against people using EX cards, and other powerful basic Pokémon cards.

I'm looking to find out what some of my highest priorities in expanding/improving this deck might be. Pleeeeeease don't just tell me to scrap the deck and replace it with a bunch of expensive rare cards, because that doesn't help me. I'm not made of money and Pokémon cards. I don't yet own ANY Pokémon EX cards. What would help is saying something like "Hey, your deck might benefit from adding a Plasma Blast Suicune", or "You should probably look into getting another Cinccino or two", or "You might want to replace one of your Palpitoads with another Rare Candy", or something along those lines. Things that give me one or two cards at a time as goals to strive for, rather than dozens. That is helpful.

That being said, my deck so far is as-follows:

(16 Pokémon)

2 Bouffalant (Dragons Exalted)

1 Eevee (Dark Explorers) [surprise Attack]

1 Eevee (Dark Explorers) [smash Kick/Tail Whap]

1 Vaporeon (Plasma Freeze)

1 Minccino (Dragons Exalted)

1 Minccino (Legendary Treasures) [Call for Family/Tail Smack]

1 Cinccino (Legendary Treasures)

3 Tympole (Dragons Exalted)

3 Palpitoad (Noble Victories)

1 Seismitoad (Noble Victories)

1 Seismitoad (Dragons Exalted)

(32 Trainers)

2 Energy Switch

2 Pokémon Catcher

2 Potion

2 Random Receiver

1 Rare Candy

4 Switch

2 Ultra Ball

2 Bianca

2 Caitlen

2 Cheren

2 Colress

4 N

2 Professor Juniper

2 Aspertia City Gym

1 Exp Share

(12 Energies)

4 Double Colourless Energy

8 Water Energy

mincinno and eevee line is too small, I think might be worthwhile trying to focus on 1 or the other.

probably better to run more sismitoads and less palpitoads, and then use more rare candies, speed is quite essential so the sooner siesmitoad comes out the better.

I don't believe energy retrieval is too necessary in this.

if going anti-ex is your goal then probably consider the safeguard suicune?

try and get an ace spec for the deck, no matter what ace spec it is I think it still beats having none.

maybe cut some colress/cheren/caitlin and add some level balls? ultra ball is nice but level ball probably helps get more of those basics in play.

some sort of stadium to counter your opponent's stadium might be helpful.

Switching one of the Eevee/Minccino lines to double up on the other is definitely part of the plan. Unfortunately right now I only have 2 Minccino and 1 Cinccino, and 2 Eevee, and 1 Vaporeon. I do love my Cinccino though, so I am keeping my eyes open for more of them. The additional Seismitoad (and additional rare candies) I imagine will be a fair bit rarer than additional Cinccino (since Cinccino's only an uncommon, rather than a rare, I'm hoping to pull at least a couple more from my Trainer Challenge packs), but I'll keep them in mind.

And that Suicune is actually my current goal, yes. ^_^

As for Ace Specs, got any recommendations? The only one I know of is Gold Potion.

i think gold potion's the less favored choice for you, your pokemon's hp don't really go much over 90 so the chances to use it might not come up very often, proba more useful for those exs with much more HP.

life dew/rock guard/computer search are probably my picks

I too would recommend a few stadiums, because it really sucks to have no way to get rid of a Virbank or Frozen city when your opponent exploits them.

I've now switched out the two Energy Retrieval cards for two Aspertia City Gyms, since I have a fair number of Colourless Pokémon.

It's already paying off. Virbank Gym is the most common thing that shows up that I need to disrupt, but it's also nice to be able to get rid of the occasional Skyarrow Bridge.

Well It really depends what your focus is. If you like the Eevee lineage and the Cincino's then I reckon you may as well drop the Seismitoad line instead. It's not a Round deck so you simply don't need him.

Okay, so you said to keep it a few cards at a time, so what I'm going to do is make a you a set of goals toward making a deck based on what's here....

1. Get yourself the Psy Crusher Theme deck(you'll have enough Tokens from the Trainer Challenge when you're done). Get Frost Ray when you can afford it and remember to play 12 Trainer matches with each of your theme decks.

2. Max both Mincinno and Cincinno.

3. Look for Team Plasma Flareon. He's Uncommon so that shouldn't be too hard.

4. Try to get yourself some copies of Audino(Busybody)

5. If you don't have one yet grab yourself an Umbreon.

6. Attempt to get yourself Ho-oh Ex. Two would be even better. It's there to accompany your strategy and you really only need a couple so I don't think that's unreasonable if you get this far.

7. Build a deck that looks something like the following(all other steps lead to this so keep the finished picture in mind):

Pokemon:

4x Eevee(PF)

2-3x Flareon(Plasma) + 1 each of every other Eeveelution(can tamper a little with the Eon's but the idea is to get optimum search value out of Eevee)

4x Mincino

4x Cincinno

4x Audino

2x Ho-oh Ex

Trainers:

4x Juniper

6-8 other Supporters or Random Receiver

1x Computer Search/Dowsing

2x Ultra Ball

2-4x Level Ball

4x Energy Search

Xx other Stuff

Energy:

2-4 Double Colourless Energy

Bunch of other basic energy for each Eon, thus showing slight favouritism to Water. I'd +1 Psychic too as Espeon only use one energy and it's best to make it the right one.

The basic idea is to use Cincinno early as a means to survive the early game so you can setup Pokemon in your discard pile with which to fuel Flareon's Vengeance attack. That's why having a variety of Eeveelutions is ideal; you're not actually going to play them all, just the ones that are useful at the time as well as Flareon. The rest are discarded. It's also nice to be adaptable. You can keep Bouffalant if you'd like but keep in mind that there is a Jolteon and a Vaporeon with anti-Ex attacks. Both is probably the best option.

Now I realise the finished product is quite different in overall cards but I wanted you to see the potential of this deck. With the exception of Ho-oh Ex and your Ace Spec the deck doesn't need a single Rare and Ho-oh is just too good in this for you not to at least try to get it.

7. Try to get yourself some good tech options, eg KeldStone(Keldeo Ex with Floatstone). By now you should have some experience up your sleeve and know how else you'd like to improve the deck(eg Team Plasma Umbreons).

8. Enjoy ;)

3. Look for Team Plasma Flareon. He's Uncommon so that shouldn't be too hard.

Just got my first one of these in a Trainer Challenge pack a moment before I came down to check if there were any new posts! :D

Looking back through my collection, it seems I also already have a single copy of each of Joleton and Leafeon (both Dark Explorers). That should be helpful. I feel like 2 copies of the base Eevee limits me a bit, though. Hopefully I can get my hands on more of those soon, since they're probably just common.

And looking into it... Yeah, the Seismitoad line is the one I'd love to drop most out of all of them. Right now it's still the only one I have a decently amount of Pokémon cards of though, so it's hard to replace.

I'm 15 tokens away from a theme deck, so I'll be able to pick up Psy Crusher tomorrow evening when the login bonus is available again. Thanks for the advice.

(Not sure how I'm gonna manage to get the Ho-oh EX exactly, but the Eeveeloutions are a feasible start.)

Just got my first one of these in a Trainer Challenge pack a moment before I came down to check if there were any new posts! :D

Looking back through my collection, it seems I also already have a single copy of each of Joleton and Leafeon (both Dark Explorers). That should be helpful. I feel like 2 copies of the base Eevee limits me a bit, though. Hopefully I can get my hands on more of those soon, since they're probably just common.

And looking into it... Yeah, the Seismitoad line is the one I'd love to drop most out of all of them. Right now it's still the only one I have a decently amount of Pokémon cards of though, so it's hard to replace.

I'm 15 tokens away from a theme deck, so I'll be able to pick up *** Crusher tomorrow evening when the login bonus is available again. Thanks for the advice.

(Not sure how I'm gonna manage to get the Ho-oh EX exactly, but the Eeveeloutions are a feasible start.)

Yeh, *** Crusher has a play set of 'the good Eevee', as I like to call it, which is why it's first. No worries, anyway, and if you can't get Ho-oh it's not the end of the world(that's why he's last), just makes perfect sense to have it. Exeggcute(Propagation) can work too. Actually versed a cool Dark deck that used Weavil(Villify) to load the Discard pile and deal damage in the meantime while keeping Flareon as a reserve. Smooth Coat is just as useful though, IMO. Makes Flareon and the Eeveelutions more of a focus which they deserve for sheer coolness.

PS; I've quoted part of this thread in my new ongoing project 'Pallet Town'. If that bothers you I can take it down or just leave the part I wrote.

Archived