The Championship

matthew69

The Championship Season:

.........................................................88888888........................................................

.....................................................888888888888....................................................

...................................................8888888888888888..............................................

.................................................888.8888888888888.888 .......................................

.............................................888....888888888888.....888........................................

............................................888.....888888888888......888.....................................

..........................................888........88888888888........888.....................................

..........................................888........88888888888........888.....................................

..........................................888.........8888888888.........888.....................................

............................................888.......8888888888........888......................................

.............................................888.......888888888.......888........................................

...............................................888.....888888888......888.........................................

................................................888.....88888888.....888............................................

...................................................888...8888888...888..............................................

......................................................888..888888..888...............................................

.....................................................8888888888888888............................................

................................................ 88888888888888888888........................................

.............................................888888888888888888888888....................................

Introduction:

Ladies and Gentleman I wish to provide a warm welcome to everyone who is reading this. I'm the head moderator of "The Championship" and this here is the home page. The main aim of "The Championship" is to connect the ever popular real life Pokemon TCG tournaments to the Online Pokemon TCG tournaments.

Some of those who are reading this will remember a tournament series that I was running a little while back called "The Championship Season" in the end though due to various examinations in real life I had to cancel it but due to a lack of available Modified tournaments right now I thought this would be a great time to bring this back and get people interested in competitive battling again.

In order to do this I am launching another season of Pokemon tournaments called "The Championship" based on the tournament formats that we use in real life. The current format is NXD-LTR and is the same format that is used on the "Modified" section of the PTCGO PVP. So if ever unsure whether the cards you have are legal or not for this tournament check to see if your deck is legal for use in the Modified section of PVP.

In order to rank people during the season with the ultimate goal of qualification for the PTCGO World Championships there will be a number of tournaments and events throughout the season each offering differing amounts of Championship Points, Play Points and prizes with those people who finish well consistently receiving extra Championship Points towards an invite to my exclusive World Championships tournament that I will be hosting.

Although this tournament structure of Championship Points and Play Points might sound confusing to those who are not used to competitive battling in real life tournaments please bear with me as it will all be explained in great detail throughout the thread, and if you are still unsure feel free to send me a Personal Message in game or on the Forums asking me or another moderator about whatever you need, we will be happy to help!

Partnership Threads:

There are loads of great threads around on the PTCGO Forums that were made by me or friends of mine which can offer you a wide variety of opportunities to make the most of the PTCGO experience whether you are new to the game or a veteran all these threads are very useful resources and I recommend that you check them out.

Trading Zone:

Online Trading Zone Guide:

[****************************************************************************************]

Getting a little bit confused with Trading on PTCGO and the Forums or just looking for some clarification? Then Alex's great guide for the Trading Zone is the perfect place to go to!

Matthew's Want Thread:

[***************************************************************************************************************]

Here is the list of all the cards that I need right now for decks and collection, and it is updated all the time :), if you ever need to get some Booster Packs for some cards you don't really need you know where to come.

The Top Cut Trading Inc:

[**********************************************************************************]

A great place for trading in your packs to get all the cards you need whether you want to complete your online collection, build the deck you always dreamed of or just really like the look of a certain card.

PVP Discussion:

PVP Discussion Guide:

[/********************************************************************cussion-Guide[/url]

Getting a little bit confused with PVP Discussion or just looking for some clarification? Then Alex's great guide for the PVP Discussion Forum Page is the perfect place to go to!

The Trading Card League:

[***************************************************************************************]

The Trading Card League which was originally set up by me and Alex combined two of our favourite tournaments the Gym Challenges and the Elite 4 into one giant tournament which is great for players of all abilities to have some fun battles and test themselves!

How it will work:

Championship Points:

The idea of Championship Points in real life is to reward people for doing well at tournaments with the largest rewards going towards those who win, but smaller rewards also going to those who make the Top 4, or even those below that if the tournament attendance is large enough.

I have decided that for the Online game I wanted to alter the Championship Points a little bit in order to make tournaments more rewarding for winners, and make some of the tournaments worth a little bit more, as we will have less tournaments here than in real life.

In order to make it easier for people to get Championship Points we will sometimes have two tournaments going on at once, although this won’t be for larger tournaments such as Regionals this will sometimes be the case for smaller tournaments such as League Challenges and possibly City Championships if we get enough attendants.

If we do decide to run multiple tournaments at once it means that no one is allowed to enter more than one tournament at one time. One Championship Point will be awarded to all tournament entrants on top of the other Points people achieve.

Below are the lists of Championship Points which will be awarded at each different tournament:

League Challenges:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: center]

Placement

3-4

[/TABLE]

City Championships:

Placement

3-4

[/TABLE]

[***************FONT=times new roman]Regional Championships:[/font][/color]

Placement

3-4

[/TABLE]

National Championships:

Placement

3-4

5-8

[/TABLE]

Play Points:

As with the real life game Play Points are awarded for each tournament people enter, the person with the most Play Points (other than me of course) will receive an extra reward as an achievement for attending the most tournaments.

Play Points are also of quintessential importance for those who wish to enter the National Championships. As there are no Leagues or Pre-releases online I will lower the amount needed to gain qualification from 10 points (which is the amount required for everyone in the Senior and Master divisions in real life) to 5 points to allow more people the opportunity to qualify.

As with real life National Championships have the most Championship Points on offer as well as a multitude of large and exciting rewards for success so racking up those Play Points is important as it takes off the pressure of the last chance qualifier.

Below are the lists of Play Points which will be awarded at each different tournament:

League Challenges:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 200, align: center]

[/TABLE]

Cities Championship:

[/TABLE]

Regionals Championship:

[/TABLE]

National Championship:

[/TABLE]

Tournament Structure:

It should be noted to those that are used to the real life tournaments that as I am from the United Kingdom and we have no State/Province/Territory tournaments so the online season will match that of the real life game over here in the United Kingdom with just League Challenges, City Championships, Regionals, Nationals and Worlds.

As with the real life game we will start the season with Fall League Challenges, follow with Regionals, continue with Winter Cities and then finish with Spring League Challenges and Regionals.

The format of each tournament will vary somewhat between tournaments, but every tournament will have several Swiss rounds (the number of which depending on the number of entrants) and then a Top Cut of straight knock-out games between the top finishers during Swiss rounds (between the Top 2 and the Top 8 dependent again on the number of entrants).

All games will be best of three apart from the final which will now be hosted in a best of 5 format, this is in order to make luck less of a deciding factor in who wins the tournaments. Unlike real life deck changes will be allowed in between rounds but not in-between single games. Further details on rules are available in the post below.

The Format Rules:

> The format for all of the tournaments will be Modified and will match the real life tournament legal format [at the moment NXD-Onwards].

> All matches in all tournament apart from the final will be best of 3 to prevent luck becoming too dominating a factor in the games.

> The final will be in best of 5 format.

> Deck changes will be allowed in between each round but not in between each single game.

> All cards with bugs that are advantageous to the user most of the time are banned, and all others are not recommended (please ask if unsure on card bugs).

> People caught cheating on purpose in matches will receive a permanent ban from all future tournaments held by me. People who lie about their results will receive the same punishment.

> If someone’s internet disconnects within the first two turns (per person) and no cards have been knocked-out the match will be re-started.

> If someone’s internet disconnects and that person has a lead of two Prizes or more then that match will be re-started (exception being if that person is about to deck-out or would probably lose the game in some other way).

> Other than that it is at the opponents discretion as to whether to re-match or not.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Current Standings:

PositionNameTotal Championship PointsTotal Play Points Win Ratio1st PlaceMatthew690 CP0 PP0 % [0-0]2[/TD]34567891011121314151617181920

[TD]

[/Table]

Sign-Up Sheets:

DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGE: [sIGN-UPS OPEN]

Name

Overall match record

Overall game record

1. Jasonwee

3-0

6-0

2. Matthew69

2-1

5-2

3. Grizzlych

2-1

4-2

4. RoyalDuke

2-1

4-2

5. Freespirit87

2-1

4-2

6. Seeker33

2-1

4-2

7. BlueSanity

2-1

4-3

8. Daiin92

1-2

2-4

9. Chelloz

1-2

2-4

10. Moody117

1-2

2-4

11. VictiniCup

1-2

2-4

12. Jasonjasonlin

0-3

0-6

13. LetsgoMets123

0-3

0-6

14. Lucky369

0-3

0-6

[/TABLE]

Pairings:

DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGE-ROUND 1 PAIRINGS: [COMPLETED]

Table Number

Names of opponents

Game score

LetsGoMets123 Versus Chelloz

0-2

JasonWee Versus Seeker33

2-0

Grizzlych Versus Daiin92

2-0

JasonJasonlin Versus Moody117

0-2

Lucky369 Versus BlueSanity

0-2

RoyalDuke Versus Freespirit87

2-0

Matthew69 Versus VictiniCup

2-0

[/TABLE]

DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGE-ROUND 2 PAIRINGS: [COMPLETED]

Table Number

Names of opponents

Game score

Matthew69 Versus Moody117

2-0

RoyalDuke Versus Grizzlych

0-2

BlueSanity Versus Jasonwee

0-2

Chelloz Versus Seeker33

0-2

Daiin92 Versus VictiniCup

2-0

LetsGoMets123 Versus Freespirit87

0-2

Lucky369 Versus Jasonjasonlin

0-0

[/TABLE]

DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGE-ROUND 3 PAIRINGS: [COMPLETE]

Table Number

Names of opponents

Game score

Jasonwee Versus Grizzlych

2-0

Matthew69 Versus BlueSanity

1-2

Moody117 Versus RoyalDuke

0-2

Chelloz Versus FreeSpirit87

0-2

Daiin92 Versus Seeker33

0-2

Jasonjasonlin Versus VictiniCup

0-2

LetsgoMets123 Versus Lucky369

0-0

[/TABLE]

DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGE-TOP 8 PAIRINGS: [COMPLETE]

Table Number

Names of opponents

Game score

Jasonwee Versus Daiin92

0-0

Matthew69 Versus Grizzlych

2-0

BlueSanity Versus Seeker33

0-0

[/b]

RoyalDuke Versus FreeSpirit87

0-2

[/TABLE]

Announcements:

1. THE CHAMPIONSHIP HOME PAGE IS NOW OPEN:

-23/11/13

After a long time setting up The Championship Home Page is now open for everyone to post! The thread is still under quite a bit of maintenance though so expect to see some changes over the coming weeks.

2. SIGN-UPS FOR THE DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGE ARE OPEN:

-23/11/13

Sign-ups for the first tournament are now officially open, please could everyone who wishes to enter the tournament please just post here and state that you would like to join. You can also PM any of our moderators in game and they will add you to the list.

3. THE LIST OF MODERATORS WILL BE UP SOON I AM NOT TAKING REQUESTS:

-23/11/13

In order to help with the smooth running of the thread I will be enlisting the help of a few moderators at some point in the near future, I am going to be asking a few of my friends who also have experience in tournament running to help out so at the moment I am not taking any requests for being a Moderator.

4. THE COMPLETE LIST OF FORUM RULES IS NOW COMPLETED, CHECK THEM OUT:

-24/11/13

I have now written up all of the major rules that we have on this thread and detailed the punishments that you will receive for breaking them, please remember that all PTCGO Forum rules still apply and that the rules and punishments that we hand out are subject to change at a future date if deemed necessary.

5. PAIRINGS FOR ROUND 1 OF THE DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGE ARE NOW AVAILABLE:

-29/11/13

All of the pairings for Round 1 of the Dragonvale League Challenge can now be seen on the first page in the "Pairings" section. Remember the tournament is in Swiss format and not straight knock-out and the matches are all best of 3 and using only Modified legal decks. Good luck to everyone and I would like all of the matches to be completed by four days time if possible (pairings for Round 2 will be available Wednesday evening).

6. PAIRINGS FOR ROUND 2 OF THE DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGER ARE NOW AVAILABLE:

-8/12/13

All of the pairings for Round 2 of the Dragonvale League Challenge can now be seen on the first page in the "Pairings" section. Remember the tournament is in Swiss format and not straight knock-out and the matches are all best of 3 and using only Modified legal decks. Good luck to everyone and I would like all of the matches to be completed by four days time if possible (pairings for Round 3 should be available Thursday evening).

7. PAIRINGS FOR ROUND 3 OF THE DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGER ARE NOW AVAILABLE:

-20/12/13

All of the pairings for Round 3 of the Dragonvale League Challenge can now be seen on the first page in the "Pairings" section. Remember the tournament is in Swiss format and not straight knock-out and the matches are all best of 3 and using only Modified legal decks. Good luck to everyone and I would like all of the matches to be completed by four days time if possible more time will be allowed for the round because of Christmas if needed.

8. SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN' ON PTCGO THIS CHRISTMAS EVE!

-20/12/13

That's right everyone, as explained in the "Competitions and Side Tournaments" in more detail, Santa Claus is coming to PTCGO this Christmas Eve to give away some fantastic presents and spread the Christmas cheer! If you are interested check back in a couple of days when the time that Santa Claus will come in revealed.

9. SANTA CLAUS CAME TO TOWN: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

-25/12/13

Thanks to everyone who turned up to my quiz in the Pokemon Fan Chat Lobby and I hope you all had a great time whether you won something or not, and sorry if you couldn't make it. Anyway I wish you all a very Merry Christmas from the Championship!

10. HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM!

-01/01/13

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for making these tournaments a success so far and I hope that we will continue to great success this season and I will inspire people to make tournaments of their own as I would love to see more fun competition and events going on in the PTCGO calender.

11. PAIRINGS FOR TOP 8 OF THE DRAGONVALE LEAGUE CHALLENGER ARE NOW AVAILABLE:

-13/01/14

All of the pairings for the Top 8 of the Dragonvale League Challenge can now be seen on the first page in the "Pairings" section. Remember the tournament is in Swiss format and not straight knock-out and the matches are all best of 3 and using only Modified legal decks. Good luck to everyone and I would like all of the matches to be completed by four days time if possible although extra time might be allowed.

Moderators and Forum Rules:

Forum Rules:

The Forum Rules here at The Championship Home Page are pretty much the same as the general Forum Rules for the PTCGO website, just incase you didn't know the rules or there are a few differences here to the Forums I am going to list them anyway. All the rules are important to make sure that everyone has a really great time so make sure to keep to them!

>No sharing of any personal details such as E-Mail Addresses or Phone Numbers. This is against the rules of the whole PTCGO Forum and it is potentially dangerous, anyone seen to be doing this will be warned and a repeat will lead to a permanent ban from this page and all our tournaments.

>Please try to avoid double posting in a row when possible and edit your previous post instead. This isn't the most important rule but if people are breaking this rule often and are seen to be spamming the page they will be warned and then later banned permanently if it continues.

>Do not upset other players. We understand that sometimes things can happen by accident and we will take this into account but any repeated instances will most likely result in a ban from all my tournaments and this Forum page and you will be reported to the moderators.

>Absolutely no bullying. This is a pretty standard rule but if we see someone repeatedly insulting someone for no good reason and making them feel bad then it will be an immediate permanent ban and you will be reported to the PTCGO staff immediately.

>Please only post stuff that is relevant to Pokemon on this thread, if you are posting something which is very unrelated and off topic you will be warned and continued ignorance of this rule could then result in a permanent ban.

I think that is everything but this might be updated from time to time so make sure to keep an eye out for any changes (if there are changes I will also post elsewhere on the thread and it will be recorded also in the "Announcements" section of the Home Page.

Also bear in mind that every other rule that the PTCGO Forum has also applies to this page as well so just because it isn't in our rules doesn't mean it isn't a rule you need to abide by when using this thread.

Moderators:

*COMING SOON*

Competitions and Side Tournaments:

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town': [COMPLETED]

..............................................^...................................................

..............................................88..................................................

...........................................88888...............................................

.........................................88888888...........................................

......................................88888888888........................................

......................................88888888888........................................

....................................88888888888888....................................

..................................8888888888888888..................................

...............................8888888888888888888...............................

..............................88888888888888888888..............................

..........................................888888..............................................

..........................................888888..............................................

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

Whether you believe in Santa or are Christian or not I believe that Christmas is a great time for everybody to come together in great festive spirit, and I know that for many people the highlight of Christmas is the sending and receiving of gifts, which is in my opinion the perfect way to spread the festive cheer.

And of course it wouldn't be Christmas present giving without Santa Claus! And to celebrate Christmas Eve on the 24th of December I will be hosting (along with a couple of other people possibly) a fantastic Quiz with free prizes ranging from Trainers and Holo Rares to Booster Packs and even some EX cards!

All you need to do to win is to be the quickest to answer one of my Christmas Quiz Questions (all of them with a Pokemon theme) and you will receive your prize. In order to get your prize you must tag a random card in your binder that you will trade for that prize and then add me as a Friend, and I will send you your prize. Simple as that!

The exact time of this incredible present giveaway will be announced in a couple of days time, but remember you better watch out, you better not cry I'm telling you why... because Santa Claus is coming to Town!

The Trading Card League: Battle Frontier (#TCL):

-Embark on the ultimate challenge, to be the best like no one ever was!

The TCL CEO:

Matthew69

Introducing the TCL, Our Objective:

-Defeat the Frontier Brains, and then face the ultimate challenge of beating the Frontier 4 in order to enter the Hall of Fame, and be crowned the PTCGO champion!

The Trading Card League (TCL for short) is the longest running and most successful ongoing competitive event in PTCGO history, and one which has been an honour for me to have been involved in, both as an original founder and later as a member of the Frontier 4 and a Frontier Brain. As such I am truly honoured to have been bestowed the role of taking over the TCL for the foreseeable future. Through my time as leader, however long that shall be, I hope that I will be able to observe the thread flourishing to new levels of success and popularity, and I would like to thank my incredible Frontier Brain team for enabling me to continue this competition.

It isn't all about the incredible dedication of those who have organized the thread and taken on the roles of Frontier Brains and members of the elite Frontier Four, indeed the tournament would mean nothing if it wasn't for the continuing support of the community.

Hundreds of competitors have challenged over the last couple of years since the thread was initially founded, and we have as leaders had a fantastic time battling against players of all abilities from experienced masters to newer and more casual challengers, and all have found it a fun and enriching experience! It certainly isn't an easy feat though, only but a few have ever succeeded in victory and ascended to the Hall of fame, but you never know...maybe you could be next! Why not pit your wits against our incredible Frontier Brain team, challenge yourself to battling at a new level of intensity in the various different battling format options, and maybe one day you will reach the ultimate position as the PTCGO Champion!

In summation our objective is simple; we want to provide a great and rewarding experience for everyone in the Pokemon community, whether just starting out or an experienced competitor, we want to challenge everyone to achieve the best that they can and reach for the stars!

How the TCL works, Rules and Regulations:

Challengers can choose any deck that they wish and there are no limitations to the cards that can be used in the deck, other than that which is implied by the particular format that you choose, and of course by the regular PTCGO rules themselves. Once you have selected the deck with which you would like to challenge the Battle Frontier, and completed your first match, you will not be able to change your deck again until you have completed the challenge! If you lose a match or would like to restart the challenge with a different deck, then please post on the thread that you wish to 'Reset.' This will remove all of the previous TCL games you have won, and you will need to challenge again should you wish to do so.

If you lose a game to one of the Brains, and have yet to reach a checkpoint, then you are placed onto a 48-hour cooldown list after your defeat, and all of the Gym badges you may have previously collected are now void. If you have managed to reach a checkpoint then you will only lose any Frontier badges that you have obtained after the checkpoint has been cleared, but any badges from before you reached the checkpoint can be kept. Should you wish to change your deck at any point however you will need to reset the challenge and start again, losing all of the badges you had obtained before.

You do not need to challenge the Frontier Brains in any particular order. Just find any of the Frontier Brains that are listed at the top of the Front Page of this thread in game, send them a Friend Request and try to organize a game with them in game. Please acknowledge that the leaders may not be able to find the time to play to battle when you PM them if they are busy elsewhere, but hopefully they will be able to accommodate a time for you to battle as soon as they are able to do so.

To challenge one of the Frontier Brains to a challenge you also need to decide what level of which to challenge at: Modified (Beginner, Intermediate or Expert), Unlimited or Expanded. Despite the names participating at Beginner level doesn't mean you have to be new to the game by any means, and likewise for Expert you don't have to be a longstanding player in the game, they are just names given to the various game formats of which we accept challenges in, providing a wide basis for fun and creativity!

Modified Format Levels:

Explanation:Each of the three levels are for Boundaries Crossed onwards only.

- Beginner: Only Pokemon with maximum 100 HP, No EX's are allowed.

- Intermediate: All cards in Modified are allowed to be used aside from EX's.

- Expert: Every single card from the Standard, modified format is legal

Checkpoints at 3,5,8 badges

Note: When you lose to a Frontier Brain in battle, you will be either be set back to the nearest checkpoint you have passed, or if you have yet to pass a checkpoint, back to zero badges.

Expanded Format:

Explanation:Every single card from the sets from Black & White Base set to Furious Fists are allowed.

Note: When you lose to a Frontier Brain in battle, you will be either be set back to the nearest checkpoint you have passed, or if you have yet to pass a checkpoint, back to zero badges.

Unlimited Format:

Explanation:You can use cards from every single set currently available on PTCGO (HGSS-Onwards).

Meeting the team, the Frontier Four:

Alright then everybody who has posted here so far has been added to the "Tournament Sign-Up Sheet" for the Dragonvale League Challenge. If anyone else is interested please sign-up ASAP as the first round pairings will be available Friday night (Around 8 PM GMT) so everyone must have signed up before that time.

Is there a prize? If so I would like to join.

Yes there will be prizes for the winner :) I haven't quite decided on the Prizes thus far and as League Challenges are quite small in real life the prizes won't be as much in this tournament compared to some future tournaments. The winner will receive at least a couple of packs though and probably some cards too.

Alright I have signed both of you up, we now have 10 players currently but there are an unlimited number of places available so you can still sign-up if you want to. Also if anyone needs to drop out please contact me before the tournament starts or if mid tournament please post here or message me to tell me to give your opponent for that round a bye and register that you have dropped from the tournament.

I have also now written up the up-to-date rules for this Forum page and the punishments you will receive for committing a certain offense. If you think I have missed something important out it would be very helpful if you could post here or contact me at some point to let me know. Thanks everyone!

so matt, any idea when this thing is going to start yet? or are you waiting for a certain ammount of participants?

Our planned start time was going to be somewhere on Friday evening and I have every intention of keeping that time so everyone should check out the pairings tomorrow some-time when I get them up.

Archived