A note from the Dev team regarding Windows 8.1 issues

TPCi_Mathis

After escalating several reports of the Windows 8.1 crashing issues that have been reported from the community, one of the engineers provided me with the following response:

There is a strong possibility that this is being caused by video card driver issues. Do you know if any of these customers have tried updating their graphics drivers since reporting the issue?

Windows 8.1 has caused most of the graphics manufacturers difficulty since it's release and have been releasing drivers more frequently because of that. nVidia released a driver on the 7th attempting to fix compatibility issues but wound up causing more and had to release another driver which came out Tuesday. Many of the users who got the 11/7 driver complained of crashing apps on 8.1 and the 11/19 driver has appeared to fix that.

Users with nVidia cards can get the latest drivers directly from http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Users with AMD cards can get the latest drivers directly from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Other users may need to consult their manufacturer if they cannot update with those links (Intel chipsets, etc.)

While I do believe it is a strong possibility that this is a video driver related issue, we will be performing some analysis and testing on our side to see if we can find other ways to make this happen. If any of the customers have updated to the latest video drivers and are still experiencing this issue, that information will also be very helpful. Once we are able to get the DxDiag's, we may be able to identify other potential causes for this behavior if it is not as simple as a driver update.

If you're running Windows 8.1 and are experiencing crashing problems with the game client, please attempt to update to the latest drivers for your graphics card. If you continue to experience this issue after doing so, please go to http://www.pokemon.com/support and create a ticket. Please be as specific as possible with the issue you are experiencing, and attach a DxDiag report for your system so that the Dev team can investigate the issue further.

Hello, sorry for the intrusion.

I actually managed to fix my crashes issues.

Here is how, I hope it'll be usefull.

The following help is for Nvidia users, I don't know the AMD control panel, but it has to be quite similar.

If you have a graphic card (non integrated):

- Open the Control Panel.

- Look for your GC control panel (Nvidia/AMD)

- Open the section to "manage 3D settings"

- At "Select a program to customize" click on the "Add" button and look for the PTCGO launcher.

- At "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" chose the "High-performance NVIDIA processor"

- "Apply" at the right bottom

in short, you guys aren't gonna do anything about it.

Are you open to the idea that this isn't a problem with the game, but with the Windows 8.1 operating system? If not, do a quick online search for "Windows 8.1 problems" and let me know what you find. In fact, here's a quote from a PCWorld article about the Windows 8.1 launch:

The rocky rollout of Windows 8.1 should serve as a reminder for consumers, software developers, hardware vendors, enterprise IT pros, and Microsoft itself that a period of careful testing and analysis must precede the release and installation of an operating system update.

After it shipped on Oct. 17, Windows 8.1 in certain scenarios clashed with incompatible software, crashed due to outdated firmware, and stumbled over unrecognized drivers.

Affected users faced different problems, including computers that couldn’t boot up, peripherals that malfunctioned, software that couldn’t be run, and OS installations that couldn’t be completed. Some issues have been resolved while others have not.

Flaws with the hardware or software (with the exception of the Pokemon TCG Online) on your computer are completely out of our control. We can do our best to point you in the direction of a fix for these issues, but we cannot "re-code" the game to work around them. For example:

• The RAM chips on your computer are not being read properly due to a short on your motherboard, resulting in a game crash upon launch. That's a problem with your hardware, not the game, so we can't fix that.
  • Windows 8.1 has a bug which causes your video card drivers to render all of the in-game text in hot pink. That's a problem with your operating system, not the game, so we can't fix that.
  • You have very aggressive anti-virus/firewall software installed and it blocks the game from connecting to the internet. That's a problem with another piece of software, not the game, so we can't fix that.

We have an obligation to offer technical support for the game. We do not have an obligation to offer technical support for your computer as a whole. We do our best to point folks in the right direction when we come across issues that are out of our control, but we have neither the bandwidth nor the technical knowledge of your personal PC configuration to serve as your personal IT department.

As the original post stated, we're open to the idea that this issue is not associated with the Windows 8.1 video card drivers bug. A list of instructions were provided in that same post on how to attempt to fix this issue, as well as instructions for what information we'll need from users if the recommended solution does not work. I'd hardly say that we've elected to do nothing about this issue.

As a previous poster mentioned, forcing their video card (I assume they have nvidia optimus) to the discrete nvidia card, as opposed to the on board intel fixed their issue. I have an intel card and am experiencing the issue as well in Windows 8.1. I'm certainly open to the idea that it's an intel issue, but I can tell you the 11/20 driver did not resolve it. Perhaps isolating it to a specific type of card would be helpful to your team? My specific issue is that I reproducibly crash using "quick start" from single player. Hope it helps, i'd love to play this on my surface.

i actually managed to fix my crashes issues.

Here is how, i hope it'll be usefull.

The following help is for nvidia users, i don't know the amd control panel, but it has to be quite similar.

if you have a graphic card (non integrated):

- open the control panel.

- look for your gc control panel (nvidia/amd)

- open the section to "manage 3d settings"

- at "select a program to customize" click on the "add" button and look for the ptcgo launcher.

- at "select the preferred graphics processor for this program" chose the "high-performance nvidia processor"

- "apply" at the right bottom

zenoo0,

As an FYI, I added your workaround to the ticket in the bug database that we're using to track this issue. One of the engineers replied with the following:

The option mentioned in step 5 will only exist for nVidia Optimus users (laptops with a discrete chip and nVidia chip, usually Intel/nVidia laptops) and in order to resolve any crashing issues that are driver related, the user would need to update BOTH chips. While the solution proposed on the forums may resolve that user's issue, it is not a preferred solution as it's telling the laptop to only use the high-powered nVidia chip for our game which will eat through the laptop batteries much faster (though will provide a better playing experience). This would defeat the purpose of the Optimus chipset which is designed to use a lower-powered discrete chipset (intel usually) whenever possible so as to conserve on energy utilization.

What this would indicate is that this user might have updated nVidia drivers without updating the discrete drivers (most likely Intel), or that there might be additional Windows 8.1 issues related to Optimus chipset support on the driver side.

linuxpng,

As mentioned in the engineer's comment in the original post, if you have updated your drivers and are still experiencing issues, please file a support ticket with a DxDiag for your system. The more of these files we receive, the more likely it is that our team can identify the cause and come to a definitive conclusion as to whether it's an issue with the game or with a specific piece of hardware/software.

Yeah, I know it actually defeats the Optimus' purpose, but this is the only solution i found.

Of course I already did update my intel driver before (Intel HD Graph 4000, 10.18.10.3355 version), but it didn't work.

And one last thing : I'm not running a Windows 8.1 version. I'm still with Windows 8.

Anyway, this actually worked perfectly for me, I'll keep it until a proper solution is found.

PS : I already sent my DxDiag

The following help is for Nvidia users, I don't know the AMD control panel, but it has to be quite similar.

What a life saver! I have Nvidia and it worked perfectly for me (I updated to Windows 8.1 yesterday, and I'm kind of regretting it...)! Thank you so much!

Can you elaborate any on what issue they found? Does your organization have any means to reach out to Intel with your findings as well? Any help so we can report this to intel is very appreciated. We just really want to play your game :)

-Steve

Although I have not seen any mention of a fix my game works since the update.

I spoke to soon. It just crashed again. However, I was able to play a few battles first. I was not able to do that previously.

Has anyone experience, when playing PTCGO, a windows pop-up window comes up and says PTCGO has stopped working. If anyone has also experienced these problems, please can you tell me how to fix them.

same problem as me, i've had that issue for a few weeks now. mainly happens when it says "first win" and stuff, occasionally when you are looking at a hover over of a pokemon mid battle, and when i talk in chat. The problem at least for me stems from this https://communities.intel.com/message/216226#216226 <-- intel forum. As, far as i know there really is no fix for it at the moment the new driver on 11/20 did not fix any of the issues i have.

I have no idea what is going on. I am a Windows user but I don't know what driver I'm using. I also have no idea what a driver is, that's also a problem. I tried the two links that the admin provided but when I opened either them they both said that my computer wasn't compatible. Again, I have no clue when it comes to this, so if anybody could give me the caveman version of everything, that would be greatly appreciated.

You are my hero.

• 2 weeks later...

prof mathis, I don't know you but in real life youre probably a real mean person. "Are you open to the idea that this is not a problem with the game?" Dude, imagine someone saying that to your face. it makes you sound like a mean guy. obviously IS a problem with the game because ive played this game on my friends laptop. ALMOST. he has had an account since 2008. AND....... guess what world? it didn't work!!!!!!!! Its funny because in the terms of agreement, it says to not tell everyone about the problem to save the "reputation" of the site. Yeah dude, come on. Its a problem with the game so fix it before I throw my laptop through A BRICK WALL.

From the Official Forum Code of Conduct:

MODERATOR INTERACTION POLICYModerators help maintain a positive environment that everyone can enjoy and are responsible for enforcing the policies detailed above in a fair and impartial manner. Community members are expected to treat the moderation team with respect and to comply with any instructions given.

We completely understand your frustration, but please know that we're doing our best to accommodate users with this OS. As Prof. Mathis has stated, Windows 8.1 is causing problems for many people across many different programs. If you have not tried the solutions suggested in this thread and this announcement, we encourage you to do so.

Thanks for your understanding!

I tried installing the new driver for my computer, it's not compatible. No the only problem I have is why I try to open my packs. I know you say stuff like the graphics driver on 8.1 is wrong, but have you even considered that it might be a problem with the game.

Going to re-install to see if it fixes anything.

I think that the issue here is that we are left to our own devices to report a 'bug' that we know nothing about. I cannot find an appropriate place to report it to intel on the link given. Does your organization have any interaction to help us report this to intel? Anything to help us would be appreciated.

-Steve

Hey, i have a 3rd gen intel i5 processor with HD4000 graphics. I am running windows 8.1. I have the newest intel driver. I get several game crashes in the following instances: using in game/lobby chat, going into collection then packs, going into the shop, receiving the "first win" screen after a trainer challenge and other various cut scene things, and hovering over certain cards to bring up their details. So far no fix i've been able to find and it has been around 45 days of looking.

Archived