Poison themed Unlimited deck (need help)

Cheizes

Edit: November 19, 2013 @ 4:31pm

Since I've created this post I've made a number of revisions and I've seen some positive results I'll share the revised version below (any comments or ideas for more revision are still appreciated) but first a little about the deck:

a Psychic / Dark deck. The idea was created around the Stadium card Virbank City Gym, and was designed to poison the opponent to death while hopefully dealing some heavy damage at the same time.

Pokémon (x16):

2 Venipede (Boundaries Crossed)

1 Whirlipede (Boundaries Crossed)

1 Whirlipede (Emerging Powers)

1 Scolipede (Boundaries Crossed)

2 Zubat (Plasma Storm)

1 Golbat (Plasma Storm)

1 Team Plasma Crobat (Plasma Storm)

2 Grimer (Plasma Freeze)

1 Muk (Undaunted)

2 Stunky (Dragons Exalted)

2 Skuntank (Dragons Exalted)

1 Mewtwo EX (Legendary Treasures)

Trainers (x29):

1 Energy Switch

2 Full Heal

4 Hypnotoxic Laser

2 Pokémon Catcher

2 Pokémon Communication

1 Rare Candy

1 Super Rod

1 Switch

2 Tool Scrapper

1 Town Map

2 Cilan

1 Professor Elm's Training Method

2 Professor Oak's New Theory

4 Virbank City Gym

1 Rock Guard

Energy (x15):

Psychic (x8)

Dark (x6)

Blend Energy (x1)

would be easier for us to review the deck if you listed everything by name only, most of the time we know which pokemon you're talking about if you just quote the expansion set it came from.

not a good idea to just run 1 of each pokemon, just takes a knockout on venipede to render your whilipede and scolipede useless, not to mention prizing either 1 of them renders the whole family useless.

Just because you like a certain pokemon doesn't you have to use it, you're putting too much variety in the deck at the moment and its going to be hard to get the right pokemon, and with 1 level ball you're not really going to get good results.

putting dark claw for that 1 pokemon probably isn't worth it.

consider plasma crobat if ur playing with poison

How is town map supposed to help you?

if its a poison deck why only 1 laser?

cilan isn't going to be that helpful, seems like you're the type that doesn't like Junipers and N, if so more oak's theory is still better than cilan, getting a bunch of energy in your hand when u can only attach 1 isn't that useful.

probabaly don't need to run that many darkness energy, might even be worth considering to use the darkness/fire Blend energy as well

Overall still a lot of work to do on this deck

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Sorry if I sound unprofessional. I've only got one or two friends that will play with me outside PTCGO, and not that many inside so I'm not that caught up with how everything works in the community just yet. Anyway...

would be easier for us to review the deck if you listed everything by name only, most of the time we know which pokemon you're talking about if you just quote the expansion set it came from.

Yeah I wasn't sure on what layout would have been best. I was going to do that but I thought it might be easier for anyone who didn't know the cards by heart but yeah should have figured that.

not a good idea to just run 1 of each pokemon, just takes a knockout on venipede to render your whilipede and scolipede useless, not to mention prizing either 1 of them renders the whole family useless.

Frankly I only have one because, well, that's how many I have. in other words I don't have a lot of money to pool into buying cards. It's not a strategy that I have 1 of a certain card its because I haven't gotten around to acquiring multiples. But I do see what you're saying about only having 1.

Just because you like a certain pokemon doesn't you have to use it, you're putting too much variety in the deck at the moment and its going to be hard to get the right pokemon, and with 1 level ball you're not really going to get good results.

I didn't choose the Pokémon because I like them, but rather the narrow concept that they could poison the opponent (Which I'm aware is weak reasoning). Hence the post asking for insight. :) How would you suggest eliminating the variety issue? I did notice the probability downside which I attempted to counter by using professor elm and the Pokémon Communication to acquire the cards I need but there might be an easier method I'm not thinking of that could save me some space.

consider plasma crobat if ur playing with poison

I actually was thinking of doing that because of the card's ability I just never got around. I am sitting on two PB packs so I'm thinking to trade those for the cards I would need.

How is town map supposed to help you?

Town map is a generally good card to have in any deck in my opinion for finding cards you need that aren't in your deck, but the main reason I added it to my deck is because originally I only had 1 Virbank City Gym and it seemed to end up in my prize cards often enough that it was an issue, and since its the staple of my strategy (A major downside to this deck I know) I added town map for when I needed to find it in my prize cards.

if its a poison deck why only 1 laser?

Same reason I only have 1 of other cards; I do plan on acquiring more. Room was also an issue but as you mentioned the dark claw may not be worth it and there may be an easier way to fix the probability of drawing the right card so...

cilan isn't going to be that helpful, seems like you're the type that doesn't like Junipers and N, if so more oak's theory is still better than cilan, getting a bunch of energy in your hand when u can only attach 1 isn't that useful. [/Quote]

You probably have a point there. I tend to do that with most of my decks though for fear of energy shortage, but in most cases I do end up with too much during battle. Oak sounds good though.

probabaly don't need to run that many darkness energy, might even be worth considering to use the darkness/fire Blend energy as well

Overall still a lot of work to do on this deck

Yeah I never know how much energy to do for both, I usually count up the total needed for the whole deck to function and then assume less of that. I'll look into the blend energies.

Yeah I'm hoping to see more results once I make some changes. Like I said this is the first deck I've built from scratch so I don't have a base to go on. (Still learning).

I just have one last question- I know every deck is a little bit different but how would you go about divvying up the amount of Pokémon, trainer, and energy cards spread throughout the deck? I'm curious what other people's methods are.

Thanks again,

Cheizes

generic ratio tends to be about 15/30/15 for pokemon/trainer/energy trainer tends to be the one that goes higher than said number and energy tends to be the one secrificed.

it seems the main problem is your limited collection I guess, not really much we can do about that except use what you have. recommendations at this point probably would be kinda meaningless unfortunately since you wouldn't be able to get your hands on them

with regards to town map I think what you say makes sense, I guess in proper decks people will run multiple copies of something so prizing 1 or 2 isn't too devastating

I've played about 10 games and wrote down some of the issues to be fixed and am currently on the hunt for Zubat and Golbat (which shouldn't be too hard) I apparently already have a plasma Crobat so that's taken care of. I just have to hunt down some blend energies and work out the rest of the kinks. Thinking of trying to add a Mewtwo ex. If anyone else has any more input I would appreciate it. Thanks again Cronophysicist.

if you can get your hands on one a crobat prime is a much better choice requiring only 1 physic energy and also having a secondary attack to chip away at other pokemon as poison takes care of the rest.

Archived