Adapting to the enemy

Silver-Solis

as we all know each player has a battle style and a specific card set up

But,how fast can you adapt to the other player this is sort of like a survey and/or discussion about adapting to the enemy

The key is most likely going to be disruption, if they are running a stage 2 deck of some kind target down the basic pokemon of that evolution line. The fewer of those they have at their disposal the better for you. Or maybe they are using hard hitting big basic pokemon who can attack early game. Things like hammers, lasers and tool scrappers are your best friends in these situations. Also its a good idea to have a backup strategy as a quick counter to things like this. For example Terrakion from boundaried crossed is a nice counter card to stick into a deck with the likelihood of running into Darkrai. Or maybe their strategy relies highly on the ability to view many cards in their deck as quick as possible. N's and other cards that force them to draw a new hand or discard portions of there current one can also help slow down a strategy.

Hope this was helpful to you, the more you play the more quickly you will begin to identify how a specific deck sets up or a specific player goes about there setup. So on that note the second key i would say is practice, practice and more practice.

I think Silver was just surverying on peoples experience in adapting in a game rather than looking for advice on how to adapt in a game, so my reply's gonna be more on my experiences with adapting in a game.

speed of adapting would have to depend on the amount of information given. in most cases when a player draws no basics and shows me his non-basic hand of 7 I can get a very good idea of what I'm going up against and figure out what needs to be done, if he draw no basics multiple times and i see no evolutions that's enough grounds to say that the guy is very likely playing big basics, and from the energy cards (water and darkness is quite obvious) I can more or less work out what type the deck is going to be.

if he does draw basics first time round then its a lot harder because I essentially have no idea what I'm going up against and adapting from there can be harder. but often seeing the opponent's first pokemon is still very informative already, normally it will already tell me a couple things:

1. are my lasers gonna be useful (virizion/keldeox2 decks)

2. are my enhanced hammers gonna be useful (plasma decks)

3. will I need my garbodor (virizion/blastoise etc)

4. how much time do I have (stage 2 vs basic)

these information will be needed mostly to help me decide whether its worthwhile playing the juniper, or choosing what to discard to play ultra ball or other discarding cards.

of course there are stuff that will take longer to adapt to, garbodors tends to show up quite early in a match if the opponent's strategy relies on it but it really can show up at any time so the scrappers I tend to be reluctant to discard too early, same reasoning goes for stuff like silver mirror.

probably the harder stuff to adapt to is if the opponent can play a pokemon and immediately follow up with an attack. this is probably why mewtwo is still scary in many cases, the fact that it comes out of nowhere and can immediately attack for a hefty amount of damage if you've got the dce/blastoise/emboar/badge+col mach to charge it can really make a difference in a match.

lastly I would say the ability to adapt can still be dependent on the luck. sometime su know you play certain cards to adapt to certain situations but the supportors just won't give you the cards u needs, or you've prized your solution to the problem, in those cases you can only do you best with what you've got I guess, and I guess its worth noting the importance of familiarising yourself to your decks. back when I first started and played only a handful of decks it was easier to know how to adapt to certain situations because I knew those decks so well, once you've built over certain number of decks you start to get confused and forget whether you did include a certain card in this build and if you did, how many did you put in, and often making the mistake of thinking you have a certain card in your build when in fact you don't can really cost you if you realise it too late.

Archived