Junk Arm

Ade4265

I have a question regarding the rulings of Junk Arm.

-

A while back I found the rulings for Zoroark's Foul Play attack on The Pokemon Rulings Compendium that says Zoroark doesn't need to discard the fire energy when copying Reshiram's Blue Flare attack if Zoroark doesn't have fire energy attached to it.

-

With this in mind, can you discard just 1 card from your hand with Junk Arm if you only have 1 card in your hand and still search out a Trainer card from your discard pile?

Unfortantely, no.

The difference between Zoroark's Foul Play and the Junk Arm cards is that Zoroark copies the abilities of another card for its attack. The descirption of Foul Play does not say anything about having to pay the "attack cost".

Junk Arm, on the other hand, you must have it and two other cards in your hand before you can play it, since Junk Arm's "cost" is to discard two cards from your hand. If you cannot discard two cards, you cannot play the card.

However, if a different card were to copy the effect of Junk Arm, and mentions nothing about "paying the cost" (won't be in those words), then you wouldn't have to discard. (I am not sure about an example to this right now.)

The thing about Blue Flare etcetera is that it's not a cost, it's something that happens afterwards. You MUST do it, IF you can do it. So, if you can somehow use Reshiram's Blue Flare attack without any Fire energies (note: energies, NOT energy cards, so Rainbow Energy won't work as it also counts as a Fire energy!), you'd be able to use it without discarding anything even though you're using the original Reshiram and not a copycat like Zoruark.

At least, that's how I interpret the rule. It doesn't seem like Blue Flare's effect's a cost, otherwise it would've said "discard 2R to use this attack" or something. It more seems as an additional effect on top of the damage. As also shown in-game, the discarding happens afterwards, and not beforehand. Anyway, it doesn't matter, as it comes down to the same thing.

Archived