Could we have 4 tiers for PvP rather than just novice and expert?

CBRJGWRR

The problem is Novice doesn't give out tokens, so everyone goes on expert because you get 1 token whether you win or lose (unless you're the disadvantage player, in which case you get 3 tokens for a win) What it leads to is newbies running altered Basic theme decks against Pros running Tournament level decks, which causes frustration on both sides. What we need is a 4 tier system: Novice, Normal, Expert, Professional. It's fairly straight forward - newbies run in novice, 1 token for a loss, 2 for a win. Normal is for those who are above Novice, but don't have good enough cards for expert. 1 token for a loss, 6 for a win. Expert is where the not quite tournament level people run not quite tournament level decks. 1 token for a loss still, but 15 for a win. And Professional is obvious, 1 token for a loss, 25 for a win. This way, you wind up playing matches appropriate to your ability. What do you reckon? (Sorry for lack of spacing the enter/return key appears to be useless on here for an unknown reason...)

why can't i take my modified theme deck and try my luck for 25 then? might as well

what's stopping pros from playing expert to get 15 tokens more consistently?

the line between each tier is not clearly outlined, if I have 4 blastoise in my deck where do I fit? If I have 1 EX pokemon where do I fit in? what is considered tournament level? I'm missing 1 Garchomp to make a proper Garchomp deck, does that means i fit the criteria for "not enough cards for expert"? I started playing today, but I bought 300 booster packs and made TDK deck, but by definition its my first day so I'm a newbie, I should go into novice?

ultimately which lobby people choose to go is highly dependant on an honor system, you're supposed to go to whichever section you feel best suits your deck level. Also often people using the high end decks often are people who buy a lot of booster packs and the token incentive may not appeal to them as much. being able to troll and humiliate players in lower level lobbies however, may appear more appealing.

Because you'll most likely lose horribly if you tried a newbie style modified theme deck... You'd have better returns in Novice or Normal if the balancing was right. Which the above numbers may or may not be, and it may be better to offer 5 or 10 card packs for pro tier. It is very subjective what the difference is, a 4 Blastoise deck could be tournament level as per Blastoise/Keldeo, or novice if you only have `1 Squirtle and a rare candy to play those Blastoises (although the chances of that are very unlikely given the amount of packs you'd have to buy to get a statistical chance for 4 Blastoises...) If you're one Garchomp off, you're almost there, and 1 short isn't that hard a obstacle to overcome. And the novice who just bought 300 boosters to get TDK may not have a clue at how to play the game. (Although they probably should given the amount they've spent...) Afterall, it's not just the cards, but how to play them - Expert Ai in trainer challenge can be beaten by a novice using the basic decks as we all know, even if your deck is composed mostly of pokemon weak to the Ai's pokemon type. Agreed, it's an honour system, but it would be better than the current system where novice could be renamed no trainer tokens available and expert could be renamed to trainer tokens available without any real change in games played... There's always going to be trophy hunters as in real life, but on average it would be an improvement.

don't think it'll make that much difference, in the end as long as there's a chance of a better reward in the higher difficulty section, the novices will try their luck and experts will always have the luxury of coming down to bully people.

also it doesn't take a whole lot to get 4 blastoise, just need 4 solar strike theme decks.

guy with 300 packs and TDk with no knowledge on how to play the game still has a huge advantage over a modified theme deck.

Hmm. I suppose. While I'd go where the best returns for me are, people aren't exactly logical. Like Lottery systems, people pay for a statistically insignificant chance to win millions... But still, on average it would work out balanced, like the coin toss which everybody thinks it's biased but it is actually 50:50. Didn't know Blastoise was available in a theme deck. That does make it easier to get 4 of them, and via that method you'd also have the Squirtles and Wartortles to back it up. Don't suppose there's a theme deck with a charizard in? But TDK guy as a complete newbie may not have a clue how to use it, and it's as much about how you use the cards as what they are - and given that other newbies will know how to play their cards from using them in the Trainer challenge will count for something. All the gear, no idea principle.

Personal for me the reason i disappointing a little from PvP is not that novice give anything for reward but the original reason is that almost every user surrender before 5 min expires and of course the result for that is that even the expert mode give nothing!! The most people surrender of course because they play pvp for win and no for tokens actually so they usually surrender if they are sure that they are going to lose but sometimes there are some people who surrender because their internet connection lost or simply because they still don't know that you need to play 5 min to earn a token!!

Hello trainers,

I'm going to quote Prof. Mathis on this:

At this time we do not believe that further segmenting the player base by adding another play format would yield a positive result.

Perhaps as the player base expands, we can consider such suggestions. In the meantime, I'll be closing this thread.

As always, we appreciate your input! :)

Archived