CRADILY and MEW_PRME: Gamebreaking Combo on Unlimited?

LordVorminious

Hello everyone, this is a rather unique Unlimited strategy i've come up with. I've been recently playtesting with a crazy deck-mechanic based around Cradily and Mew Prime and come up with some astonishingly impressive test results. The idea is to Lost Zone a Cradily T1 and then instantly set up 2-3 Stage 2s on T2. As you can see, this almost guarantees a T2 setup which is invaluable in lock-decks like Vileplume or Energy Accelerators like Blastoise/Emboar. This mechanic has brought to life some of my craziest deck ideas and completely redefined the playability of complicated rouge decks. Here is a carefully detailed deck analysis, based on playtesting and some theorymon.

ADVANTAGES:

1. Eliminates the need of rare candies, basic/Stage 1 evolutions and frees up almost 10-12 card slots. An invaluable aspect IMO.

2. This deck is more powerful when based solely around stage 2s, as you can only guarantee a 100% chance on T2 setup if you play only 4x Mew Prime and no other basics. This may sound preposterous but a bench full of set-upped stage 2s by T3 is a far stronger plusfactor compared to the probable 1-2 easy prizes from the Mew Primes by T1-2. Also, Mew Prime knock-out essentially serves to activate your Twins engine (another card must have in this deck) which WILL complete setup by T4 at the latest. Talk about slow lumbering Stage 2s; while I dont often see even a fully powered up VirGen by T3-4 that easily.

3. Since you wont be able to Lifespolosion before T2, you should be ideally able to bench at least 2 Stage 2s instantly on T2 (3 if you play DCE). Ideally, it should be an Energy Accelerator and a Strong Attacker. Play Tropical Beach and/or Cilans to get that energy out hard and fast. But you can also play more elaborate lock decks like Vileplume/Vanniluxe or Gliscor. Like I said, the possibilities are limitless. I even play a 3 Stage 2 deck which has a win ratio of 93% at Expert, thanks to Lifesplosion.

DISADVANTAGES:

1. The major Disadvantage is that you'll most probably be restricted to playing 4x GFPD Blends and Rainbow Energies, which means playing WEMR Stage 2s will be less effective for powering up. Since Lifesplosion requires a grass energy and See Off requires a Psychic, playing anything other than GFPD blends will largely destroy your consistency. This implies playing a Blastoise will prolly not be very effective, and playtesting confirms as much. However, Hydregion,Emboar,etc works out much better, though you'd still prolly be wasting 2 special energy cards by T2 on a Mew. Thats why i recommend playing Seeker/Scoop Up Cyclone to put the mews out of bench once done and reuse the energies. Once a Stage-2 is knocked out you can Collector/Search up a Mew and attach just 1 for another Lifesplosion to replace your fallen, though it will be easily a 2 Prize draw for your opponent.

Thus, the best way to use this strategy is with Lock decks, or those which will otherwise impair your opponent as without Mew Primes you have no access to further set up and Mews will be OHKOd T3 onwards latest.

2. And the greatest of its disadvantage is in its inability to add Stage 1s on this deck consistently. Since playing any other basic than Mew Prime reduces your chances of a T2 Setup, Stage 1 basics with their natural frailty and lack of T1 utility means its an autoloss when you start with that lone basic with no switch/Mew in sight. Playing 1-2 Basic EX attackers are still fine, but Stage 1s have no place in this deck, and playtesting confirms as such. (Though i do play Crustle in one of my Cradily decks, but it works mainly because its a Lock deck based around Vileplume and then again fails miserably on some lone Dweeble start.)

3. Also, you'll need to add copious amount of restoration cards like Revive or Super Rod to keep your Mews in game. Since your Mews will be OHKOd by T3 at the latest (or before) and you need access to the Mews to keep a steady flow of Stage 2 setups, running enough revives/rescue energies/super rods is a must. Also Twins can be easily abused here and is a must have for this deck mechanic to be really consistent. A good strategy is using Life Dew and junk arm to prevent your opponent from gaining a significant prize lead on KOing Mews.

So that's all folks, there it is, a gamebreaking mechanic, a strange turn of ideas that have given life to the most ridiculous deck ideas i've ever had. I have now done it all from Salamence-Dragonite to Crustle-Serperior-Reuniclus-Vileplume thanks to Mew-Cradily. If they would reprint Mew Prime, i think this combo will revolutionize the meta.

This is my first attempt at writing a serious deck-strategy article. All comments and suggestions for further improvement will be highly appreciated. :)

I like your guide! I think it's cool how people come up with deck ideas that not many people would think of. Once, I tried coming up with a deck that could wall blastoise/keldeo decks. I didn't have enough knowledge about the most popular way to play blastoise/keldeo though so the deck was abandoned. :/

Unlimited truly offers unlimited opportunities. There should be more organized Unlimited tournaments around.

The best bet against blastoise is garbodor decks, since destroying both keldeo and blastoise will be necessary.

Having gone up against your Crustle/Vileplume/Reuniclus/Serperior variant two times in a row I can confirm that this is the most infuriating deck I have ever played against XD First time I played I was just confused as ****, had no idea what you were trying to do with the Mew Primes’.

Fair play to you though, it’s an ingenious deck, and if you can survive long enough to get those four set up then it’s near unbeatable.

I tried the Mew/Cradily combo awhile ago using Darkrai, Virizion-Ex, ability Serperior, and the 2 ability Hydreigons and had consistency problems, but it sure was fun to play.

These just wont work my friends. Having any other basic than Mew Prime largely ruins your consistency, since you MUST get T1 Mew for that T2 setup. This is especially important for me as I dont dare play any Stage 2 decks without Vileplume or Gothitelle, and i need them ASAP on bench.

@Green The Mew Primes are bait, i'd want you to KO them to activate my Twins engine to set up Crustle. In that regard, prizes dont matter as I WILL win once I'm set up. Also, the opponent drawing prizes is especially great for my 4x N to cause some real disruption.

Garbodor and Genesect is probably the only counter decks, though Garbodor will be hard pressed to set up before I do if i get T1. I wonder if i should run 1x Salamence Breakwing just to counter Garbo.

About Genesect, nothing I can do against Red Signal. Its nice to have a Catcher and Colress block, but the opponent will draw a Plasma Energy sooner or later and then its GG.

I played against commieoflove's mew prime/cradily deck. Definitely a fun and interesting game :D I won thanks mostly in part to my dusknoir :D

Yea, I only run 3 mew primes and 2 mewtwo exs as my basics. More basics will ruin the consistency of this deck. I find that I don't even need a 2nd mew prime, the 2nd mew prime eats up valuable space on my bench :(

I think I'm gonna try stoutland/vileplume next with my mew prime/cradily:D

ah, so this is why eveyrone is wanting mew prime now lol. You think you could post a basic decklist? Not so good a deck building. Once I have a decklist, I can figure out the intended mechanics usually though :P. Thanks for the share.

I'll post mine, it's not ideal by all means. Probably better choices especially in the trainers department. Some people prefer pokemon communication to shuffle pokemon back into the deck. I prefer to use caitlin.

Pokemon: 15

Mew prime X 3

Cradily X 2

Gothitelle(Magic room) x 2

Gardevoir x 2

Dusknoir x 2

Hydreigon(Dark trance) x 2

Mewtwo EX x 2 (you can sub this with gallade but it puts more pressure on mew prime to use cradily's lifephlosion to summon gallade out)

Trainers: 33

Computer search X 1

Energy retrieval x 2

Energy search/Energy exchanger x 2

Level ball x 2

Max potion x 3

Catcher x 3 (might replace with something else with new rules)

Tool scrapper x 2

Ultra Ball x 2

Caitlin x 2

N x 2

Professor Oak's New Theory X 3

Skyla x 3

Beach X 3

Float Stone x 3

Energy: 12

Psychic x 5

GPFD blend X 4

Prism X 3

I think Agent's list is pretty solid. Including Beach in Gothitelle lock is very beneficial as an easy access to Trainers.

As for me, i prefer Vileplume to Gothitelle so my T/S/S list is different. First, I'd max N and have at least 3 copies of Twins. Flower Shop Lady or Super Rod is a must to put back vital elements back in deck, especially the energy since I run way too little in my deck. Rescue Energy is a great addition, since it helps you put back mew in game for a late game revival in case of Red Signal OHKO or a OHKO snipe on the bench. Also i dont run more than 3 Mews, more than enough if you got Rescue Energy, or you should run all 4.

On the Stadium front i use Champion's Festival since I mainly play a Heal-Lock deck. But like i said, Mew-Cradily offers an unlimited number of opportunities.

On the Energy front, Using Rainbows is a must, in case you'd be using your Stage 2s for attack Prism will be useless. I dont run any Prism, only GFPD Blends, Rainbow, Rescue and basic energies. I run a total of 14 Energy Cards, even though i feel the number is quite too much, consistency forces my hand. I also add in a Cilan or two to get me basic energies as i dont have access to Energy Exchanger due to Vileplume.

A nice tech is to add in Muk (UD) and Lost Zone it as a free access to Catcher with added status effects all game, but at the cost of another turn of setting up. I use it only when i have been able to stall my opponent for two turns via N or energy crisis, etc.

Hi there,

It is a very intriguing deck idea to say the least. I was hoping if you'd give me a first hand look at it? I've sent you a friends request. It would be a pleasure to see the deck in action. If you need to refuse my request, that's fine as well. No harm done.

Well thought out deck though.

Okay, so you keep mentioning Vilepliume. You mean the Unleashed one right? The one that blocks Trainers? B/c the BC one doesn't make any sense. So question about Unlimited mixed w/ Modified: Does Vilepume US block N and Juniper (and for that matter, Champion's Festival)? Does Garbodor shutdown Vileplume (ability shutdown vs. Poke-Body shutdown (i.e. Dialga G Lv. X))? If you could answer these questions about the gameplay, then I would be most thankful. I have a friend who plays Vileplume while I play mainly Black & White cards (IRL). Thanks a lot!!

Vileplume(trainer lock) does not lock supporters and stadiums, so you can still use them.

Garbodor also does not shut down pokebodies like vileplume but you'll have to get garbodor setup first because vileplume will stop you from attaching an item to garbodor to activate its ability. I have tried this on ptcgo and it shuts down my darkrai's ability to free retreat with dark energy but still prevents me from using my item cards with both garbodor and vileplume on.

Wow, that's very interesting. It's very nice to know that Vileplume doesn't block N, Juniper, and Skyla. Also, I'm surprised that they Pokemon guys made it so that Poke-Bodies are different than Abilities for Unlimited play. Thanks a lot AgentX85!!

PokeBodies and PokePowers are a different mechanic than abilities. because most Poke Bodies and Poke Powers are deactivated if the Pokemon in question is affected by a special condition. Also, Like Latias EX there were several cards who had attack modifiers that make them invulnerable to Pokemon with Poke Powers and Poke Bodies but not abilities lol (Like Umbreon CoL).

If you want to block supporters too, play total shutdown with Vileplume and Stoutland with another attacker which has a retreating attack (Like Gliscor or Nincanda or preferably a Stage 2 so you can abuse Mew Cradily combo again.) Vileplume wont let anyone play trainers and Stoutland wont let your opponent play supporters when active. So your opponent can do nothing more than attach energy and attack or pass the turn. If you get a T2 - T3 Vileplume/Stoutland lock (which you should using Mew Cradily), it should effectively destroy your opponent's setup.

Cradily is pretty cheap and common, i guess you can find 4 for a pack or two. Mew Primes are very difficult to obtain presently though. You can try Top Cut, they sell at like 4-5 packs. I'd recommend 4 but you can run consistently enough with 3 if you play no other basics in the deck. Considering all costs, i can say you can definitly fit it within 20 packs, 15 if you look hard enough. Pretty cheap for a mechanic which can be used with such a high versatility.

If youre looking for lock decks, Vileplume will be as difficult to obtain as a Mew Prime, but Mew-Cradily can be used well enough in the current format without resorting to hard-to-obtain old cards.

Was going to post a new topic on this, but I think I can include it here. I am currently play testing a deck with the same mechanics. Use Mew Prime to LZ Cradily T1, use Lifesplosion to bench Vileplume and Dusknoir T2, get Victini benched and LZ Vanilluxe (NV) T3, then the lock should be complete. I am wondering if I would be better served to Lifesplosion Vanilluxe to the bench, but that would negate the prism energies I have been runnning, although 4 rainbow might be sufficient. Also the higher HP of Vanilluxe compared to Mew Prime doesn't usually matter since, barring awful coin flips, my opponent shouldn't be able to attack. Another problem I have had is that Vileplume is out so early, I can't catcher up a high HP bench sitter to take the damage and transfer it off of. Just looking for any input or advice on this. Thanks!

Running vileplume usually messes things up as you also can't use any trainer cards. In my stoutland/vileplume deck I only run supporters and a few rare candies.

Not sure if it's a good idea nor will it be efficient, but you can run a genesect ex on the bench and just attach plasma energy to it for the catcher effect.

Or you can follow LordVorminous, LZ HS-Undaunted Muk and use his attack to catcher up pokemon(it also has the bonus of poisoning and confusing the pokemon you just catchered).

Hope that helps.

I used to play that status lock deck, but its essentially pointless now with Keldeo and Virizion rampaging about. Also Using Cradily-Mew combo here is totally not worth it, first a requirement of 2 energy means youd have to run at least some basic Water energies mean you'll face consistency problems as Lifesplosion requires Grass and See Off Psychic, also you'll be playing other Basics than Mew Prime like Victini Ability. Remember it almost always negates Mew-Cradily's advantage in a Vileplume-Lock deck if youre playing any other basics than Mew Prime, as getting that T1 LZ of Cradily wins or loses your game. Already there are many things that hit for 60 T2 onwards, so in many games i'd had to expend all my 4 Mews just to set up bench via one Lifesplosion per turn. So unless its a 'once i setup bench i usually win' condition, dont play Mew-Cradily.

There is a substantially more elaborate version of this i play more successfully by eliminating the need for Victinis. LZ Gliscor (UD) instead of Vanniluxe, since you will be needing Dusknoir to play this successfully it makes complete sense to sacrifice damage for a more reliable deck. Gliscor for ONE fighting energy deals 30 damage and a paralysis if there are no damage counters on the defending pokemon, using Dusknoir you can perma-paralyse without the help of Victini. This is getting 2 birds by one stone, im reducing energy costs for a sure paralysis every turn, and also by playing no other basics than Mew Prime im making sure that i will open with Mew Prime so i can get a T2 Dusknoir and Vileplume. I recommend playing First Ticket in this deck, as getting that T1 is often essential for a win, and playing 4x First Ticket allows you an almost 73% chance of opening. (you should have enough room for 4x an otherwise useless card, as you are free from basics, stage1s and rare candies). I almost always go first. Also, make sure you dont empty your opponents bench if you arent close to winning, as you cannot paralyse with Gliscor if you cannot remove all damage counters from the opponent active. I've faced opponents who use that fact in advantage and dont bench any pokemon, in that case, refrain from attacking or putting any damage counters on your opponents active till its ready to KO your Mew so you can stall an extra turn by which you should be able to skyla/collector for other mews on backup. I also recommend playing 1xStaraptor as a tech against against Only Active cases, countless games ive won against players taking advantage of my non-paralyzing Mews by staraptor. Once i sacrificed 3 Mews so i could get 4 energy on my 4th Mew just for a strong breeze, also the threat of strong breeze implies your opponent will be forced to bench pokes. Fighting energy is a problem though, i play 3 basic fighting and 2 psychic alongwith Cilan and 4x Prism + 4x Rainbow + 2x Rescue for consistency. Playing Skyla and Cilan is a must in this deck, coz you cant always rely on finding special energies in Trainer Lock. Also 3x Twins and 3x flower shop Lady at least since you'll always be lagging in prizes and get your Mew's KOd almost every turn.

Coming to turn by turn analysis, itd take you 3 turns of setting up before your lock is set. 3 Turns implies you wont be ready before T6, midgame by most standards, enough to almost win by Tier 1 standards. Expect at least 2 Mew prime KOs by T6, so you must bench 3 Mew Primes at the earliest, pretty easy by Collector. In case you dont draw rainbow/prism/collector on opening, you must have enough N/Oak/Skyla ready at your disposal. At worst case scenario, you should still be able to search for a psychic for See Off, though ive faced games where ive been unable to find anything but Fighting and Rescue on opening, its an autoloss then. (the probability of that is pretty low). Always LZ Cradily T1 and Lifesplosion at T3, you should ideally be having a Rainbow/Prism and Rescue on Mew by T3(i get that most times), but if not attach Rainbow/Prism to a benched Mew and see Off for Gliscor. The order in which you see of Gliscor or use Lifesplosion is entirely dependent on the game, if you feel like youd NEED a T3 Vileplume then go for it, if you think your Mew will be KOd, dont waste your Rainbow/Prism on that Mew and instead See off gliscor since you'll be able to lifesplosion next turn anyway. If youre set up and still have Mews to spare (Rescue/ Flower Shop + Collector), LZ techs like Starpator or Muk. You can also use Carnivine Dark Explorers (its Staraptor and Muk loaded into one card :3 ) but i wouldnt recommend it for all the grass energy (but it maynot be so bad since you have to have grass/prism/rainbow anyway for Lifesplosion).

Thats all, though i wouldnt recommend this deck anymore, Virizion/Keldeo is too popular to b

e playing this deck, but before Virizion came out i even beat Blastoise/Keldeos, coz a T3 vileplume is doom for all that Blastoise Setup, also its almost assured that there will be no float stone on Keldeo.

Archived