Is stall/discard a thing?

Shoopman

Would it be possible to make a functioning stall/discard deck in the modified format? The basic goal of the deck would be to force your opponent to draw/discard cards all the time so they end up decking themselves, all while stalling with annoying Pokemon, preferably ones who can heal themselves or disable opposing Pokemon.

Hoothoot and Togetic (and I guess Hugh, but not reliably) can force your opponent to draw, Dialga EX can straight up force the opponent to discard, and most decks are draw and search heavy anyway so your opponent does your job for you. I'm thinking about including Pokemon that can discard energies from opposing Pokemon for the sake of killing time. N/Colress would be included so that you don't deck yourself while waiting for the opponent to do the same, and Cryagonal would also be included for stall.

Opinions on this idea? Is it too ambitious? Would it actually work? It's not like your opponent can just choose not to draw cards, they would have no choice but to try and break your stall tactics. Obviously I don't expect to beat top tier decks with this, but I think it would be a fun deck to play around with.

discard is quite a thing, often called Milling decks. You can look into builds involving Durant or Aggron for those.

stalling works to some degree but with strong exs now you need to be able to put on a fair bit of pressure as well. The recently popular Darkrai/Garbodor deck can do decent job in stalling and is at no risk of decking itself if it can continuously hunt back a super rod to replenish its deck.

With Aggron I'd assume you combo it with devolution spray or something with a similar effect? Durant is from Noble Victories which is out of modified now.

I'll try to work out a decklist, I don't want the deck to be too expensive.

ah ok didn't realise u were only looking into the modified field, I like that.

yea combo aggron with devolution spray, then use sableeye to junk hunt them back to recycle. Also using pokemon catcher to stall for time, may not be as viable once the catcher becomes flip-necessary, enhanced hammer can also buy some time. Life dew also can slow down your opponent's prize taking. Be sure to have 1/2 super rod because the deck does sometimes risk decking itself out

Which Pokemon should I use to actually fight with in the meantime? Dialga EX is bulky but trying to get plasma energies while also doing mill stuff seems like too much. Cryogonal is annoying but has low HP. Maybe a Pokemon that can remove energies.

I normally just run with sableye, catcher a pokemon with a high attack cost/high retreat and just leave it stuck there. can try to use hypnotoxic laser to put it asleep if u need to but essentially the deck doesn't really attack. just focus on evolving the bench and junk hunting the devolution sprays and the occasional catcher. there should always be a backup sableeye in the bench ready to replace the one active one when it gets knocked out. in desperate scenarios you may need to use 1 of your Aggrons as a tank for damamge but bear in mind that if he takes too much damage devolving him will knock him out.

their is a pokemon which can discard energies idk if its modified and its pinsir it requires a coin flip but you get 2 chances with 2 flips and its colourless attack

An excellent combo is playing Salamence (Dragon Vault) and Dragonite(with Deafen). Dragonite trainer locks your opponent and also has a healing attack while Salamnece discards your opponents hand to just 4 cards every turn (almost a hugh with a greater discard and no penalty). Add in tropical beach and max N for further efficiency. Hugh would work too, but Salamence and N is too great a combo. With a steady flow of Dragonites locking your opponent you can try setting up Dialgia EX for a possible 4 card discard late game.

The real problem with this deck is setting up 2 Stage 2s fast enough for the discard/milling to really affect your opponent. A T2-T4 Trainer Lock with Dragonite is of utmost importance, and hence this often fails as a competitive deck. I use a Cradily/Mew Prime combo to overcome this deficit, but Mew Prime is not Legal in Modified so you'll prolly need to rely on rare candies and pray for a fast setup.

• 2 weeks later...

So, as far as lock/stalling decks, I played against a Dragonite (Deafen)/Garbodor. I was playing Tool-drop and got destroyed (I had to forfeit, no point in playing out that match-up). That's a good deck to slow down your opponent. I happen to run a Dialga EX Plasma Build. Porygon-Z, Thundurus EX, and Dialga EX. It's pretty slow, but can really tank through. I was playing a Cradily/Virizion (double-draw)/Nidoqueen/king deck and was down in prizes 6-1 and came back and decked my opponent w/ only one Dialga. It was a pretty awesome match.

Archived