Raticate cheese deck

Shoopman

Has anyone successfully run a Raticate cheese deck? What I mean is abusing Raticate's super fang and free retreat cost, then using another Pokemon that can deal damage to benched Pokemon. Would it work? Raticate is pretty frail, so much so that I don't even think Aspertia Gym would help. I feel like its an extremely high risk high reward deck, but it would be super fun to play. Any input as to which cards would not only keep Raticate alive, but which would also hinder the enemy Pokemon as much as possible?

green cape or whatever that is also team plasma badge and deoxys I don't know if that will actualy work btu if it does then sick one hit kos

Plasma Unbreon ability works for every Team Plasma Pokémon you have in play, and it stacks. but i'll recommend you should use Minun with Electrishower or Hypnotoxic Laser. also use Giant Cape and Aspertia City Gym

yea agree with battler, the badges and umbreon idea sounds way difficult to acheive compared to aspertia and cape.

the cheese deck can work against you typical deck but I think won't fare too well with higher tiered decks.

Would pairing Raticate with Boundaries Crossed Whimsicott guarantee an OHKO with every super fang?

no it does not, because super fang doesn't deal any damage in the technical sense, and fluffy tag only adds to the original damage of an attack but if an does not deal damage, fluffy tag has nothing to add to. Same as how you would not deal 40 damage by using Call for family after fluffy tag

Similiarly super fang with a pluspower(if it was still in rotation) would not guarantee KOs

hope this makes sense.

Instead of Giant Capes, I use Rocky Helmet, that way, if I don't have a laser handy, or if I'm facing a Virizion EX, then once I use Super Fang, if they attack with me, then they get KOed!

I made a ghetto version of the deck on TCGO. Tentative decklist is as follows:

Pokemon:

Minun x4

Rattata x4

Raticate x2

Kangaskhan x2

Bouffalant x2

Trainers:

Computer Search x1

Energy Retrieval x3

Level Ball x4

Pokemon Catcher x2

Tool Scrapper x2

Cheren x3

Cilan x3

Professor Juniper x3

Skyla x2

Aspertia City Gym x3

Giant Cape x4

Rocky Helmet x2

Energy:

Lightning Energy x10

Double Colorless Energy x4

Use Kangaskhan to get out Minun and Rattata ASAP. Let Kangaskhan die if necessary. Use level ball to search for Raticate. All the rest is trying to make sure that Raticate and Minun survive. Bouffalant is filler because I only have 2 Raticates, but I want to have 4 in the deck. I thought about other basic Pokemon like Chansey and Snorlax to include just for stall purposes if I take a while to get going. Energy retrieval for taking back my discarded energies because this is a retreat heavy deck. Not sure if Aspertia or Skyarrow Bridge is the best stadium card for this deck. I feel like Aspertia is better because it allows me to put Rocky Helmet on Raticate.

I'd like to add some lasers for stall, and take out some of the draw once I get more of the core cards I need.

I also need solutions for a few things:

What cards can I use to take dead Pokemon from my graveyard and put them back into my hand?

What cards can I use to search for non-basic energies from my graveyard or deck?

Are there any other non-basic energies that would be helpful here? I am reluctant to use too many because If I run out of lightning energies the deck falls apart.

I know super rod can do that, but the cards go back into my deck. If that is the only option though, I'll go with it.

Edit: It seems that Emolga also has call for family and has no retreat cost. Kangaskhan can survive longer and deal more damage though... I am leaning towards using Emolga anyway.

emolga is the better choice cos if you play against kyogre lets say he will takw out your raticate and you couldn't do anything or if your opponent cachers your kangastann for a 2 hit ko u will need computer search in ur hand or dce energy

only card i can think of that will take pokemon back from discard pile back into hand is Excadrill's Dig Uppercut attack, which lets you take any 1 card from your discard pile and put it back into your hand, so can work for none-basic energy as well.

skyarrow only works for basic pokemon

might need mr mime to protect bench attackers

togekiss can protect from catchers but the new rules might make it not such a big deal.

I'm still unclear as to how Pokemon abilities work. Do they work even when said Pokemon is on the bench? Like could I still use Deluge when Blastoise is not my active Pokemon?

I'm definitely not going to run Excadrill just to take back one card per turn, especially since it disrupts the flow of the deck so heavily. That being said, I do think I need an alternative win condition in case the Raticate/Minun combo fails. The easiest way would probably be with a normal or electric type EX Pokemon.

Since Excadrill is a no go, are there any cards that let me take back Pokemon or special/basic energies and put them into my deck instead? I guess Super Rod does a pretty good job of that, but are there any others?

most of the abilities work even on the bench, in cases when they need to be active the description would say so. Also unlike pokebody and various names of the past, these abilities are still active even when the pokemon is affected by special conditions.

oh I thought you said you wanted the cards back in your hand that's why I suggested the excadrill. I don't think I know of any other way to really get those pokemon back to your hand however. You could try attaching rescue scarfs on your pokemon, which lets you put your pokemon and all its pre-evolutions back into your hand when it gets knocked out, energy still gets discarded tho.

With getting back energy, the energy retrievals and superiors energy retrievals can do a decent job of getting them back to your hand. But with special energy, I can think of only Thundurus EX which lets you take any energy back from your discard pile and attach it directly onto a BENCHED TEAM PLASMA pokemon (had to highlight that because its quite a strict condition) Aside from that I don't think there is any other way to get special energy back from the discard pile. Plasma energy is possibly the only exception because it can be retrieved with Shadow triad but probably not that relevant to you.

Ideally I wanted to be able to take the cards back to my hand, but that seems to be a very powerful effect in Pokemon, unlike in Magic. I'm going to run at least 3 energy retrievals and possibly 1 superior retrieval. Rescue scarf is a simple solution to preserving my Pokemon, but it interferes with Rocky Helmet and Giant Cape. I suppose its use would depend on how threatened my Raticate/Minun population has become.

Since I will (hopefully) never need to rely on Mr. Mime as a fighter, would it be wise to run only 1 (maybe 2) in the deck seeing as how I can easily get him to my bench with call for family?

Yeah, rocky helmets, rock guard and hypnotoxic's will get you that last damage counter you need. As well as some catchers to target double prize EX's. Also doesn't the old Kingdra from HS - Unleashed has spray splash which lets you put 1 damage counter on any pokemon between turns problem with this is you'll still need to attack first, wait a turn then use spray splash to finish off (this also goes for finishing them off with hypnotoxics. Kind of annoying to get a stage 2 our for support but at least he can use the ability from the bench. Also an accelerator would be good since 3 energy is pricey as **** on a 60/80HP stage 1. Blastoise can get the job done quicker but Virizion would be ready to go straight away with the added bonus of acting as a damage sponge whilst providing aliment immunity. If you can stick a rock guard on Virizion some how then you're laughing.

I wouldn't say retrievals are necessary, the number of energy you run is quite a hefty amount and its not like you have attacks that discard a whole lot of energy.

yea 1 mime will probabaly do (and I think the chances that you would ever need to attack with mime is quite low), and this is where its important to recognise your opponent's decks, normally you can work out what other pokemon he's going to bring out just by seeing the pokemon he starts with and from there work out whether you need mime for that match:

if you see Deoxys you need to consider the possibility of Kyurem coming out

Saableye, consider Darkrai coming

I assume you're relatively new to the game and if so don't take it too seriously when people recommend you add old cards that are out of rotation, especially those from the HGSS era, reason being that they automatically disqualify your deck from playing in the modified format, but more importantly because those cards are so old they're available in quite limited quantities and therefore tend to sell for quite an unreasonable amount.

I don't think adding Blastoise would actually speed up your set up too much and in fact might slow you down as well given that you have to allocate deckspace that may affect how fast you can get raticate set up.

I play tested a rough version of the deck against my friend last night. All I have to say is that this deck gets DESTROYED by potion and giant cape. Just one of either of those means a dead Raticate because it defeats rocky helmet. Pokemon catcher and enhanced hammer are also very annoying because it disrupts my flow, and both are very common runs. Getting locked down early on also spells destruction because then my opponent has time to set up. Ideally I can set up a Raticate with energy for super fang, get a Mr Mime on the bench, and a have a Minun out by turn 2. Any later than turn 3 and I am screwed.

Other problems:

Since a Raticate usually dies in the process of taking out the opponent's Pokemon, I can at most only take 4 prize cards assuming I don't **** an EX. Super Rod can help with this but it's not guaranteed as I may not have a level ball at the right time. I think it would be wise to add another win condition into the deck, however small.

I cannot stall with this deck in any way. If I fail to set up, I have to tank damage with low HP Pokemon.

Any suggestions?

unfortunately raticate was never that good to start with, 60 hp is just extremely horrible for an evolved pokemon and goes down relatively easy, especially if u add in weakness.

the introduction of a coin flip for pokemon catcher coming soon on november might help alleviate some of the issues with poemon catcher

I'm surprised that u come across players with giant cape and potions that often, they're not a commonly used in most decks I have to say. perhaps using hypnotoxic laser would be the ideal solution? super fang and then letting poison deal the last 10 will ensure they don't get the chance to add the cape or potion.

the enhanced hammers is quite hard to protect against unfortunately unless u manually charge up your rats which can be a painful thing to do. 1 thing I can think of is maybe trying to start off with victini EX to turbo energise the rats.

The other thing to consider is maybe the Togekiss family instead? Togekiss's ability Bright Veil protects your side of the field from being affected by the opponent's cards. So things like Pokemon Catcher/Hypnotoxic Laser/Enhanced Hammer/Tool Scrapper/Escape Rope will have no effect on you, and if your lucky your opponent might forget about this ability and play those cards anyways, in which case the game still allows the card to be played but does nothing, causing him to discard a card for no reason at all, unlikely thing to count on but just thought it was worth mentioning. Togekiss also has a simple attack, Return, deals only 30 damage but can be used as a means to finish off those will that last 10 hp or even those who added the giant cape at the next turn. The Return attack also makes sure that your hand will never be empty as it will allow you to draw till u have 6 cards in hand. The 140 hp makes it a decent tank when you add aspertia and 1 retreat cost ain't too bad either. Downsides however is that you'll have to make room for all the togepi and togekiss as well as the rare candies to make to work not to mention it may take a while to set up. Also beaer in mind that Togekiss's ability only works when its in the Active position. might not be a good solution but something worth considering I guess.

I'm not really sure if there's anything else aside from super rod that'll help get you more attackers, the lineup definitely looks like a guranteed loss once u lose all the rats, not to mention the possibility of some being prized.

I should have clarified, the friend I tested against just threw together a deck with potions and capes. I know they aren't all that common but I was just pointing out that they throw a huge wrench into the strategy of the deck.

Victini sounds like a decent idea, but I would need to include fire energies just for him. If I did that I would likely eliminate or at least cut down on the DCEs because they are only useful on Raticate. I'm also considering throwing in a fire or electric type EX Pokemon just as insurance in case all of my Raticates die.

Lasers are a shoe in, but I don't have enough of them in TCGO to consistently test them. I'll post my most recent decklist later so you can take a look. I know that I have a lot of extraneous cards but I don't know exactly which ones can go and which ones need to stay.

Here is my decklist so far.

Cards with a * next to them are cards that I think may be extraneous but don't know what to replace with.

Cards with a # next to them are cards that I plan to add more of.

Cards with both are cards that I need more of in the deck, but also cards that might not need to be there.

Pokemon:

Rattata x4

Raticate x4

Emolga x4

Minun x4

Mr. Mime x1

Trainers:

Dowsing Machine x1

Energy Retrieval x3 *

Hypnotoxic Laser x1 #

Level Ball x4

Pokemon Catcher x2 *#