Unofficial Newbie Guide

Deadrocks

Hi everyone! With all these new people joining the game I figured I should share some general knowledge for everyone and newbies to see.

Content

1. Intro
  2. What do I do next?

• Trainer Challenge
    • Trading

• Terms
      • What is a binder?
      • Can't Trade this?
      • Redemption
      • Setting up a Trade

[*] Building a Deck

• Formats
  • Using the Deck Wizard

[*] FAQ

------------------------

1.Introduction

Hello! My name is Deadrocks! I'm here to bring some information to you to make your first time playing PTCGO an enjoyable one! Please read through the guide completely before asking any questions!

We'll be going over what to dowhen you first enter the game, how to play, where to find stuff, andmore! Just so you can be successful in playing. Thanks!

2.What do I do Next?

The screen you get after logging in may bedaunting, but don't you worry, that's only the intro screen.

Trainer Challenge

First: I would suggest clicking on "Single Player," then on the Trainer Challenge (or play the tutorial first).

• You'll find you only have the "Gold League" unlocked, and that's how it's supposed to be. You unlock the other leagues by beating all the trainers.

Second: Pick a deck.

• I would suggest picking one of the "Black & White" decks, as they have a more current trainer set.

Third: Play!

• Play the trainers, and get used to the game.

Things you should know:

• Beating a trainer gets you points. Once these points accumulate to 4 Stars (or 30,000 points), you are given a booster pack. (To do this quickly, play them on Expert.)
  • Beating 8 trainers with the same deck, will unlock that deck for you. You'll be able to use those cards in your own decks in the deck manager.
  • Beating all 12 trainers at 4 Stars each, unlocks you 3 additional booster packs. Each league will allow you to win 15 booster packs! That's a total of 45 booster packs!

Trading

Trading at first might seem a little confusing. Don't worry, we'll cover just about everything you should know here.

Terms

• LF = Looking For

• People will use this term to declare they are searching for a specific card.

[*] FT = For Trade

• Players will use this term to let people know they have certain cards for trade. You will usually see this with the rarer cards.

[*] PM = Private Message

• Some players prefer figuring out deals over private message, which is just between you and another player. It makes it easier to communicate in contrast to the lobbies.

[*] FA = Full Art

• This is a type of rarity for a card. Typically much harder to find than normal, and usually highly sought after.

[*] SR = Secret Rare

• Denotes another type is rarity that is typically highly sought after.

What is a Binder?

You might notice other players talking about binders. "How can they have a binder?" You might ask. It's perfectly simple.

• Setting up a Binder

• Setting up a binder is really simple. All you have to do, is go into your collection, and all the cards you want to trade; highlight, and click the orange button that says "Tag for Trade." This will allow others to see what you have for trade.

[*] Viewing other Player's binders

• This too is also fairly simple.

• Start out by being on the trade menu. You'll want to go ahead and click "Private Trade."
      • Then you'll notice a 'Friends' and 'Public' buttons on the left side of this menu. That's what you want. Most of the time you'll be looking at public binders, so go ahead an click on 'Public.'
      • Next start typing their name in the search bar, once you see it, click on it.
      • Then under 'In Exchange For' click on 'Add.' This will allow you to see what they have for trade. If you don't see anything, turn off the filters, by clicking the green check mark

[*] You can also mark certain cards you would like to get as 'Wanted,' just the same way as you tag cards for trade. Clicking on someones binder by default brings up the cards you want, that they have.

Can't Trade This?

You might notice that some of the cards you'd like to trade, won't get tagged for trade. If that happens, take a look at the bottom of the card. If there is a red and white lock, that means is isn't for trade. The number next to it, designated how many aren't for trade.

All the cards you get from boosters you purchase with tokens, or from the trainer challenge, can't be traded. It's unfortunate, but it DOES make sense.

People do spend money on these cards, and redeem real packs for cards in-game, which CAN be traded. If the game allowed you to trade those free cards, it would mess with the value of the cards that have been purchased with real money.

Redemption

Redemption is a fairly straightforward procedure. First. You'll want to click on the Shop Icon, and them click 'Redeem Codes.'

Now if you've bought a pack or promo card, and it has an extra card with a code on it, you can do one of two things.

• If you have a webcam, you're in luck. You can use their QR reader to automatically find enter the code for you.
  • If you don't have a webcam, then you are to manually enter the code under 'Enter Codes Manually.'

If successful, you'll see your boosters or promo cards on the right side of the screen. You must click the check boxes next to these entries and click claim to receive your items.

Individual cards will be placed in your 'Card Collection' automatically, while boosters will be placed under your 'Pack Collection.'

Setting up a Trade

Trades are very easy to set up. Just as easy as looking in someone's binder. There are a couple things you should know beforehand.

• When creating a trade with someone, and you can't click 'Create Offer,' it means the rarities of the cards are too different. The game utilizes a 'Like for Like' feature where it will only allow you trade cards of the same rarity to non-friend.

• To fix this, add the person you are intending to trade to, to your friend's list. Re-do the trade, and make sure to uncheck the 'Like for Like' box above your side of the trade. This will enable you to trade cards of varying rarities, but of perhaps the same value.

[*] Often times the game won't automatically remove trade from your trade binder, and the game might be under the impression that you are able to trade a card you don't actually have. Make sure to go through your trades and remove cards that have '0' below them.

Building a Deck

Building a deck may be a little daunting at first, but don't fret.You'll get used to it in no time!

Formats

There are currently two formats in the game. When building a deck,the game will ask you what type of deck you want to build.

• Modified

• This type of deck is the same type of deck you'd use in your local league. It contains only the current most rotation of legal cards. You should build with this type, if you want to test out a deck for competitive play.

[*]Unlimited

• This is mainly a 'for fun' format, where all the cards for every set are available to use. So you'd be able to build a deck you used back when the HG/ SS series came out, etc.

Based on how you want to play, should help you decide what kind of format you want to play in.

Using the Deck Wizard

If you have absolutely no idea how to build a deck, then I would suggest using the deck wizard. It's a very simple and straightforward process.

• First, click on the 'Deck Wizard' button.
  • Second, it will prompt you to choose 2 Pokemon. They don't have to be different type, and you can actually select the same Pokemon twice if you have enough cards.
  • Third, the game will put together cards for you, which will probably need some tweaking, but it does help you get an idea.
  • Once you're done, save it, and play it.

It's pretty simple!

3. FAQ

Are there any free codes?

There are currently a few codes available that will get you free cards. These are unlimited codes, meaning that everyone can use them and you can redeem them as many times as you want.

• “boundariescrossed” or “plasmastorm” -- Will get you the Theme Deck Rallying Cry.

(Information retrieved from "FourMakesTwoUNLESS" on Reddit.

--------------------------

Well that's all for this guide! I hope it's all helped! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! If you're question is awesome,we'll add it to the FAQ!

Thanks guys, and enjoy the game!

•  

Very good guide Deadrocks!!;) I notice though that there is not pass long time before you start to play this game because i figure out that still on your guide you forgot to say about trainer challenge overall wins who give you 1 token reward and also i notice that your tutorial has info about only trainer challenge and trade and no guide at all for pvp!! There are still too many secrets to explore about this game and i am glad you are a new player who prefer to explore it and not like the most users usually who download and register only for the pvp and especially when they have a lot of money to spend they don't actually interesting about trainer challenge at all!! Only one thing Deadrocks (perhaps also moderations say that perhaps not) because you make a guide not only for trainer challenge but for trade too i suggest to post better this guide on the general section and not on the trainer challenge section!!

:P

Hi everyone! With all these new people joining the game I figured I should share some general knowledge for everyone and newbies to see.

Content

1. Intro
  2. What do I do next?

• Trainer Challenge
    • Trading

• Terms
      • What is a binder?
      • Can't Trade this?
      • Redemption
      • Setting up a Trade

[*] Building a Deck

• Formats
  • Using the Deck Wizard

[*] FAQ

------------------------

1.Introduction

Hello! My name is Deadrocks! I'm here to bring some information to you to make your first time playing PTCGO an enjoyable one! Please read through the guide completely before asking any questions!

We'll be going over what to dowhen you first enter the game, how to play, where to find stuff, andmore! Just so you can be successful in playing. Thanks!

2.What do I do Next?

The screen you get after logging in may be daunting, but don't you worry, that's only the intro screen.

Trainer Challenge

First: I would suggest clicking on "Single Player," then on the Trainer Challenge (or play the tutorial first).

• You'll find you only have the "Gold League" unlocked, and that's how it's supposed to be. You unlock the other leagues by beating all the trainers.

Second: Pick a deck.

• I would suggest picking one of the "Black & White" decks, as they have a more current trainer set.

Third: Play!

• Play the trainers, and get used to the game.

Things you should know:

• Beating a trainer gets you points. Once these points accumulate to 4 Stars (or 30,000 points), you are given a booster pack. (To do this quickly, play them on Expert.)
  • Beating 8 trainers with the same deck, will unlock that deck for you. You'll be able to use those cards in your own decks in the deck manager.
  • Beating all 12 trainers at 4 Stars each, unlocks you 3 additional booster packs. Each league will allow you to win 15 booster packs! That's a total of 45 booster packs!

Trading

Trading at first might seem a little confusing. Don't worry, we'll cover just about everything you should know here.

Terms

• LF = Looking For

• People will use this term to declare they are searching for a specific card.

[*] FT = For Trade

• Players will use this term to let people know they have certain cards for trade. You will usually see this with the rarer cards.

[*] PM = Private Message

• Some players prefer figuring out deals over private message, which is just between you and another player. It makes it easier to communicate in contrast to the lobbies.

[*] FA = Full Art

• This is a type of rarity for a card. Typically much harder to find than normal, and usually highly sought after.

[*] SR = Secret Rare

• Denotes another type is rarity that is typically highly sought after.

What is a Binder?

You might notice other players talking about binders. "How can they have a binder?" You might ask. It's perfectly simple.

• Setting up a Binder

• Setting up a binder is really simple. All you have to do, is go into your collection, and all the cards you want to trade; highlight, and click the orange button that says "Tag for Trade." This will allow others to see what you have for trade.

[*] Viewing other Player's binders

• This too is also fairly simple.

• Start out by being on the trade menu. You'll want to go ahead and click "Private Trade."
      • Then you'll notice a 'Friends' and 'Public' buttons on the left side of this menu. That's what you want. Most of the time you'll be looking at public binders, so go ahead an click on 'Public.'
      • Next start typing their name in the search bar, once you see it, click on it.
      • Then under 'In Exchange For' click on 'Add.' This will allow you to see what they have for trade. If you don't see anything, turn off the filters, by clicking the green check mark

[*] You can also mark certain cards you would like to get as 'Wanted,' just the same way as you tag cards for trade. Clicking on someones binder by default brings up the cards you want, that they have.

Can't Trade This?

You might notice that some of the cards you'd like to trade, won't get tagged for trade. If that happens, take a look at the bottom of the card. If there is a red and white lock, that means is isn't for trade. The number next to it, designated how many aren't for trade.

All the cards you get from boosters you purchase with tokens, or from the trainer challenge, can't be traded. It's unfortunate, but it DOES make sense.

People do spend money on these cards, and redeem real packs for cards in-game, which CAN be traded. If the game allowed you to trade those free cards, it would mess with the value of the cards that have been purchased with real money.

Redemption

Redemption is a fairly straightforward procedure. First. You'll want to click on the Shop Icon, and them click 'Redeem Codes.'

Now if you've bought a pack or promo card, and it has an extra card with a code on it, you can do one of two things.

• If you have a webcam, you're in luck. You can use their QR reader to automatically find enter the code for you.
  • If you don't have a webcam, then you are to manually enter the code under 'Enter Codes Manually.'

If successful, you'll see your boosters or promo cards on the right side of the screen. You must click the check boxes next to these entries and click claim to receive your items.

Individual cards will be placed in your 'Card Collection' automatically, while boosters will be placed under your 'Pack Collection.'

Setting up a Trade

Trades are very easy to set up. Just as easy as looking in someone's binder. There are a couple things you should know beforehand.

• When creating a trade with someone, and you can't click 'Create Offer,' it means the rarities of the cards are too different. The game utilizes a 'Like for Like' feature where it will only allow you trade cards of the same rarity to non-friend.

• To fix this, add the person you are intending to trade to, to your friend's list. Re-do the trade, and make sure to uncheck the 'Like for Like' box above your side of the trade. This will enable you to trade cards of varying rarities, but of perhaps the same value.

[*] Often times the game won't automatically remove trade from your trade binder, and the game might be under the impression that you are able to trade a card you don't actually have. Make sure to go through your trades and remove cards that have '0' below them.

Building a Deck

Building a deck may be a little daunting at first, but don't fret.You'll get used to it in no time!

Formats

There are currently two formats in the game. When building a deck,the game will ask you what type of deck you want to build.

• Modified

• This type of deck is the same type of deck you'd use in your local league. It contains only the current most rotation of legal cards. You should build with this type, if you want to test out a deck for competitive play.

[*]Unlimited

• This is mainly a 'for fun' format, where all the cards for every set are available to use. So you'd be able to build a deck you used back when the HG/ SS series came out, etc.

Based on how you want to play, should help you decide what kind of format you want to play in.

Using the Deck Wizard

If you have absolutely no idea how to build a deck, then I would suggest using the deck wizard. It's a very simple and straightforward process.

• First, click on the 'Deck Wizard' button.
  • Second, it will prompt you to choose 2 Pokemon. They don't have to be different type, and you can actually select the same Pokemon twice if you have enough cards.
  • Third, the game will put together cards for you, which will probably need some tweaking, but it does help you get an idea.
  • Once you're done, save it, and play it.

It's pretty simple!

3. FAQ

Are there any free codes?

There are currently a few codes available that will get you free cards. These are unlimited codes, meaning that everyone can use them and you can redeem them as many times as you want.

• “boundariescrossed” or “plasmastorm” -- Will get you the Theme Deck Power Relay.

(Information retrieved from "FourMakesTwoUNLESS" on Reddit.

--------------------------

Well that's all for this guide! I hope it's all helped! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! If your question is awesome,we'll add it to the FAQ!

Thanks guys, and enjoy the game!

I actually like this one a bit more, its shorter than alex's but its actually neater and conveys a lot of the basic information

Just thought I should point out that the free promo codes now get you the Rallying Cry deck not Power Relay with the update from 10/03/13.

Actually any extra guide help even if the info is almost exactly the same with someone else guide!!;) Unfortunately nobody say a thing about overall wins because 36/36 overall wins actually give nothing lol:( but at least 1 overall win give 1 extra token!!:P Also i am not sure but nobody also clearly post 100% that trainer challenge support all for sure shop tokens deck themes and maybe all redeem theme decks too except the available free redeem theme deck one of course!!

does anyone know how i can add a profile pic here on the forum, i see all of you that have posted also don't have one....anyone know ??

Real-United,

Unfortunately, the feature to add an avatar is offline right now and has been for some time. It's expected to make a return, but not sure when.

I know its so annoying but lets stop talking about this don't want to get an infraction point(which I don't get) and this is very good need to update stuff like rallying cry but other wise its incredibly neat and organized WELL DONE

if you don't mind me asking, how do I earn more coins on PTCGO? Or do I have to buy them? I noticed coins let you get decks and boosters. So I am really curious

I'd stick in recommendations for using coins, i bought 4 of the ''Dark'' booster packs then i find out today other theme decks can be played on trainer challenge. Right now I don't know if i will unlock another booster but having thought about it... 5 boosts is 25 cards for 475 coins and a theme deck is 60 cards for 500coins.

My blatant mistake for enjoying the game and rushing :P but it'd be nice to have it up there so other people don't make my mistake. Recommended boosters/decks would be awesome aswell.

Archived