Opponent given loss via idling when wasn't idling

So, I've just won a versus match where I shouldn't. This probably isn't a bug as such, but I don't feel it's really working as intended either. So Mr_Brix, if you're out there, this is my apology for that. Was not intended at all.

So, here's what happened. It's my opponents turn. He's in a setup where all he has to do is attack me, and he's won the game. He and I had been chatting a bit in the game's in-match chatbox, and we were having a short conversation before he hit the final button and ended the game. Then, all of a sudden, the game awarded me the win because he'd been "idling". At this point, he still had around 7 minutes left on his game timer, and it'd been maybe 30 seconds to a minute at most since he'd played his last card. It was only 15-20 seconds at most since I recieved the last message he typed to me. So...yeah, he wasn't idle at all, and it felt like I'd basically stolen the win off him by actually trying to be human and striking up a conversation.

I don't know if anything will be done about that, since there are certainly legitimate concerns about people stalling in games, but I thought I'd raise it as something to look at anyway.

TPCi_Mathis

chronophysicist is correct. There is an idle timer which resets each time a player takes a game action to help reduce griefing. If the timer expires, that player automatically concedes the match. Chat is not currently considered a "game action" for the purposes of resetting the idle timer. I'll mention it to the team and see what they think of changing that based on the scenario you've described, though we will also have to evaluate how doing so could increase ease of griefing.

The best idea I could come up with there was maybe pausing the idle timer for Player A while Player B is typing in the chat box. That way, my opponent wouldn't have been penalized by waiting for me to reply to what he'd typed. Can't really think of any way to handle it from the Player A side, if only because some griefer would undoubtedly just keep sending messages to pause/reset their idle timer if that was possible.

chronophysicist
The best idea I could come up with there was maybe pausing the idle timer for Player A while Player B is typing in the chat box. That way, my opponent wouldn't have been penalized by waiting for me to reply to what he'd typed. Can't really think of any way to handle it from the Player A side, if only because some griefer would undoubtedly just keep sending messages to pause/reset their idle timer if that was possible.

lol you could potentially annoy quite a few people that way.

jbcheshire

I wonder if this message is being given in error on those occasions where you know that 2 minutes has not passed. I think it sometimes is given when that person concedes the game and exits/quits....

chronophysicist

nah sometimes they might have dc-ed their internet, or the game might have crashed, or their mum came in and they had to alt-f4 for a quick escape, basically anything the force closes the game can result in timeout I believe