A Beginner's Mdofied Bench-****** Chandelure Deck

MacabreDerek

(Tried posting this earlier but it didnt appear to take, so pardon if this shows up as a double)

So I decided to give Pokemon TCG a try after over 10 years (Since WotC was running it). I am trying to learn the basics to deck building and developing a deck on a budget. I am still trading to get this deck to be more consistant, primarily with needing to replace my Chandelures from PF with ND versions, 2 more Rare Candy and 3 more Escape Ropes, but with a very limited card pool, this is what I managed to trade up to.

The strategy is simple, force the pokemon who cant hurt me to the Active slot, while using Chandelure's Flame Burst to start stacking the damage on the pokemon the opponent's trying to develop. I primarily play Magic as a TCG, and in that I enjoy working with Control decks, so I thought this would be a very good start to learn Pokemon TCG using my favouret pokemon from the B/W series.

Finding it hard to get past the introductory decks used in Trainers Challenge, but I think this is a little closer to the competitive style of deck design than they are.

3x Lapras (B/W - ND)

2x Litwick (B/W - PS)

2x Litwick (B/W - PF)

3x Lampent (B/W - PS)

2x Chandelure (B/W - PF)

2x Chandelure (B/W-ND)

2x Energy Search

1x Escape Rope

2x Great Ball

2x Level Ball

1x Hypnotic Laser

4x Pokemon Catcher

2x Random Reciever

2x Rare Candy

2x Switch

1x Town Map

4x N

4x Prof. Juniper

4x Cheren

2x Bianca

8x Fire Energy

5x Water Energy

I am trying to stick to the Modified format. A few key things I am looking for is suggestions on support pokemon that go great with the idea I am trying to execute for with Chandelure in general, as Lapras is not quite holding it's own outside of opening tank and a bit of Bench-Burn. I am also looking for other cards that may assist in this control of the field in the Modified format.

The deck is something I enjoy so far and I want to take to that next level. I love that Chandelure doesn't require alot of energy to play, so the speed really helps even if it is a Stage 2 poke. I am sure a few Rare Candy exchanged for the Lampent count will help that.

Anyway, hope that the deck shows some promise and that I am starting to learn basic deck construction in the Pokemon TCG style.

GL HF :)

Okay, so you said you want to get rid of Lapras. This can be done. I guess the question is do you want water types? Grass Types? Fighting? Etc... I would suggest trying to get your hands on Emolga (Dragons Exalted) b/c Call for Family is great for setup. If you can't get that, then go for Kangaskhan from Plasma Blast (he's really cheap, has call for family, requires colorless energy, but a 2 retreat cost :() As for big basics, I would suggest either grass or fire (grass to counter water or fire for energy consistency). If you want Grass, then go for Tropius (from Plasma Blast). His return attack lets you draw until you have six cards in your hand for one grass energy. Also, Tropius' second attack is Energy Press. (G)© allows you to do 20+ 20 more damage for each energy attached to the defending Pokemon. As a plus, he has 100 Hp. If you want fire, then I would recommend going for Reshiram (B&W or ND). His Outrage attack is really good, and if you need power, he can hit for 120. Reshiram will most likely be harder to get than Tropius.

Also, one other thought: If you want to completely get rid of Chandelure PF, then I would suggest 3 Chandelure ND and one from Noble Victories. Now, you may think this Chandelure is not modified, but he was reprinted in Next Destinies as a Secret Rare, so you can use the NVI version in a modified deck. If he is your active Pokemon, then his ability allows you to put 3 Damage Counters on your opponent's Pokemon in any way you want! Combine this with a Float Stone (really, really, really, really, useful; if you can get 3-4, that will help a lot!!!) and you can use the ability, retreat, and then attack! Just a thought...

Well, I hope this post helps answer your questions! If you ever need any deck advice, feel free to PM me in game. I'll also be around the forums helping out where needed. Good luck and God bless!!

Helps alot. Biggest thing is trying to figure out is building decks. For instance, I was trying out a Plasma theme deck but been struggling to get it to work before I decked myself out. I do not have Tropius*, but I do agree I tend to get rolled simply by Water-Types, so Grass may be a good route to go.

I am also worried about fundamental deck construction, because I am often finding contradictory information (EG, was told by one source to try to limit yourself to 12-14 pokemon for consistency, and another saying you should play 3 types, which I am struggling to find a way to make it work while maintaining the consistency.)

I'd like to refine the deck to the point where I can at least play in Expert and start earning Tokens in that league. Floating stone I have one, so I am gonna have to look for what to replace it with and give it a try. Thanks for your help Dr.

*Update: Found Two Tropius, and added in two Kengaskhan, in hopes to have a way to fish out either the Litwick or the Tropius basic and do a bit of deck thinning early game.

I am also worried about fundamental deck construction, because I am often finding contradictory information (EG, was told by one source to try to limit yourself to 12-14 pokemon for consistency, and another saying you should play 3 types, which I am struggling to find a way to make it work while maintaining the consistency.)

So, the second guy was wrong. A good rule of thumb is a 15-30-15. But this is not strict or anything. It just gives you an ample mix of Trainers and Pokemon. Now, when he says three types, he means Pokemon. It is almost never a good idea to use 3 Different Types of Energy Cards (key word being almost). Most decks will run two different energy types to counter for weakness, etc. Now, three different Pokemon Types can be used like this: Deoxys EX (ability, doesn't attack), Thundurus EX (sets up w/ Lighting Energy), and Kyurem (main attacker w/ water energy). Special Energy can allow both of these Pokemon to attack, or you can just use Lightning and Water Energy. Most users of this Trio usually run a lot of Special Energy.

One other card that could help a lot is Keldeo EX. If you can get your hands on one, he can Rush In with his ability and then Float Stone back to the bench. It's like infinite switch (just remember that you can only retreat once per turn). Hope this helps!

It is almost never a good idea to use 3 Different Types of Energy Cards (key word being almost)

he did emphasise almost

Archived