Newbie looking for next steps for his first PvP deck

leFroxx

Hey there!

I'm new in PTCGO and played nearly only the league modes for the free boosters. Now I want to build my first modified deck for PvP.

I built a very careful start with Serperior and Samurott as main 4-2-2-lines with 2 Levelballs. As additional Basics I added Bouffalant (for the beginning because of -20 dmg) and Patrat (for the beginning and getting more cards/ energy).

I also wanted to add 2 of my EX cards - Shaymin and Kyurem, but I have just 1 of each of them, and I don't really know how to use those cards ingame in a good way. My other EXs are Latios, Mew and Regigias, but I think they are not very good, aren't they?

I play with double*energy (x4), leaf (x8) and water (x8), and my trainer cards are Cheren (x3) and Colress (x2), but I'm not sure about the rest.

So, what can I do next? Is it a good way to use those 2 main lines at all? Can I use my EXs in a good way there? and What trainer cards would be good?

I have about 500 tokens at the moment, and I have no idea what I should buy for them. A new theme deck (I actually don't like any of them) or a specific booster pack?

Many questions... I hope you can help me.

leFroxx

when you say "for the beginning" I assume you mean they're a good pokemon to start with. If so, just keep in mind that even tho they're nice cards to start with you might not get them at your starting hand.

Mew is good, the others not so good. Shaymin might be useful for a late comeback. in General having 1 copy of a card is very unreliable

use more junipers instead of cheren. Use more N instead of colress

Yes, I mean they're good to start with. Well, that's right, but e.g. in the grass basic deck the good starters are Wurmple and Patrat in my opinion, and I had at least one of them in my starting hand nearly each game I played. Otherwise do you have another idea? What are other good starters I can get easily? (They must not be grass or water type)

Really? Mew is good? I don't see how the effect can be THAT good? Do you have an example? But at the moment my problem is a missing good pool of psychic pokemon. I wanted to buy the dragon snarl theme deck, but had to notice it's not available in PTCGO... So what do you think can I get for Mew when I trade it? I have heard that Darkrai and Mewtwo are good EXs. Are they on the same level? *Newbie*

Alright, I understand the thing with N, but I'm a little bit scared to lose a match by having no cards anymore because I used a couple of Junipers in 1 match. Does that happen often?

leFroxx

the ability to copy attacks is very useful, but might be be that applicable to the beginner's theme deck.

if your mew came from the free booster packs you can't trade them

darkrai is a very commonly used EX and has proven to be very good. Mewtwo was good when it first came out but has lost quite a bit over the last few expansions, but still a good EX, especially for a deck that runs double colorless.

almost all professional decks run 3-4 junipers, you often don't deck out as a result of it, but you may get close to it by the time the game has ended. I had the same fears with juniper as well when I first started, and this is often because the theme decks tend to give you so many pokemon that you often feel reluctant to throw them all away. but ultimately if you hand is doing nothing useful at all for you its better to get a fresh hand of 7 with no chance of redrawing the cards from your initial hand

lastly you should conssider rare candy a priority if you plan on running stage 2 pokemon, it speeds up the game a lot which is something you will need to keep up with most people's decks.

Everything is fine but patrat really is not to good draw a card and end turn not to shavy and try to add more N's and juniper's. colress not to good until the end and if I were u keep the tokens for the new x and y theme decks GL and don't take this as an insult :)

Alright, thanks Chronophysicist. I'll try your advices.

@Theunknownhuvv:

Do you know any better basics I could use as starter pokemon? Maybe Wurmple... But I don't know any other.

And the theme decks for X and Y will be released on 2/5/14, so in more than 4 months. I think I want to spend my tokens a little bit earlier ;)

leFroxx

I thought the theme deck for X and Y will be release on 11/8/13 and the expansion will be release on 2/5/14, so you need to wait for just 2 months for X and Y theme deck. Wurmple is not a really good starter Pokemon, since you need to flip a coin to Sleep and Poison, Pokemon like Emolga or Shaymin might be a little helpful for starter, but later on when you start to built competitive deck, you wouldn't put them in. Since you have Grass type Pokemon, you can use Tropius, with just 1 energy you can deal 10 damage and draw until you have 6 cards in your hand, this is a lot better than Patrat and with 2 energies it can deal 20 damage + 20 for each energy attach to the defending Pokemon. You can also use Palkia EX and turn your deck into Plasma Deck, although it is your opinion.

Archived