FIX the dang forums!

DigitalVaper

Hello. I am 30 years old and have been using the internet since before the very vast majority of this forum was even alive. My son got me into pokemon with him and now I'm hooked. However, these forums are such a disaster that they are unusable compared to the standard of other forums. Why am I logged out of the forums every hour instead of having a stay logged in feature? Why do I constantly get "redirected" back to the main section? Why are the forums almost as slow as the legendarily slow game?

Even doing something as simple as trying to trade on one of the threads is stressful. Every few hours I refresh the page to see if I've been replied to but first I get that "redirecting you to where you were" thing then I get told to log in first, so I log in, and I get redirected again. What IS going ON? Please instil a feature to stay logged in and not be redirected - or if it's there, make it visible to the user base. Thank you!

Side Note; Feedback and suggestions are ultimately the same thing. Forcing a usage of a suffix when I'm doing BOTH right now is a bit silly too. Suggestion: Don't do that either.

Not sure if you meant this, but it seems like you are attacking PTCGO.

In one line I do mention it's infamously bad interface and speed. It's not optimized well at all, I understand it's in beta but that's like when minecraft still called itself in beta. The game is old enough now that simple things like lag between menus should be fixed - or in the actual point to my post: The forums shouldn't be so slow and always logging you out.

Hi DigitalVaper!

The log-out feature was put in place for security purposes. Some players may use public computers, so this function helps to protect their accounts should they forget to log out. You can prevent the redirect by logging in in a new tab before refreshing your current page.

Otherwise, we would like to give some attention to the forums as soon as possible, so all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi DigitalVaper!

The log-out feature was put in place for security purposes. Some players may use public computers, so this function helps to protect their accounts should they forget to log out. You can prevent the redirect by logging in in a new tab before refreshing your current page.

Otherwise, we would like to give some attention to the forums as soon as possible, so all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I understand WHY it's there, but we're in a day in age where these forums feel like forums from the 90s. People who forget to log out on some forums (where they shouldn't be posting any vital information anyway) can simply change their password if the issue arises. To put EVERY SINGLE USER in grief over the potential to one or two a week forgetting to log out at the library is insane.

i think the relogging in is a small price to pay for that extra bit of security. cuz the flip side is if you've left it in public, you might not have much of your information stolen but someone playful might think its funny to "help"you break every rule in the book resulting in your account being banned. Its probably possible to resolve the issue after days of discussion with tech support and whatnot but that's obviously a lot more trouble for everyone. Remember that there is a wide age-group of people in this forum and not all of them can be counted on to be as responsible.

Most other forums do not implement this security not because they're more advanced, but because their forum rules are more slack.

Lots of people use public computers or computers that belong to every member of their family, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to lose everything on PTCGO you ever earned.

i think the relogging in is a small price to pay for that extra bit of security. cuz the flip side is if you've left it in public, you might not have much of your information stolen but someone playful might think its funny to "help"you break every rule in the book resulting in your account being banned. Its probably possible to resolve the issue after days of discussion with tech support and whatnot but that's obviously a lot more trouble for everyone. Remember that there is a wide age-group of people in this forum and not all of them can be counted on to be as responsible.

Most other forums do not implement this security not because they're more advanced, but because their forum rules are more slack.

I am a member of two forums that come to mind where the rules are FAR MORE strict than here. One of which has a youthful member-base as well - yet, they trust their user-base to have an IQ level higher than their shoe size and to handle themselves. To inconvenience EVERYONE for the sake of a very very small minority is ludicrous. I promise you these forums would be much more active and successful if this feature were fixed. I for one know that every friend of mine playing online with us won't touch the forums BECAUSE of this, including my son. I won't use them outside of getting on to post a quick trade.

Lots of people use public computers or computers that belong to every member of their family, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to lose everything on PTCGO you ever earned.

Those people need to log out, then, or not checkmark "leave logged in on this computer". I'd gladly take the risk for the reward in that situation, yes.

again I don't believe it to be that high an inconvenience, if you're using it on your home computer just get the browser to remember the password.

I'm still of the opinion that ptcgo is doing a good thing looking out for their player base, not every kid out there understand what it means to log out and its nice to know that there is a safety measure to look out for these people. not every person out there is as tech savvy as you or your son, I've gone into computer stores and seen people leaving their social network accounts logged in on display computers, so these issues do occur.

Lastly, you might be willing to take the risk for the reward but other people don't

If you've got a password on your computer use it. If you're running windows you can just Windows Key + L to lock your computer. I used to do this all the time at my previous job.

again I don't believe it to be that high an inconvenience, if you're using it on your home computer just get the browser to remember the password.

I'm still of the opinion that ptcgo is doing a good thing looking out for their player base, not every kid out there understand what it means to log out and its nice to know that there is a safety measure to look out for these people. not every person out there is as tech savvy as you or your son, I've gone into computer stores and seen people leaving their social network accounts logged in on display computers, so these issues do occur.

Lastly, you might be willing to take the risk for the reward but other people don't

It's a dramatically high inconvenience. To come back from AFK to have to (EVERY TIME) refresh, get redirected to the pokemon.com page, click log in, type user name and password, wait for it to log me in again once I click forums... EVERY time I go afk for 10 minutes. The forums are practically not usable.

The fact of the matter is, if someone doesn't know what it means to LOG OUT (your wording, not mine) then they have no right being on a computer in the first place. Besides, these are the forums we're talking about. Just forums. It's not like they left the game on, too (though, this whole conversation is irrelevant because no one is going to have the game installed on a public computer, anyway so what can they do with the log in? Nothing) they just have access to their forum account. WORST CASE SCENARIO and I promise you it'd happen just as never as it happens now is some kid would get on the forum and post someone derogatory from your account.

The real reason this is in place isn't because of security measures, it's probably because they don't know how to do it otherwise. Just like lag hasn't been fixed on PTCGO yet, and probably never will be.

Don't speak for all other people, I personally talked to friends about this issue since and EVERY SINGLE ONE agreed with me. My entire card store all says the forums are unusable and at least half said the game was unplayable. Obviously, their market is being shortened by their need to baby the minority of their market.

as stated before, why not use your browser to remember the password and have it log in automatically every time that happens? If its a home computer there shouldn't be an issue to do so.

the timed logout system is similiar to those implemented in banking websites so to suggest that this was a result of incompetence would be implying that all the banking websites out there are equally incompetent. Yes banking details are far more important than a forum account but its not a mistake to want to secure your customer's details and privacy.

I'm sure you and your friends and very well educated with computers and see no need for this "babying". but the truth of the matter is there really are a lot of people who are far less knowledgeable that you. and yes the fact that they are not aware of how to log out (I'm not sure why you have to emphasise this term in your post) definitely suggests that they should not being on the computer in the first place, and yet the reality is that they are. I can go to my local Apple store anytime of the day and check out 5 random computers on display and I can always find someone's social network account still logged in. Many people (young or old) still believe that logging out is the same as closing the browser.

To be fair I can agree that the game client itself needs heaps of work and that's why its still in Beta, but the forums itself is not terribly flawed, especially not the timed logout feature. It may be an inconvenience, but it is not broken and therefore doesn't not need fixing.

Definitely agreed with this. In fact, when this forum was released, my first post (IIRC) was used to suggest that basic function (together with some other suggestions).

It really amazes me how so many people are opposed to such a basic function. On all forums, this is a checkbox that's unchecked by default. AKA: it requires a specific action to use. That is enough protection. There is a moment where you have to stop further protecting the idiots, as that is what people are who check the "remember me" checkbox on a public PC (and then there's even a second line of protection: even if you screw up so badly and specifically went out of your way to check that box for god knows why, you can still manually log off. Which is likely to happen, considering they proved their mindset is "Ooooh, what does this button do?").

And as for your other issue: the redirecting definitely also needs to go. Thank you very much forum, for telling me I just logged in. I seriously thought that clicking the "log in" button and entering my log in details would give me superhuman powers. Who could've thought it logged me in?

I don't know if you were around back then, but when these forums were first released, the redirect function was bugged. It would randomly show up. About a 50/50 chance everytime you clicked a topic or something. Wasted lots of time and kicked you back to the main page. So, I made the simple suggestion "just remove the redirect function". What do they do? They actually took their time for the hard way: a fix, rather than just simply disabling this worthless function.

Definitely agreed with this. In fact, when this forum was released, my first post (IIRC) was used to suggest that basic function (together with some other suggestions).

It really amazes me how so many people are opposed to such a basic function. On all forums, this is a checkbox that's unchecked by default. AKA: it requires a specific action to use. That is enough protection. There is a moment where you have to stop further protecting the idiots, as that is what people are who check the "remember me" checkbox on a public PC (and then there's even a second line of protection: even if you screw up so badly and specifically went out of your way to check that box for god knows why, you can still manually log off. Which is likely to happen, considering they proved their mindset is "Ooooh, what does this button do?").

And as for your other issue: the redirecting definitely also needs to go. Thank you very much forum, for telling me I just logged in. I seriously thought that clicking the "log in" button and entering my log in details would give me superhuman powers. Who could've thought it logged me in?

I don't know if you were around back then, but when these forums were first released, the redirect function was bugged. It would randomly show up. About a 50/50 chance everytime you clicked a topic or something. Wasted lots of time and kicked you back to the main page. So, I made the simple suggestion "just remove the redirect function". What do they do? They actually took their time for the hard way: a fix, rather than just simply disabling this worthless function.

THANK YOU for being reasonable. I understand that people want to defend the product they love but no one has given any actual arguments for it other than "we must protect the innocent children!". Just like you said, it's unchecked BY DEFAULT. I'd even be okay with putting it in your profile somewhere and making each person go, one time, out of their way to select to disable the stupid thing.

Again, thank you for thinking critically and using logic and reasoning. =)

I've noticed a growing, terrible trend in forums lately: They're becoming less user-friendly and regressing at a breakneck pace. I've been on a lot of forums over the years, starting in the old days when the internet was taking it's first steps. And I've gotta say, these and many other forums are of notably lower quality than the ones I was kicking around in the late 90s. No auto-login, no custom avatar or signature options, I'm not even sure how to get the torso-shot avatars to work because I'm not sure this place actually has account settings. It's a mess, basic features are missing for no reason, cumbersome B S is added for no reason, I just don't get it. I could go over to a free forum site and make a forum of far better quality at no cost whatsoever. You people are paid to do this. What gives?

I've noticed a growing, terrible trend in forums lately: They're becoming less user-friendly and regressing at a breakneck pace. I've been on a lot of forums over the years, starting in the old days when the internet was taking it's first steps. And I've gotta say, these and many other forums are of notably lower quality than the ones I was kicking around in the late 90s. No auto-login, no custom avatar or signature options, I'm not even sure how to get the torso-shot avatars to work because I'm not sure this place actually has account settings. It's a mess, basic features are missing for no reason, cumbersome B S is added for no reason, I just don't get it. I could go over to a free forum site and make a forum of far better quality at no cost whatsoever. You people are paid to do this. What gives?

Why is it always page two where the logic seems to come in if you're speaking out against a product? Thank you and my thoughts exactly. I literally, with no schooling on programming, HAVE made better forums than this that were far more professional.

I agree with Digitalvaper. Well, I won't say this forum is bad or unsuable, but i also think that this logout protection thingy is rather annoying than protective. The "stay logged in"-button should automatically let you know it's a bad idea to do so on a public computer - whether you have a big knowledge in IT or not.

leFroxx

I agree with Digitalvaper. Well, I won't say this forum is bad or unsuable, but i also think that this logout protection thingy is rather annoying than protective. The "stay logged in"-button should automatically let you know it's a bad idea to do so on a public computer - whether you have a big knowledge in IT or not.

leFroxx

Thank you for your addition to the thread! Mirroring as many have said now: Just add the checkmark and have it uncheckmarked by default.

Personally, I would prefer to have the option to stay logged into the forums. However, our Legal department has made it clear that we are not permitted to have a "keep me logged in" feature for the forums or the website in general for security purposes. I've asked about changing this policy several times in the past and the answer has remained a firm "No". I'll continue to ask from time to time, but I'm obligated to do as Legal has instructed.

Speaking of forum issues..

May I suggest that you change the favicon.ico file in the forums root directory to something uniquely associated with the website? As it is now, the favicon.ico displayed by the forums is the default one. That means it's pretty obvious which forums software that you're using, even though you're otherwise branding free.

You also need some more protection on the profile settings. You've obviously gone and edited some of the templates to remove the links to edit these things from General Settings page, but anyone even vaguely familiar with how this software works (and considering how many major Pokémon fansites use this software, that's a lot of people) is still able to get to those pages simply by typing in the address manually.

Legal could cover themselfs by adding a disclaimer though somthing like: "When you mark this button The Pokemon Company holds no responsebility for the happenings to your account.

Many game sites cover their lawsuits that way.

ANd yes a regular phpbb or smf forum is easy to set-up

Personally, I would prefer to have the option to stay logged into the forums. However, our Legal department has made it clear that we are not permitted to have a "keep me logged in" feature for the forums or the website in general for security purposes. I've asked about changing this policy several times in the past and the answer has remained a firm "No". I'll continue to ask from time to time, but I'm obligated to do as Legal has instructed.

That makes no sense, as someone will say later (and I quoted) you can simply add a disclaimer to your ToS like so many other games do. When even you, a staff member, report that it's ludicrous there is obviously a problem. Do they not care how unprofessional and poorly made the forums appear because of all the simple little things?

well I liked the feature to stay logged in but if its illegal then I would rather not

It's not illegal but the legal department say that to prevent them from having any legal issues.

Legal could cover themselfs by adding a disclaimer though somthing like: "When you mark this button The Pokemon Company holds no responsebility for the happenings to your account.

Many game sites cover their lawsuits that way.

ANd yes a regular phpbb or smf forum is easy to set-up

This. This this this this. This. This this this this this this this this this this this this. This. THIS.

My only beef is you have to have admin permissions to "customize" an avatar. Don't see why it's such a big deal to allow avatars.

The interface of the forums involving the avatars and whatnot is all so confusing and messed up. It's like someone worked on it for a few hours, got it online, and were told it would suffice and they never touched it again. That, or it looks like a website from 2001 when people were still new to the internet and got things wrong all the time.

Archived