Alternative difficulty level system in Trainer Challenge

Chris_P

You know how everyone is annoyed that people can't use their customized decks in Trainer Challenge. Well, that is still an issue. But behind the practical aspect of this need (you do need to try out the decks you make against strong decks before getting them to the PvP and you do need more options in Trainer Challenge so that it is not such an unpleasant grinding experience) there is also another reason why people demand this option. Those decks the opponents in Trainer Challenge use are surreal. If you do want to have the Trainer Challenge as a Theme Decks zone only, then why don't you give the AIs theme decks as well? I mean, existing theme decks, like the ones we can go out and buy ourselves. How does that apply to the difficulty system? Two ways I can think of. First, the same way that we begin with weak versions of our decks that are then upgraded, the same way the AIs could be using increasingly updated decks for each difficulty level as they do now, the difference being that if they actually used the theme decks we are allowed to use too, there would be a better balance, the same kind of balance that would also be achieved now if we were able to use customized decks. Secondly, I have noticed, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the cards in general grow a bit more powerful or useful by each generation. So how about the same AI using a deck of a newest generation for each level of difficulty? I also think it is pretty essential that it becomes clear that any new theme decks people purchase become available in the Trainer Challenge as well.

the reason you're only allowed theme decks against the AI because that's the whole reason its called a "challenge", and that's why you get rewards for completing the challenge.To use your own decks against the Ai there is a vs mode in multiplayer called practice battles which allows you to do exactly that, but because you are no longer limited to just theme decks here, it is no longer a challenge and therefore you don't get rewards.

the Ai's deck does already increase in difficult as far as I know. from when I last played the trainer challenge, which is quite a few months ago mind you, the easy AIs have decks that are almost comparable to theme decks, perhaps a bit better, and by the time you get to expert difficult that's when EXs start to appear.

I agree that the Ai's decklist should be consistent with current format cards but I'm guessing the programmers have a lot on their plate as it is so changing a few cards here and there wasn't on their priority list.

I don't think cards get stronger with each generation, its more like new cards open up new strategies which result in certain cards becoming stronger, but they are not necessarily the cards from the latest set.

It is also made very clear that any new theme decks people purchase become available in the Trainer Challenge as well, whenever you go into the trainer challenge and chose your decks, any theme deck you purchase will automatically show up there.

Of course the AI's decks already upgrade to be consistent with each level of difficulty. I am trying to emphasize on the way this happens, which is why I titled the thread "alternative difficulty level systems". The way things are now, it is like you are playing with theme decks against customized decks. That's where the imbalance lies. Which is why I suggest that the AIs also use official theme decks. Or why I believe using customized decks would still make sense. Anyone who is only now beginning the game, paying for it or for free, will not have a cards collection strong enough to overpower the AI's decks that are full of EXs or similarly strong Pokemon. Also practice battles in PvP (there is no point for practice battles against the AI in the PvP section) are random and are not a consistent reliable tool to measure the effectiveness of your deck. All signs point to making the custom decks available in the Trainer Challenge for me. After all, the Trainer Challenge is available for everyone to go through, so they will all do it eventually, so why not be allowed to chose how to do so. I can see no reason.

the reason you're only allowed theme decks against the AI because that's the whole reason its called a "challenge", and that's why you get rewards for completing the challenge.

I'd get that if the Trainer Challenge gets complete after you beat each trainer once at each difficulty level. When you have to do 4-12 battles with each of them, having definitively weaker decks than your opponents to do so is the grinding experience part that is discussed so much around here, and it is an obvious flaw of the game. No matter how much you advance as a player you are still going to repeatedly have to beat the same players with the same decks for no apparent reason. The challenge should also be in the way you are trying to overcome it, not just in the time you spend on it as if you, yourself are an AI player.

It is also made very clear that any new theme decks people purchase become available in the Trainer Challenge as well, whenever you go into the trainer challenge and chose your decks, any theme deck you purchase will automatically show up there.

That is not clear before purchasing decks. You only get to see that the theme decks you've purchased become available in Trainer Challenge afterwards. Making it clear and well known in general, would help both players (for having more options in Trainer Challenge) and the company (since it would be one more reason for buyers to purchase decks). It would be a nice little plus for both sides.

I don't think cards get stronger with each generation, its more like new cards open up new strategies which result in certain cards becoming stronger, but they are not necessarily the cards from the latest set.

I agree with this.

I'd get that if the Trainer Challenge gets complete after you beat each trainer once at each difficulty level. When you have to do 4-12 battles with each of them, having definitively weaker decks than your opponents to do so is the grinding experience part that is discussed so much around here, and it is an obvious flaw of the game. No matter how much you advance as a player you are still going to repeatedly have to beat the same players with the same decks for no apparent reason. The challenge should also be in the way you are trying to overcome it, not just in the time you spend on it as if you, yourself are an AI player.

the reason they make you play it multiple times for each trainer is because each match is different from the other, the ideal thing they were aiming for was probably for people to play once or twice for each difficulty. the reason they make you do multiple times is because sometimes u can get a very lucky start and win within 2 turns and that's also why the trainer score you get tends to be higher if the match goes on for longer. I'm guessing you're someone with some prior experience to the game since you're seeing it as a grind, I was very new to the game and didn't find it as much of a grind, altho I took a lot longer to realise that you could change the difficulty so I grinded a little longer in easy than I should have.

if the AI used official theme decks as well then it takes away the "challenge" aspect of the match, for 1 thing you could research and look up what cards your opponent has and adapt accordingly, secondly if you've played against other players in theme deck vs theme deck battles you'll realise its even less of a challenge and even more of a grind. Making the AI a bit harder is reasonable especially when they are simple minded and will just play whatever card is given to them without any strategy.

the only real way to measure the effectiveness of your deck is to play against real players. if you beat an AI using a top tier deck it does not mean your deck is proven to be better than that top tier deck because in the end the AI is very simple minded and is not able to make strategic decisions. Ultimately what I'm getting at is that decks are meant to be played against humans, as long as you're playing against an AI you're still playing with training wheels on, you still aren't doing it right.

Absolutely. But practice battles being random doesn't help you at all either. Still AI, and yet you are not in control of what you test your deck against. Going through all of the trainer challenge with you custom deck would help a lot. No competition to humans but since that's the Purpose of Practice Battles, then, shouldn't it be a little more helpful? I agree with everything you said in your latest post, except for the theme deck battles comment (they are my favorite part of the game and as far from being a grind than anything else in it). I am only trying to point out issues where I see them and throw in ideas as well, like we always do. Perhaps something helps.

Archived