the issue with gym challenges

chronophysicist

with packs and rare cards at stake, wouldn't this just allow people with good cards to always be the ones taking the win?

essentially what happens from these challenges are the players with good cards get even more cards and the players with less than optimal cards continue being left out.

having said that I suppose this is also what happens in real pokemon tournaments but I guess in those situations everyone who competed in the tournaments have decks that are comparable to each other. Over here a lot of the tournament participants come with subpar decks and 1 guy with a top tier deck could easily take the win and gain another rare card for his collection while the active beginners get nothing.

I think the gym challenges that are targeted specifically for beginners with restrictions to help level the playing field for beginners should be encouraged more than the pure "everything goes" sort of gym challenge. It doesn't stop pros from participating in those, but at least the cards used will be more balanced.

Hey dude. People with good decks are playing competitively, so it's not unfair. You might wanna do some practicing with trainer challenge and practice battles online before you go out saying that people with professional decks should not be allowed to play

I'm not saying they're not allowed to play, I'm saying these little gym challenges organised by players only serves to benefit the people with good decks. those who have sub par ones don't stand a chance. In a sense the good get better and the bad get nowhere.

I don't think you're understand my statement too well.

The bad get better by being defeated by people with good decks because they know how to strategize if they ever come across that deck again

I think you are misinterpreting what he is saying. The tournaments would be entered by newer players in order to get good cards, since they most likely will not have any, barring going out and dropping $50 or more on packs or tins in order to MAYBE get stuff. Meanwhile, the people with a complete Top Tier deck can walk into a tournament for newer players, take all the wins, and then take the spoils, leaving the people who need good cards unable to get them.

The tournaments that are run by the community just for beginner players keep having people with Tier 1 decks participating, essentially ruining a beginner's chances of getting anything new. Getting "experience" at fighting a top tier deck will not help them in getting the cards needed to fight those decks.

TL;DR, the people entering with top tier decks into the tournaments aimed at younger/newer/poorer players are effectively bullying people out of the chance at winning new cards. It'd be like letting Shaq into high school basketball.

no you can get lucky once but in a tournament you can get lucky once twice but not three and that's probably less then how many you are supposed to play in a tournzment

exactly, Sylfire and Hazmah

also i shouldve answered this before, but i have completed my share of trainer challenges and practice battles. i'm not trying to whine about my own bad plays. I'm just trying to speak for those new players who want to be active and participate in tourneys but keep getting bullied/defeated by top tier decks.

I don't deny that bad decks can win, but its quite unlikely that it would win the tournament.

I wouldn't know that experience because I've never been in a real tournament. I play my friends irl and opponents online but I've never done a tournament. But honestly, if that are going to let top tier decks come into the tournament then why call it a 'tournament for beginners'?

the tournament i'm referring to are the unofficial tournaments and gym challenges that are held online in the game.

we don't call it a tournament for beginners, its just a regular tournament and top tier decks are allowed because its an open tournament. The problem I'm trying to get across is that the top tier deck players are the ones who are going to win those tournaments and winning the prizes from that tournament only makes them even stronger/richer, helping them to decorate their decks with sr and FA card while all the other players who need it more will never have a chance at getting those prizes.

creating a tournament for beginners might be a solution to the issue, but at the moment there's no proper way to filter out the pros from the beginners.

you could say that beginner tournaments are only for people who have played for less than a month, but then how would you know how long someone has played for aside from them telling you so?

you could just ban exs because a lot of people seem to think pros are the ones that use exs, which is really not the case as many pro decks don't run exs and beginners are often misled by that fact and just pump their decks with excessive number of exs

ultimately I'm not saying pros should not be allowed to play tournaments, but I think a lot of tournaments are tailored for the pros and not enough have been design for beginners, and the few who were designed for beginners have no way to filter out pros.

i have a question, you say it's fair for beginners, but even if they win how are they gonna get the prize? usually beginners don't have packs.

hate saying this but worse case scenario there are the shoes.

also you could make it so that participants of the tournament must have at least 1 tradeable card to participate in the tournament. most people do redeem some packs, they just don't spend tonnes of money on hundred of packs.

Correct, even though the levels in the league have changed recently we still offer the excitement of pokemon gym battles for new opponents, the limited lvls allow u to use pokemon of max 90 HP (No ex, primes), under that area a lot of cards can make you a top tierdeck, andthey arent even to hard to obtain(trainer challanges and theme decks).

Archived