Mixing elements?

Autofire

Hello! I'm somewhat to PCTGO (and the series as a whole), but I've been finding the strategy to be very fun. I've been trying to put decks together, but I've noticed something in the matches I've fought in so far...

Many opponents have a single element in their decks.* It seems a bit silly to construct decks with only, let's say, water and normal types. Sure, you are going to throw all fire types, some fighting types, and a few others away. But grass, lighting, and sometimes metal will do the same to the water deck.

*No, they aren't using premade Theme Decks.

One of the main exceptions I see are Team Plasma decks, which mix types but also gain a huge advantage from other Plasma stuff. I only have around 3 Plasma themed Pokemon, so I can't build a deck around these bonuses.

What I've been trying to do is create a mix of types, like psychic with a few darks, being that many psychics are weak to psychic attacks and dark types are resistant to them. The roadblock I get here is that I sometimes have the wrong energies, but Cilian/Energy Search usually helps here. Prism Energy could also help, but I don't have any yet.

So, I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Is there some plus which I don't see yet in having a mostly single themed deck?

yes it can be a difficult thing to look out for your weakness. here'my opinion on some of these issues:

1. This is where I think novice matches can be interesting, because you can expect to see all sorts of crazy decks out there and you'll eventually meet a deck that is your weakness. the same can't really be said when you play in expert mode, where most people would use the very top tier decks such as the plasma deck you mentioned, darkrai, blastoise or the new virizion genesect. The situation is different here because you more or less know what to expect, its either gonna be a darkness deck, a mixed plasma deck, a water deck or a grass deck. up till before virizion came out the other 3 decks pretty much stood without a care in the world for their weakness, sure people could make decks to target the water deck's grass weakness or the darkness deck's fighting weakness, and they might luck out at a few games here and there, but overall the consistency in the top tier decks are just too big an advantage.

2. sometimes you can run a single element deck and still manage with the weakness. The water deck in particular is great for this because if you get your combination right, you can have a full water deck with pokemon that are weak to various elements. So if you came across a grass deck, don't play the suicune if you can help it, drop the kyurem instead. Sadly its not a technique that you can apply for all elements because some elements just have 95% of its pokemon weak to the same element.

3. one of the ways to avoid drawing the wrong energy when adding in pokemon from another element might be to choose the ones that have attacks that only require colorless energy. pokemon like Keldeo EX is a good combination for metal decks which are almost all weak to fire. Sure Keldeo with 3 metal energy isn't dealing the high damage it normally could with 3 water, but it can somewhat compensate with the type advantage against almost all fire pokemon. Another interesting pokemon I noticed in the recent plasma blast expansion is Abomasnow, a water type pokemon that runs on grass energy. It could potentially prove useful for a grass deck when facing a fire deck because altho it is powered by grass energy, it is ultimately a water pokemon which means its attacks will be water based.

4. you're on the right track with the prism energies, but remember that prisms work only for basic pokemon, once you evolve them the prism because just a plain colorless. Blend energy might be the one to really consider. if you're running 2 elements it might be a good idea to run 2 elements that are from the same blend energy card.

5. dragon pokemon, almost all of them will need 2 different elements to use their powerful attacks but often they also will have an attack that is all colorless. they have weakness to their own kind but at least its not the same weakness as the rest of your deck's pokemon so at least that's sorta diversifying.

6. yes psychic is weak to psychic and darkness are often resistant to them. another advantage worth mentioning as well is that there is also a good proportion of psychic pokemon which are weak to dark, not to mention dark pokemon are almost all weak to fighting, and there is also a big proportion of fighting pokemon that are weak to psychic.

whew, sorry if that was a bit long winded, but I think you bring up a very interesting topic for discussion, would be interesting to hear what others think.

Single type decks have an easier time when it comes to managing your energies. This way you always know you will get the correct energy type. That being said, its not always about the type, but the strategy. A water only deck with deluge blastoises and rare candies might be able to get off 100+ damage hits on round 2, which would wreck a grass or electric deck, or any deck really.

I've trimmed the quotes so that it's clear what I'm replying to but not too long of a post. Sorry, I forgot about my own thread and only checked back recently.

yes it can be a difficult thing to look out for your weakness. here'my opinion on some of these issues:

1. This is where I think novice matches can be interesting, because you can expect to see all sorts of crazy decks out there and you'll eventually meet a deck that is your weakness. the same can't really be said when you play in expert mode, where most people would use the very top tier decks such as the plasma deck you mentioned, darkrai, blastoise or the new virizion genesect...

Agreed. Although I have seen a few Trubish decks sometimes. (Oh gosh I can't stand its evolution. That ability-blocking-ability...)

2. sometimes you can run a single element deck and still manage with the weakness. The water deck in particular is great for this because if you get your combination right, you can have a full water deck with pokemon that are weak to various elements...

(Metal types came to mind almost instantly. :P)

3. one of the ways to avoid drawing the wrong energy when adding in pokemon from another element might be to choose the ones that have attacks that only require colorless energy...

Good point. Hydreigon's Dark Aura treats all energies attached to it as dark, so I'm trying to get that one. A few in its evolutionary line also are colorless.

4. you're on the right track with the prism energies, but remember that prisms work only for basic pokemon, once you evolve them the prism because just a plain colorless. Blend energy might be the one to really consider. if you're running 2 elements it might be a good idea to run 2 elements that are from the same blend energy card.

Actually, I didn't know that about Prism Energy. I can see it working for EX cards and other powerful basics. I'll try to get Blend Energy as well.

5. dragon pokemon, almost all of them will need 2 different elements to use their powerful attacks but often they also will have an attack that is all colorless. they have weakness to their own kind but at least its not the same weakness as the rest of your deck's pokemon so at least that's sorta diversifying.

Dialga-EX is definitely one of those. It's actually why I've built a Steel-Psychic deck.

6. yes psychic is weak to psychic and darkness are often resistant to them. another advantage worth mentioning as well is that there is also a good proportion of psychic pokemon which are weak to dark, not to mention dark pokemon are almost all weak to fighting, and there is also a big proportion of fighting pokemon that are weak to psychic.

One reason I chose dark and psychic. Unfortunately it's not working out in the expert matches because those types aren't used often enough to make it worth it...

whew, sorry if that was a bit long winded, but I think you bring up a very interesting topic for discussion, would be interesting to hear what others think.

It's fine. I like all the info. As a matter of fact, in another game forum I have a habit of writing long posts such as this one... ;)

Spécial energy are also alot more easy to discard.

Yup. If I remember correctly, there are some abilities which prevent special energy to be played at all.

Single type decks have an easier time when it comes to managing your energies. This way you always know you will get the correct energy type. That being said, its not always about the type, but the strategy. A water only deck with deluge blastoises and rare candies might be able to get off 100+ damage hits on round 2, which would wreck a grass or electric deck, or any deck really.

Agreed. While I haven't seen a deck like this yet, I bet that I couldn't beat it! xD The only possible counter could be something which resists water, but...hmm...probably not even that with how quickly such a deck could get set up.

Actually blastoise decks have a huge weakness to garbodor. If they dont carry tool scrapper, its almost an instant loss when teamed up with something like darkrai.

Archived