Quick ruling needed! New to game!

JstAnthrPokeFn

I cannot seem to find the rule for this anywhere; but let's say I had a Pokemon/Trainer card that had an effect that allowed me to search for more cards than I have, this is my scenario. I have an Eevee from the new Plasma Freeze set, and it has an attack called "Signs of Evolution". It allows you to search for 3 Pokemon that evolve from Eevee with different types from your deck and add them to your hand. What if one was to use the attack, to find that there were only 1 or 2 evolutions in the deck? Is the attack voided? Or does it allow you to add whatever you can find so long as it's equal to or fewer the number specified (3 in this case)?

Yeah, you simply have to pick as many as are avalable in the deck, also that attack is only good for three different types, so if you only have two types, but four cards then its the same thing.

In short, you may use the cards.

I believe an example of this is in the Psy Crusher theme deck. When using the Eevee's attack Signs of Evolution, you search your deck for the specified cards. However, the deck only contains two each of Espeon and Leafeon. Because you must select unique cards, you are only able to receive one copy of the cards if they are in your deck; that is, a single Leafeon and a single Espeon. The third card, because there are no valid options left, can be forgotten. Likewise, if you use a deck that you know only contains one evolution, you may still use the attack. Please remember that the attack calls for unique evolutions, meaning that even if you have two Flareon that contain different attacks, you still can only take one per attack.

another example of this is beautifly's first attack which lets you search up to 3 different basic energy and attach them to your pokemon. if your deck only runs 1 type of basic energy, then you can only get 1 and attach 1

I cannot seem to find the rule for this anywhere; but let's say I had a Pokemon/Trainer card that had an effect that allowed me to search for more cards than I have, this is my scenario.

The official TCG Rules state that "Deck searches are allowed to fail."

What this means is that whenever an attack/effect/Trainer allows you to search your deck for a card, it is perfectly acceptable NOT to pick out a card (or cards) to fulfill the criteria of the attack/effect/Trainer even if there are valid choices in your deck. This is called 'failing a deck search' and is allowed within the rules.

An example:

You use Eevee's Signs of Evolution attack. There are 4 different valid options (Evolution Cards) in your deck - Flareon, Leafeon, Umbreon and Espeon. You can pick any combination of these you want up to and including 3 cards (as long as they are all different as per the description of the attack). This means you could choose any of the following combinations:

1) Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon

2) Leafeon, Flareon

3) No Cards at all

4) Espeon, Umbreon

And so on.

The attack/efffect/Trainer would not be negated and would still count - so any requirements to play the card (Such as discarding) would not be able to be undone. If it was an attack, or an effect that states you may only use it 'once per turn' then you will also be unable to attack/use the effect again as you have used the 'Search your Deck' part of the attack/effect and therefore used it - all be it not fully. If it was an attack, your turn would then end.

To summarise: Even if the cards are cards in your deck - because deck searches are allowed to fail, you may pick as many or as few as you wish.

Hope that helps!

Thank you all so much for the information! I play Yu-Gi-Oh TCG as well, and the instructions on the cards are very specific. They will specify whether you can get up to (insert amount) or you can get a specific amount. If you cannot do EXACTLY what the card says, it's counted as a misplay. Thanks again guys! You all have been helpful!

Hazmah, do you mean the general rules or that game's TCGO?

We are not supposed to deviate onto other TCG products on the forums. However, I will tell you that if you were looking for YuGiOh!'s TCGO, it was taken down last September/October, meaning all of those digital cards that people collected over the years (for the same price as real ones) went *poof*. If you meant the general rules of that game, those are generally found on the game's official site.

Archived