Lugia EX vs. Shedinja

Dr-Professor

I thought of this match-up the other day, and I wonder what would happen. Lugia's ability states that you take "one more prize card when you knock out the defending Pokemon with one of this Pokemon's attacks". Now, Shedinja's ability says that your "opponent can't take any prize cards". Which ability wins? I'm inclined to think Shedinja, but who????

Shedinja's effect would override Lugia's.

Think about the wording for a sec.

Lugia: "If your opponent's Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack of this Pokémon, take 1 more Prize card."

Shedinja: "If this Pokémon is Knocked Out, your opponent can't take any Prize cards for it."

For Lugia's ability it assumes that a Prize would be given for a knockout. That is what allows it to take one more prize than normal. But due to Shedinja's effect, no prizes can be taken from it being knocked out under any circumstances.

To further explain this difference in wording, compare Shedinja's effect to how Life Dew, a card with a similar effect, is worded.

Life Dew: If the Pokémon this card is attached to is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 1 fewer Prize card.

Notice how, like Lugia's ability it assumes a prize would be given. Shedinja's effect simply prevents that aspect from ocuring rather than alter the amount taken.

If Lugia were to knockout a Pokemon with the Life Dew tool on it, the effects would cancel each other out.

But if Lugia were to knockout Shedinja, no Prizes would be given.

Hope that helps. :)

The stats on it are actually kinda in the middle actually. 60 HP, a 1 Psychic energy attack that snipes for 30 ignoring weakness/ resistance/ abilities.

The free retreat cost and ability are really what it's used for. Combined with the switching attacks of Ninjask/ Accelgor is where it's best used. Plus Ninjask's effect is typically how you'd get it onto the bench to begin with.

I don't get why Ninjask has a retreat cost. It's literally the fastest Pokémon in the game, but it still has to pay to retreat? While Infernape PS somehow retreats for free. I dunno, just doesn't seem right, you know?

I don't get why Ninjask has a retreat cost. It's literally the fastest Pokémon in the game, but it still has to pay to retreat? While Infernape PS somehow retreats for free. I dunno, just doesn't seem right, you know?

the 1 energy is needed to throw the smoke bombs before it retreats, just because its a ninja

It's b/c his attack for one Grass and one Colorless lets him do 60 damage (awesome for stage 1 and 2 energy) and switch to the bench. Deadly when used in combination with Shedinja and Venipede (poison point).

the Pokémon that belongs to villain teams are know to be Tricky in any way. and by any i mean ANY. check Team Rocket, Team Magma, Team Aqua and Team Galactic cards.

Archived