The Forums Are Terrible.

Winglesss356

This has to be some kind of joke.

This is like the extreme version of the censorship that the in game chat tends to suffer from.

What in the world is the harm of allowing the users to hotlink URLs or Post pictures with tags?

In its current state the forums are watered down for children in that they provide the bare bone essentials to even be considered a forum.

The reason for the block on outside links is so other users won't click on certain links that could take them to something that is obscene or infects the user's computer with a virus. Although PokéCo can have a disclaimer gate that details they are not liable for the link's destination, it is better for them to not risk an incident in the first place.

Hopefully, at some point, there will be more options that scale with our age; forum censorship being one of them.

The reason for the block on outside links is so other users won't click on certain links that could take them to something that is obscene or infects the user's computer with a virus. Although PokéCo can have a disclaimer gate that details they are not liable for the link's destination, it is better for them to not risk an incident in the first place.

Hopefully, at some point, there will be more options that scale with our age; forum censorship being one of them.

I'm aware of the reasons why and quite frankly they're absurd.

Before i even get on the censorship i'll talk about the messy nature of the [] codes.You can see it in peoples signatures (every signature is either some broken PNG code or some broken HTML code) and you can see it in random broken bits of bold code in posts(i mean cmon lol.....)

Now...for the terrible censorship that makes this one of the worst forums in existence...i'll use analogy,You don't keep fruit flies off the strawberry patch by stomping the strawberry patch when you see a fruit fly land on it,hopefully you get where i'm going with the analogy.

They could hire more competent mods(this is not a diss to any staff) or just accept the fact that things like nasty pics or links to nasty sites or w/e pop up even on forums where they are against the rules...but those forums atleast provide the basic enjoyable features of using IMG tags as opposed to just stripping features away because the mods might be to lazy to deal with every incident.This also shows a complete lack of faith in the user base of the forum users by the developers.

Honestly the forums are quite pathetic and being kid friendly is not an excuse,especially to people who put money into this game and supported it.

This could relate to my hopes for feature unlocking based on our age.

As we get from Junior to Senior age, some of the censorship can fade off and as we progress into the Master age, all censorship is removed. A toggle on our profiles can be helpful to older players who are a bit squeamish to no-no words.

I completely disagree with you cos some people are not allowed to swear or see swearing cos of family values no matter how old you are you still might not want to swear and stay away from it

As a pokedad I have no problem with them being overly cautious. They want this to be kid and family friendly and the limits they impose are to that end. Other sites may have other rules and that is their right too. They do have staff that works hard to keep thing in order but automation is also needed as the staff cannot be at all places at all times. Unfortunately a limited number of people’s internet manners are not what they should be so we all need to live with the consequences.

One of the big reasons why moderation is so heavy on the Forums (and in game) is that this game is there for children as young as 6 or 7, and Nintendo would be held responsible if children as young as this gained access to inappropriate material via their own Forums.

I agree, Moderation is a bit on the heavy side, but sadly some people would (and have in the past) take advantage and post dodgy material on a child-friendly forum. I am much happier to have no inappropriate content than to have instances of material springing up which is simply not suitable for all audiences.

Perhaps in time, when this game grows and the Moderation staff size increases, players will be given a little more trust - but right now, with resources spread a little thing and attention definitely focused on the main game, I have no issues with censorship being so strong :)

As for your comments about the bugs and errors with the forums - especially the coding and lack of features (the ability to highlight text in colours is the one that's bugging me at the moment..) I do have to agree with you to some extent. I have actually complied a BIG list of all the things I want improved in the Forums (Go read it in the Feedback & Suggestions part of the Forums if you want) but you do have to appreciate we are still in the Beta Phase of this game launch - and things just aren't quite there yet. We're getting there - and the game is certainly improving, but you just have to be patient. As I have already said before, the main focus for developments and improvements right now are the main game client - not on the Forums (and personally I feel that's the right decision based on what this game is all about). A BIG Forum update is due, and I'm sure it will come soon - but for now, try to be a bit patient and understanding. Yes, I agree Nintendo need to increase the size of the team working on this game - but generally speaking they're doing alright at the moment so long as you're willing to give them a bit of time :)

It's really not the censorship that bugs me more than it is the neglect of basic forum features that i'm very surprised to see people put up with a "deal with it" kind of attitude.

What makes it even worse is they have not even attempted to find or explore a work-a-round to the literally featureless forum they are sporting.When the desire to censor words like ***** head and meanie **** sabotage the insecurities of the site developers to the point of excluding IMG tag posting then using "well we want to protect little timmy from profanity he will see,indulge in,and use eventually anyway" is not a good excuse.

I could understand if this game was very hand holdy and promoted playing nice,but the reality is that most people are very surprized when they realize how much of a money hungry game this is.New players are even getting slaughtered on novice because people are stuffing mewtwo ex zekrom ex and articuno ex in one deck cause they managed to scrounge them up.They don't seem to care about fixing the little things that make the game more fair for less financially stable players,but they will gladly make sure redeeming codes work so they continue to make money,yet don't care enough about basic forum features because little Sussie is a princess and we don't want her getting corrupted by hyper links LOL.

The forums are trash,and i'm really not trying to be some kind of negative Nancy or anything but this is really hard to defend IMO.

It's really not the censorship that bugs me more than it is the neglect of basic forum features that i'm very surprised to see people put up with a "deal with it" kind of attitude.

What makes it even worse is they have not even attempted to find or explore a work-a-round to the literally featureless forum they are sporting.When the desire to censor words like ***** head and meanie **** sabotage the insecurities of the site developers to the point of excluding IMG tag posting then using "well we want to protect little timmy from profanity he will see,indulge in,and use eventually anyway" is not a good excuse.

I could understand if this game was very hand holdy and promoted playing nice,but the reality is that most people are very surprized when they realize how much of a money hungry game this is.New players are even getting slaughtered on novice because people are stuffing mewtwo ex zekrom ex and articuno ex in one deck cause they managed to scrounge them up.They don't seem to care about fixing the little things that make the game more fair for less financially stable players,but they will gladly make sure redeeming codes work so they continue to make money,yet don't care enough about basic forum features because little Sussie is a princess and we don't want her getting corrupted by hyper links LOL.

The forums are trash,and i'm really not trying to be some kind of negative Nancy or anything but this is really hard to defend IMO.

Could you keep your negative opinion to yourself?I'd appreciate it.

As for the features of the Forums they have posted that update were going to be coming and that they have frozen development on them until that development could occur.

Could you keep your negative opinion to yourself?I'd appreciate it.

It's not a negative opinion, it's a fact. These forums are almost unusable in their current form. They're downright unprofessional compared to the forums of other games. Fact of the matter is, if someone is so young that they are not allowed to click links then they should not be on forums in the first place.

These forums are almost unusable in their current form.

Go and read Page 1 of the Trading Card League thread in the PvP Discussion part of the Forums. Anyone who says it's impossible to get creative on the Forums hasn't tried - even with limited features, there's still a LOT you can do.

More importantly - I think you are missing the point about Hyperlinks. Nintendo, as an organisation which associates itself with children's games, does not want to be held responsible for the kind of repercussions that can come from allowing any kind of link to be posted unchecked (as let's be honest - very soon it will be impossible to keep up with checking them all as the Forum keeps growing). Not allowing hyperlinks because "little Sussie is a princess and we don't want her getting corrupted by hyper links" is a perfectly legitimate reason - Nintendo have to retain integrity on this matter and can't be seen to allow or promote profanity on their services which are obviously targeted at a younger audience.

If you ask me, I think you're being rather selfish on the matter. What you're basically saying is "I don't care if little children are exposed to dangerous, malicious or inappropriate material - just so long as I can post links to whatever I want because my needs are far more important than their safety." Honestly, open your eyes for a second and see what you're saying. IT IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE FOR NINTENDO TO WANT TO PROTECT THE YOUNGER AUDIENCE OF THE GAME TO ANY EXTENT THEY FEEL IS NECESSARY.

If you don't like it - go and join another Pokemon Forum with an older audience, but in the meantime - stop being so selfish.

Please, any child who knows anything you would consider bad for children got it from someone else in school or from their own parents and that's even at 6 years old. No child is that innocent anymore unless their from the countryside and their parents kept their children away from everything in some over the top serious fashion. As a Puerto Rican kid from the city many many years ago, i've heard it all and even watched the Nightmare on Elm Street series many a time at that age, but then again that's just one child of the 80s, people are more uptight these days, but even in the 2000s, my cousins in Philadelphia (and other kids in the neighborhood) knew what was up, so honestly its about where you grow up in (can't say Philadelphia is the most angelic city known to man), but that's how it is, you gotta respond to the one or two moms that actively complain about things because otherwise, there will be more moms complaining about it... and then some mom complains about the comment I just made :(

I don't really care much as to the forums as I mainly use it to report bugs and make suggestions, but I do dislike how it always feels that someone's breathing down my neck in the game itself in the event I make some kind of remark they feel is inappropriate and then I get pop-ups regarding what was said, and then additional pop-ups telling me not to talk to people about what was said like they're trying to hide something. The fact that I can't even respond back to them in ANY form, in game or out, is also terrible. For a family friendly company, they certainly aren't that friendly in the non-personal way that they handle each situation like that. Not only that, but lastly they'll always talk about players going to the support center with any issues, but my last issue hasn't gotten a response in over a month and that's just not acceptable by any means, so if anything happens, I feel like I'd just get banished with no support at all from the company when I would really need them. How do I report the support center for being lousy? By going to the support center? I honestly expected more out of this company.

I can already feel my post is going to be moderated in some way for stating the truth, but I feel that these things need to be said. If you're that ashamed of your actions that you feel the need to sweep things under the rug, then please find a more appropriate and professional way to dealing with them. As a paying customer (though even if I weren't a paying customer), I would appreciate the support.

Hey there!

We hear your feedback and will pass it forward for review. However I think Ken, TBrurrows and Alex were right on the mark here. Whether or not younger players are exposed to more extreme content outside of the Pokémon TCG Online website does not change the fact that the Pokémon Company is going to take every measure necessary to avoid any such exposure within their premises. While we work to accommodate all of the player demographic's wishes, it's probably better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, ya know?

And whoever said we weren't working to improve forums? That's silly! Of course we are! However hopefully players understand that the development team's main focus at this time is to implement improvements to the game. Meanwhile we're constantly reviewing feedback such as this and debating over what can be implemented to improve everyone's experience ^_^.

Since this thread is getting a little heated, we'll be taking the content already submitted for review, but will be closing the thread to prevent any arguments from sprouting up. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

As always, stay cool!

Archived