Penalty for conceding games!

Thumbalina1810

I have just tried to play 4 games on expert in the PvP games and all of them conceded after a few turns, one even claiming that mewtwo is hard enough to beat but with a darkrai aswell, its impossible!

Why are these people playing in expert if they aren't even going to attempt to try and beat the better decks and instead, just choose to give up. Personally its ruining my game because no-one seems to want to play if its not an easy game for them to win. What happened to sportsmanship and seeing it through to the end? When did the whole game suddenly become all about winning and not being able to take a loss?

Can you please introduce some sort of penalty for conceding games (eg token deductions, timeout periods)?

Rant over!

I think if this game wants to go forward it needs to intriduce something like this. Too many people I have read in forums claim 'it's no fun to continue if you know you are going to lose.' Do people not enjoy a challenge, I have seen so many games that looked lost turned around, they are generally the most fun games of all. But my biggest issue with this is that it's a matter of respect. You let your opponent take the victory that they have deserved.

I understand that there are times when you need to leave a game and thats fair enough, but I think that a system should be in place where if you concede a game you either take a penalty or have to log out and not log back in for a set amount of time like 10 mins or so, then if anyone needs to leave then it's not an issue as they won't be online anyway and it stops people just starting new games until they find an 'easy' opponent.

I think in the long run a rankings system would be the best way to sort this problem.

OMG I know what you mean. When I have a bad hand I still play even if I'm up against EXs. I've been knocked out many times before I even have my first turn. T-T

When I get a good hand and am able to set up quickly I get so happy especially when I'm clobbering EXs but then half the time my opponent would just quit. How am I suppose to test out my new decks without having a full battle? :C

Sometimes I think they quit because I'm a strong female player and it freaks them out. (no girl has ever quit on me)

A penalty is a good idea but it has to be done right because some people quit because something comes up like a parent calls them to do a task or they need a bathroom break and if a player is a parent with kids... well enough said.

So I propose an option page to quitters.

When you quit a battle.... you get two options. Quit or Leave.

Quit results in a coin lose like 500 coins.

Leave makes you leave the website and locks you out for an hour.

OMG I know what you mean. When I have a bad hand I still play even if I'm up against EXs. I've been knocked out many times before I even have my first turn. T-T

When I get a good hand and am able to set up quickly I get so happy especially when I'm clobbering EXs but then half the time my opponent would just quit. How am I suppose to test out my new decks without having a full battle? :C

Sometimes I think they quit because I'm a strong female player and it freaks them out. (no girl has ever quit on me)

A penalty is a good idea but it has to be done right because some people quit because something comes up like a parent calls them to do a task or they need a bathroom break and if a player is a parent with kids... well enough said.

So I propose an option page to quitters.

When you quit a battle.... you get two options. Quit or Leave.

Quit results in a coin lose like 500 coins.

Leave makes you leave the website and locks you out for an hour.

You conceide in tournament in real life so can't we concede in game. You win that's all. The only prob I see is the 5 min minimum to get your tokens.

Whenever there's a ranking or leveling system, then the wins gains and loss penalties will be set up accordingly, but you can't stop a player from wanting to leave if they feel they can't come back to win the game. Pokemon does not have many ways for a game to make a turnaround, and if you know your deck isn't capable of it based on the situation, then don't try to force people to stay.

There is no issue with conceding. Accept it and find another opponent.

Some of us don't care about points. We play for fun. I want full time battles. I love it when the battle becomes heated up and my opponent is a worthy one. having someone quit in the middle just because they are weak and hate to lose ruins my fun. now I have to go back to settings. reset everything. find a new opponet and start all over again. I've had people quit on me many times. After a while... it gets really annoying and makes me want to quit pokemon and come back another day.

if you are not a strong player then go back to novice....

if you are getting your **** kicked... grow a pair and finish what you started.

people forget... no matter how bad things get... they can always turn around. I've been in battles where I was losing big time and seemed victory was impossiable. but because I don't give up... I sometimes turn things around and make a killer comeback. I don't care if I lose. just give me a good fight.

There's so much irony in your post, virtual-dragon =.=

You say "We play for fun", so its ok to continue trouncing an opponent who is not having fun because you want to force them to stay and finish a losing battle?

You love it when your opponent is a worthy one, but the unworthy you'd rather trounce than have them leave.

"If you aren't a strong player, go back to novice". You imply that people aren't bringing strong decks to Novice or that people in Novice don't concede either.

[CONTENT REMOVED]

"No matter how bad things get... they can always turn it around." That is not true. Pokemon doesn't have the kind of cards to make such great comebacks. Not only that, players know their own decks. They will know what they're capable of better than you.

I don't get anyone cares about losing, which is why they concede. They know they've lost. They don't want to waste time fighting a losing battle so they can go try again.

Its too bad that YOU aren't having fun, dragon, but don't try to gain fun by taking away someone else. [CONTENT REMOVED]

Hello trainers,

Let's make sure all posts in this thread remain positive by avoiding personal attacks. There's nothing wrong with a good debate, as long as it stays friendly!

Thanks!

I've seen multiple of these threads here, with the amount of rage-quitters we should probably just make 1 prize only battles, since I very rarely get a battle where my 6 prizes are actually drawn. Had a battle where opponent had 3 exs fully set-up and there was pretty much no way I'd win, but eventually I hit a lot of stun spores in a row to deck him out, and he quit on the last turn... -.-

Guess he shouldn't have used all those colress and friends.

Virtual-Dragon is dead right on this one. Winning or losing doesn't matter to (most of) us who complain about people disconnecting. We care about playing a full game of Pokemon cards. And that's made impossible. I always play theme duels (which is especially a mode you don't play to win or to lose, but to have fun, playing and seeing cards you'd otherwise never play or see), and it happens just way too often that as soon as I evolve, the opponent disconnects, while there was no sign yet I'd win (sure, at that moment I have the stronger field, but that can still easily change). 1 example amongst many: I use Eevee's attack to fetch Espeon, evolve the next turn, and my opponent disconnects already. Unfortunately I face him again, I start the same way, and he disconnects again... What's the ****ing point of facing an opponent like that!? (note: for some reason I can't use "enter" in these forums, hence the wall)

The only thing I want to see is that the developers take action to what needs to be changed from feedback. Why is it taking them so long to make tournament mode?? We've been waiting for a few years

I hate to break this to the whiners, but "scooping" happens IRL and so does conceding. Why should you wait another 6 turns to lose if you have no energy left in your deck? Or some other situational thing. A seasoned player knows when a situation is irreversible, but also you have players that play with limited resources and dont want to face "strong" or "EX" decks. Novice is for those players with limited resources if they are going to complain about "strong" and "EX" decks, and seasoned players will play Expert. HOWEVER, conceding WILL happen, and should NOT be penalized. Its part of any card game, you can quit during your turn. #Dealwithit

I hate to break this to the whiners, but "scooping" happens IRL and so does conceding. Why should you wait another 6 turns to lose if you have no energy left in your deck? Or some other situational thing. A seasoned player knows when a situation is irreversible, but also you have players that play with limited resources and dont want to face "strong" or "EX" decks. Novice is for those players with limited resources if they are going to complain about "strong" and "EX" decks, and seasoned players will play Expert. HOWEVER, conceding WILL happen, and should NOT be penalized. Its part of any card game, you can quit during your turn. #Dealwithit

^this.

I quit occasionally. When my opponent has a mewtwo ex + other powering up stuff on the bench and taking forever during their turn (30+ seconds between moves? zzz) and i am sitting there with 4 swablus, no energies, 2/3 rayquazas prized, no point, waste of time. You want to force me to sit there another 5-10mins to finish the cannot-win game? NO. scooping should not be controlled by anything other than the player - /enter Godwin's law /exit.

I have seen many turn-around games, many which were mine. I can recognize when there is potential for it and when there is no hope for a turn around.

most of what I find in novice mode are the same thing as expert. "go to novice mode" does not change anything nor is it polite to say such.

people leave for many other reasons...

---too many heep sections, internet dies, laptop battery runs out of power and the rest of the technical errors are all counted as the same as scooping. the game cannot detect the difference intentional termination of the program and errors.

---forgot to change some cards. do not want to continue with old/outdated/incomplete deck

---wrong deck <---i have had this happen, clicked wrong deck and when I noticed was too late.

--- i could go on for a long time...

It seems like the main reason people quit is because they don't want to waste time fighting a losing battle, I noticed this and found that when I don't set up any other pokemon and only attack with my active people are less likely to quit because it gives them a bit of hope.

And theres a ton of people who concede on the very last turn, can't wait that last 5 seconds? Or when would rather quit then choose a pokemon for me to take the final prize. (which actually takes more time than just clicking a card)

Technical problems don't happen every game, only very rarely have I seen someone "concede" while they were winning.

If you realized you chose the wrong deck wouldn't you leave to fix that right away instead of playing and saying "oops nv i'm losing lolz brb"

And if everyone is so time-efficient then why not quit when you're winning as well? Playing a game with an expected result is probably a time waste right

It seem a lot of people feel the need of a penalty but when you know you lost in tournaments you are allowed to concede, this is what the person may choose to do. You can't give a penalty for that person to decide the game is lost and not worth dragging as some would choose to give a slow pain (Dusknoir) instead of finishing it with one move. So I don't see the point of giving a penalty. You can just move on and play an other game, you won after all. Besides online people want to have only good battles and not lose because bad draws it seems. Not sure about that last part but that could be why.

It seem a lot of people feel the need of a penalty but when you know you lost in tournaments you are allowed to concede, this is what the person may choose to do. You can't give a penalty for that person to decide the game is lost and not worth dragging as some would choose to give a slow pain (Dusknoir) instead of finishing it with one move. So I don't see the point of giving a penalty. You can just move on and play an other game, you won after all. Besides online people want to have only good battles and not lose because bad draws it seems. Not sure about that last part but that could be why.

There is a big difference between a tournament and this: In a tournament, you battle to win. In this game, you battle to battle. If in a tournament the opponent quits, it's OK, since you reached your goal. If in this game the opponent quits, you only reached your goal half-way. Also, for those who quit when they THINK they lost (9/10 times, you don't know you lost, you merely thought you would lose), put yourself in the shoes of the other player: where's the fun for the other player, if the only full games he can play are games in which he's losing? Those who quit when they're losing should be able to sympathise, since not having fun with losing is exactly the reason people quit (of course, there are also people who stall, in which case quitting has a different reason. But stallers are very rare, and stallers don't make topics and posts like this). Enter button doesn't work on these forums, hence the wall. Sorry for that.

Instead of finding ways to give penalties to people who have the right to leave games (as conceding/scooping is legal), maybe it'd be better to find a way to reward player who complete games (with something more substantial than a token which doesn't go a long way in this game).

Could go the old Dota 2 way and give a chance to reward players with an item prize for completing a game with a random card (based on its rarity) up to and including packs/decks as very rare drops.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm speaking from experience. It's only when the trainer is winning that he or she has a problem with rage quitting. But once they're on the definite losing end I know they attack that "X" on the upper right corner. If it's not too early on, I try to stay in to go out in style and maybe gain a token or two.

Archived