What Will Happen to my Pokemon Cards Online?

Xumot

I've heard in the lobbies that once the next generation of Pokemon X and Y are released that certain Pokemon cards will become useless and out-of-date. Is any of this true? How about the real cards I have? What will happen once fairy type is added and it changes the weakness and resistance to other Pokemon types? Will any cards become useless?

I've wanted to buy more cards but I haven't because I am concerned that they will just become useless online and in real life once X and Y take effect.

What these other players are referring to is the Modified format. Modified Format contains only cards from the most recent expansions. Your cards, even if they are no longer in Modified, can still be used in Unlimited matches. TCGO allows Unlimited matches and almost all real-world Pokémon Leagues support Unlimited format. The drawback of Unlimited is that they are usually not allowed in championships.

A note; If your Pokémon card is reprinted in a new set (same name, attacks, effects, etc.), it becomes usable again. Also, trainer cards are usable if a card in modified has the same name and effect.

You may need a copy of the newer card or a printout of it if you need to look at errata from the updated card. An example is Potion. Originally, Potion only healed 20 HP. A few years ago, it was changed to 30 HP. However, an older card's weakness and resistance (calculated differently than today's cards) is still honored as it is printed.

What these other players are referring to is the Modified format. Modified Format contains only cards from the most recent expansions. Your cards, even if they are no longer in Modified, can still be used in Unlimited matches. TCGO allows Unlimited matches and almost all real-world Pokémon Leagues support Unlimited format. The drawback of Unlimited is that they are usually not allowed in championships.

A note; If your Pokémon card is reprinted in a new set (same name, attacks, effects, etc.), it becomes usable again. Also, trainer cards are usable if a card in modified has the same name and effect.

You may need a copy of the newer card or a printout of it if you need to look at errata from the updated card. An example is Potion. Originally, Potion only healed 20 HP. A few years ago, it was changed to 30 HP. However, an older card's weakness and resistance (calculated differently than today's cards) is still honored as it is printed.

So you're saying all my cards (both physical and digital) will be useful and not be worthless?

I don't really play modified anyway, so it won't affect me- if I understand what you are saying.

Archived