Plan: To Counter Genesect/Virizion

Calvin-Cool

Hello all. I am thinking of a plan to counter the next set's Genesect/Virizion deck. There are going to be 2 great decks in the next set, Genesect/Virizion and Kyurem/Blastoise. For now, I am thinking of how to counter Genesect/Virizion. As there are 2 new Grass-type EXs, the deck types to counter this are obvious. I know Plasma Blast hasn't released online yet but I created this so that we can plan on a deck for countering and we can get the deck material before the prices rise. When Plasma Blast comes out most players will try and keep most of their Fire-types, so before PB releases we can get the deck material and start deck building. Let's review the cards first:

Virizion EX

Grass type

170 HP

Ability: Spring Breeze

Pokemon with Grass Energy attached to them can not be affected by Special Conditions.

(Remove all Special Conditions from your Pokemon with Grass Energy)

[G][C]Emerald Slash: 50 damage

You can attach 2 Grass Energy from your deck to one of your Benched Pokemon. If you do, shuffle your deck afterwards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)

Resistance: Water (-20)

Retreat: 1

Genesect EX

Grass type

170 HP

Ability: Red Signal

When you attach a Plasma Energy to this Pokemon from your hand, you may switch your opponent's Active Pokemon with his or her Benched Pokemon.

[G][G][C]Megalo Cannon: 100 damage

Does 20 damage to one of your opponent's Benched Pokemon.

(Don't apply Weakness or Resistance when damaging Benched Pokemon)

Weakness: Fire (x2)

Resistance: None

Retreat: 1

That was Genesect and Virizion EX. Both have a Fire weakness. Fire type Pokemon will deal a lot of damage. The Inferno ******* Emboar (BW) is a good choice to use against these EXs. Emboar allows you to attach Energies, which is good. A good modified version of ReshiBoar might be enough to defeat this deck. I am collecting some Fire-type Pokemon currently. Infernape PS might be good, if we draw enough number of PS Infernapes and attach only 2 Energies to it then it can deal 240 damage to Genesect/Virizion EX. There are a couple of other Fire-types which deal good damage. If a good Fire deck comes out with these all, then there might be a good way to counter Genesect/Virizion. Also, the Outrage Reshiram is good for countering this deck. First move depends on damage counters on it but the second move deals 120 damage (240 for Genesect/Virizion) which is good. The old TyRam deck might be good too, with Typhlosion Prime, Reshiram Outrage and Ninetales. With all these Fire-types here we can come up with a deck to counter Genesect/Virizion but it seems Emboar Inferno ******* is a bit rare.

There was a Genesect/Virizion deck used in many of the matches of Japan Worlds 2013 Qualifiers. Got this info a while ago. People in PTCGO may use a similiar deck but of course they will modify it. With this deck in mind we have to think of a counter ;)

Pokemon: 7

4x Virizion EX

3x Genesect EX

Trainer: 41

4x Professor Juniper

4x N

3x Skyla

2x Bianca

1x Cheren

4x Ultra Ball

3x Shadow Triad

4x Pokemon Catcher

4x Eviolite

3x Energy Switch

2x Switch

2x Skyarrow Bridge

1x Tool Scrapper

1x G Booster (ACE Spec)

1x Super Rod

1x Max Potion

1x Town Map

Energy: 12

11 Grass Energy

1x Plasma Energy

What do you think guys? Let's discuss and think of a counter.

Some suggestions and opinions:

Victini EX may K.O. Genesect EX or Virizion EX in one hit, plus if its equipped with Victory Star Ace Spec... Well, it may deal massive damage to put it on simple terms... Although Victini EX HP is somewhat low compared to other alternatives, but may be setup pretty quick... Other counter worth to take a look is Heatran EX.

Okay you have got to be kidding. This deck is simple to counter. All you need is to just stack a deck with 2 pokemon. Sigilyph and Suicune. If there only pokemon are Exs. What are they going to do against the 2 safeguard pokemon?

The Genosect, Virizion deck needs to carry something to counter this sort of shenanigans. Is it Garbador. Nope because that would make their abilities also pointless. The best bet is to carry another big basic attacker that isnt also weak to fire, can make use of grass or can work with only a few blend/prism energy and isnt an Ex. Because deck already needs a bunch of plasma energy, putting another playset of blend/prism energy might be pushing it if the opponent runs enhanced hammers or cobalion.

Speaking of Cobalion. The plasma steel deck could also rip this deck apart, once it gets set up and still be a worthy deck to play in a tournament that wouldn't just flop around against other decks. Though Lucario with Dual Armor would work wonders with this deck as it isnt weak to fire and still is immune to EXs.

The only problem is that it is also weak to fire, which will be one of the main decks to come out to counter the Genosect decks.

Honestly if it were me building a genosect deck. i would probably throw in 2-2 or 3-3 Cherrims, pokecenter, and keldeo floatstone. Being able to heal for each turn for like 80 hp max is pretty crazy, especially when you are immune to status effects. Sure they are catcher bait. But in theory, this deck can have 8 catchers, which imo can make up for a loss of a few cherrims instead of your genosect. I feel like you would be stupid to try and catcher out cherrims when you have a fully charged genosect ready to smash you.

How about a Haxorus/Cradily/Altaria deck? Anyone think that might work? Could either take out cradily or altaria for a more streamlined deck.

I agree that suicune can probably be added to a blastoise/keldeo deck to counter genesect/virizion. Probably only thing to watch out is a Genesect with G-booster. Maybe run a couple of tool scrappers just in case?

Guys sigilyph and suicune safe guard are not much of a nuisance as you think.

firstly non ex grass pokemons eg virizion NV and Genesect are good starter pokemon but can deal with them methodly.

and if you forgot about Genesects Ace-Spec G-Booster it can attack over all effects, so it can deal 200 damage for a sure ***** any pokemon who haver 200 HP below which is like 99percent. ontop tool scrappers will be added to counter garbardor and giant capes. and even Plasma steel wont be a problem nevermind safeguard pokes.

and G-Booster is a plasma card so shadow triad will be in most virizion/genesect decks to overun scrappers by opponent.

for fire attackers,

well people can try to add plasma frigate or even leavany to get the no weakness.

maybe a non grass attacker, eg RegigasEX/Dialga EX can be an attacker whilst you avoid benching too many grass pokemon.

most water type attacker specifially require wtaer energy so i dont think theres much we can do.

but its like keldeo and landorus, its either lucky or complete utter defeat :P

i

Actually, I play a 3-3 Cherrim and 2 Pokemon Center in a Beedrill deck that I play. I hardly ever get all three out. The hassle to set up an EX would be made even more so by the bench-sitters of Cherrim. Good idea though, I just don't think it will work that well.

Victini EX may K.O. Genesect EX or Virizion EX in one hit, plus if its equipped with Victory Star Ace Spec... Well, it may deal massive damage to put it on simple terms... Although Victini EX HP is somewhat low compared to other alternatives, but may be setup pretty quick... Other counter worth to take a look is Heatran EX.

Okay you have got to be kidding. This deck is simple to counter. All you need is to just stack a deck with 2 pokemon. Sigilyph and Suicune. If there only pokemon are Exs. What are they going to do against the 2 safeguard pokemon?

The Genosect, Virizion deck needs to carry something to counter this sort of shenanigans. Is it Garbador. Nope because that would make their abilities also pointless. The best bet is to carry another big basic attacker that isnt also weak to fire, can make use of grass or can work with only a few blend/prism energy and isnt an Ex. Because deck already needs a bunch of plasma energy, putting another playset of blend/prism energy might be pushing it if the opponent runs enhanced hammers or cobalion.

Speaking of Cobalion. The plasma steel deck could also rip this deck apart, once it gets set up and still be a worthy deck to play in a tournament that wouldn't just flop around against other decks. Though Lucario with Dual Armor would work wonders with this deck as it isnt weak to fire and still is immune to EXs.

The only problem is that it is also weak to fire, which will be one of the main decks to come out to counter the Genosect decks.

These two new EXs, Genesect and Virizion are put up in one deck and it's combination makes the counter to this deck more obvious. ReshiBoar may be a good choice and the Suicune and Sigilyph combo is a good idea too, Suicune completely prevents taking damage from Genesect/Virizion. Suicune is out in the match with both of it's weaknesses but it prevents damage from Genesect/Virizion. Fire-type EXs will do well against Genesect/Virizion. And also the Klinklang/Cobalion deck has always been great :P I am a Klinklang/Cobalion user myself. Klinklang/Cobalion has the advantage in TDK or TDL too, because of the Plasma Steel Klinklang. Thanks for your opinions, waiting to hear what more people think.

I am agreeing here Ivy_Profen here,Sigilyph/Suicune will be a very good combo and counter against Genesect/Virizion,we could alaso put some attackers to the deck.It will happen like this:First of all,we have to keep lot of switches,now when battling,when sigi and suicune are dealing with Genesect/Virizion,we could set-up the attacker and switch him with the attacker and KO Genesect or Virizion

How about a Haxorus/Cradily/Altaria deck? Anyone think that might work? Could either take out cradily or altaria for a more streamlined deck.

I agree that suicune can probably be added to a blastoise/keldeo deck to counter genesect/virizion. Probably only thing to watch out is a Genesect with G-booster. Maybe run a couple of tool scrappers just in case?

Guys sigilyph and suicune safe guard are not much of a nuisance as you think.

firstly non ex grass pokemons eg virizion NV and Genesect are good starter pokemon but can deal with them methodly.

and if you forgot about Genesects Ace-Spec G-Booster it can attack over all effects, so it can deal 200 damage for a sure ***** any pokemon who haver 200 HP below which is like 99percent. ontop tool scrappers will be added to counter garbardor and giant capes. and even Plasma steel wont be a problem nevermind safeguard pokes.

and G-Booster is a plasma card so shadow triad will be in most virizion/genesect decks to overun scrappers by opponent.

for fire attackers,

well people can try to add plasma frigate or even leavany to get the no weakness.

maybe a non grass attacker, eg RegigasEX/Dialga EX can be an attacker whilst you avoid benching too many grass pokemon.

most water type attacker specifially require wtaer energy so i dont think theres much we can do.

but its like keldeo and landorus, its either lucky or complete utter defeat :P

i

Honestly if it were me building a genosect deck. i would probably throw in 2-2 or 3-3 Cherrims, pokecenter, and keldeo floatstone. Being able to heal for each turn for like 80 hp max is pretty crazy, especially when you are immune to status effects. Sure they are catcher bait. But in theory, this deck can have 8 catchers, which imo can make up for a loss of a few cherrims instead of your genosect. I feel like you would be stupid to try and catcher out cherrims when you have a fully charged genosect ready to smash you.

Actually, I play a 3-3 Cherrim and 2 Pokemon Center in a Beedrill deck that I play. I hardly ever get all three out. The hassle to set up an EX would be made even more so by the bench-sitters of Cherrim. Good idea though, I just don't think it will work that well.

I agree with all of you :P there are loads of counters to this deck. Currently I am thinking of a deck with Infernape PS. It's Malevolent Fire attack does 120 damage and 240 damage to Genesect/Virizion and only taking 2 Energies. And it's also hard to get Inferno ******* Emboar.

Flareon/Entei EX and Tool Scrappers. Haxorus and Silver Mirror. Emboar and Rayquaza.

A Deck based around 4-0-4 Infernape PS w/ Rare Candies could be interesting/fun.

Here, try this idea: A combination of Infernape and PF Chandelure. That way, you can use Malevolent Fire every turn (just make sure you have 2 Super Rod to get all that energy back). I actually play a deck like that. It's really fun to play. 4 Reshiram, 2 Entei EX, and a 4-1-4 Chandelure.

Emboar & Reshiram-EX/White Kyurem-EX(Ice Burn)/Dark Heatran-EX For The Win. even if Dark Chandelure(Plasma) resembles Typhlosion Prime, its slower than Emboar. also you could try Rayquaza(Dargon Pulse)/Altaria to do up to 120 damage with 1 energy!.

Emboar & Reshiram-EX/White Kyurem-EX(Ice Burn)/Dark Heatran-EX For The Win. even if Dark Chandelure(Plasma) resembles Typhlosion Prime, its slower than Emboar. also you could try Rayquaza(Dargon Pulse)/Altaria to do up to 120 damage with 1 energy!.

white kyurem and regigigas are applicable to chandelure deck more better and bring variety to when your facing water pokemon or other decks, particularly with kyurem pf.

the danger is, to do more damage your pokemon are more vulnerable to being ko'd and that's a whole bunch of energy and time of set ups.

the fire decks main weakness is keldeo(Blastoise) and kyurem(TDKL),

and in a fire deck latias ex is easily added with either some psy energy or psy blend.

it has protection against keldeo, blastoise ,bouffer and suicuine except for those teched with mewtwo in them,

so that's generally blastoise/keldeo brought down to a playable standard.

for TDK or deck based on kyuremPF attacking,

running silver bangle on pokemon like emboar/reshiram will bring that valuable protection and stall to set up.

silver bangle can also help against genesect ex running without G-Booster.

and i think spiritomb has an effect if in play(or active if i'm wrong) can keep it blocked permanently after a scrapper if set up with.

Well seeing as Genesect will be a Team Plasma Pokemon,the newly released Haxorus will be able to solve that problem,as it's second attack allows for the one sided,one hit KO of Team Plasma pokemon.That's 4 pokemon right off the board,if they manage to get them all out.

I feel like Abomasnow might be an possible pokemon in up coming grass decks. Being a water type that uses grass energy. It could be a helpful pokemon to cover its fireweakness. being able to hit for 80 + confusion seems pretty good for 3 energy. Being able to charge up in one turn using Virizion, it would be able to OHKO a much of the threats on your grass team.

Archived