Re-Release HG/SS Expansion Deck/Pack,Allow HG/SS Modified Format

MomiMomiMomiji

While many players are interested in only playing and testing out their high end modified decks, many others, including new players, just want to play and have fun doing so. With the current format of Pokemon (including Pokemon EX), there are many who are trying to find ways to avoid it due to how unrelenting old players can be to new players, and how long and difficult it is to get a good collection of currently available cards. Remember that the players of Pokemon come from a variety of ages, young and old, and if you want the player base to increase then you'll have to cater to all sorts.

When you're going for a F2P model, you have to respect both kinds of players: The ones who will pay, and the ones who will just play. They're going to exist, and you don't want to turn away any of them as those who are free to start may one day become paying players when their experience reaching a point where they would want to invest or compete in the current modified format.

Therefore, I'd like to suggest 3 things:

First, I'd like to see HG/SS packs and decks to return, though at a fraction of the price of current modified sets. 20 coins for a normal 10 pack of cards from the HG/SS series (or any series of cards that are not on the current modified gameplay list) and 100 for a HG/SS Theme Deck would allow players to be able to play in an unlimited format more effectively and would get new cards in their collection on a more regular basis. While they wouldn't be able to play in the latest format, many would be satisfied to just be able to play with more options and not feel that they had to PAY in order to WIN, which is an issue with players among many free to play online games.

Next, provided the first part were to be implemented, then the next would be to allow player to be able to trade with other players who have purchased these HG/SS Cards/Packs obtained in the manner (which would need another value in the database, similar to the "Locked" cards value) The Pokemon TCG is a "Trading" card game, though i'm sure you've heard this around many times. Preventing a player from trading because they haven't paid real money feeds into the "Pay to Win" model that online communities generally hate. Allowing even these types of cards to be traded would mean that these players would still need to pay to get the latest cards available in the TCG, but not feel that they cannot enjoy the game as much because they have no options or ways to expand easily. The current price of packs being at 95 coins for 5 cards is hefty. You maybe get 25 a day free, and then you'd have to play a ton of games to win maybe 1 coin each. Even then that's 1 5-card pack every 4 days. At least players can get new cards more often with 20 coin packs of HG/SS cards and be able to play with them unrestricted.

Thirdly, if such were allowed, then perhaps the return of a "HG/SS Modified format" queue to play this specifically in.

Lastly, you guys are currently not making profit on old HG/SS cards (or at least nowhere near as new cards are). You might think releasing them might cause people to stop investing money on newer cards, but remember, those who have money wouldn't complain about not having cards! They would've already paid and have access to those new cards. Keeping player interest is important! Having access to 20 coin packs would allow those without to still enjoy the system, and to have a reason to come back every day (as free coins would be enough to next those 20 coins to buy a classic pack Daily)

I too would like to see a HG/SS modified format, as part of a re-release. Although there is one thing that still has yet to be fixed before such a re-release is planned, and that is the LEGEND cards, as last time I checked not even Pokemon Communication could call them out.

Pokémon TCGO follows the modified format set by PokéCo Int'l. For HG/SS to be included in modified matches, a reprint of the same card would have to be released into a new expansion.

If your idea for cheaper cards that are not in modified is following a suggestion I posted earlier, then there might not be a problem with that. It would promote a wilder array of possibilities in an unlimited match.

I never said the HG/SS should be integrated into Modified. Where'd you get that idea? My third option states to have a queue for the old HG/SS modified format, not to merge it with the current format.

While my topic did stem from you trying to make value from HG/SS cards, I think this is a more effective way of doing so. Making them rare and expensive helps no one. Making them cheap and available for newer players who don't have access to the latest and greatest cards helps them out more. It also expands the variety of the online game, instead of phasing out old cards altogether.

More of a preservation by public availability approach, then? Guess that makes sense. In the physical realm, these older cards are easily forgotten. Think about how there might be some cards with less than a hundred copies surviving.

Well, I would like to see a wider range of cards myself. Letting the older cards get phased out seems like a waste.

I'd like the ability to purchase cards from that era online! (from all eras really)

And I guess it makes sense that cards that are not part of the current modified format are cheaper.

Archived