The Forums.

AlexManectric

Heya,

I've got some extensive feedback on the Forums in general. I've broken it down into sections - and hope that at least some of these are possible to roll-out ASAP! Personally I feel some of these are unacceptable in their current state, and really do need some of your time.

Clutter

The forums are unquestionably cluttered - with threads still open from the very first moments since the Forum was available way back in 2011. This contributes to over 150 pages (of 20+ threads each) in some sections in the Forums and whilst some of the content is fantastic for the legacy of the Forums, they're certainly not being viewed or used anymore. It might be time (as this game continues to grow) that we consider a cut-off point after which threads are permanently deleted from the Forums. This could be 'x' number of months after the last post on that thread (I suggest 3-4 months) or some time after the last time the thread was viewed. Either way, it is time we start trying to de-clutter the Forums to help users trying to search for things (using the search function or otherwise) come across relevant threads rather than year-old clutter. A good example of this was when I searched for my (still very active) friend's username throughout the forums and had my search returned with threads they had created over 2 years ago that simply have no point anymore. Would it be possible to remove huge blocks of older threads without resetting the entire Forums?

Updating

The Forums need updating from a Moderator's point of view, and the most important place for this is the FAQ page. Though I appreciate Moderators have important tasks to complete - User Guides HAS to be one of the most important priorities, right? Around 75% of the information in the FAQ looks like it hasn't been updated since the original flash version of the game was still live and this simply is not good enough when new players come looking for helpful, concise and accurate help. (What's worse is that many of the settings listed and linked in the FAQ don't even exist anymore - which could quickly lead players on a wild goose-chase). The fact that this FAQ page has not been updated in over two years simply isn't good enough, and it would be an afternoon well-invested to sort that out.

Whilst on this subject, the Player Guide with sticky status on the Feedback section of the Forums (I won't name the player to avoid breaching the rules - but the thread's title begins with '(For New Players) A very detailed guide...') whilst absolutely fantastic when it was produced now is outdated and contains a fair amount of mis-leading information. As the player in question has now left TCGO for good, the thread is not likely to get updated anytime soon, so if Moderators are do not have the time to update this thread (which is perfectly understandable), or allow another user access to make the necessary changes to that guide, it should be removed from sticky status as it is going to start causing much more confusion than it is good (particularly with a new Format and Site layout coming up).

Supplying good information to new players is a fundamentally important investment now that should hopefully reduce the number of repetitive questions we get on the Forums in the future.

Editing Issues

When trying to edit the Forums, there are an extremely large number of bugs that can normally be worked round, but require a high amount of understanding or patience to deal with. It would be useful to those who post a lot of content on the Forums if these could be looked into:

1) Censoring when trying to add colour. For some reason, the formatting tag: {COLOR=#XXXXXX} (with square brackets and the X's replaced with the correct colour code) almost ALWAYS causes the text immediately following the tag to be censored. The issue also occurs when applying the Bold Formatting, and then a Colour Formatting (eg. Red Text Colour) to a piece of text. An example of this is: hello[/b]

(It was meant to be the word hello both in Bold and in Red (with the Red formatting tags on the outside, and the Bold formatting tags in between: ie. COLOR|B|hello|/B|/COLOR)

2) Table Editing: This is a nightmare in the current set-up, as when trying to add to or edit the contents of an existing table, the only option is to go through the coding. What we need is to be able to view the table as a table (like we do when we insert a table for the first time), rather than as coding (or at least have the option to do this) as it would make editing table contents so much easier - and avoid deterring those who currently don't use tables because of how messy they are to edit. (Maybe that's just me, but I find it heavily restricting in a lot of cases)

<--- Urm.. It happened again...

3) Emoticons: Please can we expand the emoticon list available to us in the Forums to include the Elemental Symbols and status conditions? I can think of many uses for these, aside from just brightening up the forums (this is a more minor one)

4) Dictionary Language selection: I've touched on this one before, but it would be nice if, for example, I could change the dictionary on the Forums to English (UK) rather than English (US) etc. It's not a major thing, but the number of times instances where it flags up a correctly spelt is enough to justify this request.

Help & Support

If there's any one request you take me up on, please let it be this.

The Forums NEEDS a CLEAR space for people to post their 'I don't know what I'm doing'/'How do I..'/'What if...' questions: A Help & Support section. This was removed in a recent update that introduce the archive, but desperately needs to be brought back. Hopefully it would cause a dramatic and necessary reduction of the number of people who post their questions in any old place because they can't find a clearly defined place to do this.

There's a lot to take in there, but I felt it necessary to put it all in. There's some things that need to be done urgently, and others that aren't essential at all - but hopefully you agree with me that it would be good to make at least some of these changes. Most importantly however, we need to see an investment into bringing the Forums up to date, so that information is correct, concise and accurate. Right now there is clear evidence to suggest the ball is being dropped in some areas, and this needs to be sorted out.

It also wouldn't hurt to see an actual list of Forums Rules - rather than speculation. I've tried to read this before, but never can seem to find it...

I am happy to help on any of the above things if you would like me to - just ask. I know time is precious for you guys, and I'm willing to do what I can :)

Best Wishes as always,

AlexManectric

Thanks for the feedback. There are definitely some issues with the current implementation of the forums. Unfortunately, the manpower necessary to make many of these changes (as well as the laundry list of change requests and new features that I've been compiling for the better part of a year) is allocated to other projects at this time. I'm hoping to see that shift a bit later on this year, at which time I will be pushing hard for some major improvements to the forums.

Thanks for the feedback. There are definitely some issues with the current implementation of the forums. Unfortunately, the manpower necessary to make many of these changes (as well as the laundry list of change requests and new features that I've been compiling for the better part of a year) is allocated to other projects at this time. I'm hoping to see that shift a bit later on this year, at which time I will be pushing hard for some major improvements to the forums.

Like I said, if you would like me to help with the more pressing things (Fixing the Guides and FAQ) you need only to ask :)

Like I said, if you would like me to help with the more pressing things (Fixing the Guides and FAQ) you need only to ask :)

Not heard anything yet, so I'm assuming everything is under control and that you wouldn't like my help?

Can the addition of a 'Ask a Question/Help' section to the Forums be shifted to high priority status? The number of mis-placed questions from (new) players means they're not being responded to nearly as quickly as they would be if they were easily relocatable and that makes existing bugs that can be circumnavigated more of an obstacle in the game as fewer people know how..

Regards,

Alex

Archived