Sink for non-tradeable cards

BlackRei

I noticed that there is no real sink in the game and it can be a problem especially for cards you get for free.

Once you get them, they're stuck with you forever and after just a few months playing, you'll have hundreds of cards.

Having ten non-tradeable copies of Kyogre-ex is cool, but definitely not very helpful in matches.

The absence of a sink might not have a huge impact on the virtual economy right now since there's no direct connection between cash and non-tradeable cards, but at the very least, it will reduce clutter in your collection.

My suggestion for now is a card trader of sorts for non-tradeable cards.

For example, trading in 10 cards for a random non-tradeable card, or 25 cards for a non-tradeable booster.

(much like the chip trader from the Rockman.EXE series)

I'm not entirely sure how such a mechanic will affect the game, but I do believe the game needs a sink and the prospect of receiving new/better cards should be a good incentive for players.

Hey BlackRei!

I'll escalate your suggestion to the Dev team and leave this thread open for discussion.

Thanks so much!

Why would anyone be willing to trade in 10 useless cards for a random non-tradable card, and risk that one card being useless as well?

I like the idea of the booster pack though. And I liked even more the idea of recycling excess cards for trainer tokens that somebody else had suggested some time ago. I agree it would be something beneficial and I think it wouldn't impact the promotion of the physical game purchases through the online game, since the free cards would still be limited in all the same ways as they are now.

Why would anyone be willing to trade in 10 useless cards for a random non-tradable card, and risk that one card being useless as well?

Because there's still a chance you'll get a good/new card. Well, it doesn't have to be that many, I was just giving an example, but I believe there at least has to be some sort of risk to go along with the chance of getting a good card. IMO, it makes this sort of thing more fun.

And it's pretty much the same case with boosters, only with 1 card instead of 10.

...though I guess you're guaranteed at least one rare card in a booster, huh? ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Maybe...limiting the variety of cards you can receive by scaling the trade requirement with rarity?

For example: giving 5 cards for the common trader, 10 cards to receive at least an uncommon card, and 20 for a rare card.

And I liked even more the idea of recycling excess cards for trainer tokens that somebody else had suggested some time ago.

Hmm... that's pretty good, too. It's much more fluid, especially once buying packs with tokens is implemented.

But IMO, the uncertainty in receiving a random card is much more exciting.

You know, isn't that why so many people spend so much on the lottery?

But again, it's just my personal preference and I'd love to hear other players' opinions on this.

You know, isn't that why so many people spend so much on the lottery?

Very true! You see, I am not against your suggestion. I just think the cost is too much for just one card and that is all. Because imagine if you give up on all your excess card that way, and then you end up only with cards that you don't want once again, but ten to fifteen times fewer in number! I find it scary really. :P I do agree with the sentiment and the idea. The system is what I have an objection with, but I am not in a place to really judge that, especially when you simply provide it as an example.

Very true! You see, I am not against your suggestion. I just think the cost is too much for just one card and that is all. Because imagine if you give up on all your excess card that way, and then you end up only with cards that you don't want once again, but ten to fifteen times fewer in number! I find it scary really. :P I do agree with the sentiment and the idea. The system is what I have an objection with, but I am not in a place to really judge that, especially when you simply provide it as an example.

Honestly even if you don't get cards that you can use, at least you don't have 200 useless cards anymore! I'm sure that it'd be much easier to construct a deck if you aren't sifting through your 400-600 cards, no?

How about turning in sets of five cards to earn Trainer Tokens, requiring them all to be the same rarity and giving different multipliers for the rarity turned in. This could be a fair way to get rid of unwanted cards and purchase items that interest players such as boosters, decks, and avatar objects among other cosmetics. By multipliers, I mean something along the lines of 10p for five common cards, 25p for uncommon, and 50p for rare. The same could be done with tradeable cards and award gems instead, creating a rewarding sink in a dual economy.

1 common card- 1 trainer token

1 uncommon card- 5 trainer token

1 rare card- 10 trainer token

1 super/ultra/secret rare card- 50 trainer token

5 common card- 10 trainer token

5 uncommon card- 25 trainer token

5 rare card- 100 trainer token

5 super/ultra/secret rare card- 500 trainer token

I don't remember the technical term for the super rare cards.

1 common card- 1 trainer token

1 uncommon card- 5 trainer token

1 rare card- 10 trainer token

1 super/ultra/secret rare card- 50 trainer token

5 common card- 10 trainer token

5 uncommon card- 25 trainer token

5 rare card- 100 trainer token

5 super/ultra/secret rare card- 500 trainer token

nnn... pretty reasonable numbers.

but maybe 5 uncommon cards for 50 trainer tokens to keep with the x10 trend, right?

and I guess basic energy cards will have to be excluded from the trade-in, huh?

Definitely have the x10 trend. I mean, is there a reason to trade in basic energy cards? :S You get an infinite amount. But they'd have to be common level.

I mean, is there a reason to trade in basic energy cards? :S You get an infinite amount.

My point exactly. They should be excluded from the trade-in because you get an infinite amount.

Except maybe the textured Black&White prints, since you can only get those from boosters and will have a limited number.

I think they should be sub-common though.

Basic energy cards, as I've seen, do not have a rarity assigned to them. That would make them ineligible for a rarity-based system anyway. Many special energies, however, are usually labeled as uncommon or rare.

Actually, basic energy cards will come up if you run a filter for common cards. And Ive seen the little circle designator thingy on the bottom right side of the cards since the RSE days. (maybe as far back GSC? but I remember the base card set didn't have it yet)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh awesome... so it's not just me who hates all the clutter.

I for one am donating the tradeable cards but those none-tradables are still there.

I want to buy a few boosters using my coins but what do I do with the cards I pull that I don't want? They just stay there forever?

Never to be used?

I suggest a Quick Donation button for the cards that are tradable. Maybe something along the lines of the "Money Tree" system they have in Neopets.

and a Delete button for the untradeable so I can clear up my collection.

I don't see the point of keeping cards I will never use even if they are rare since they can't be traded.

thou I like the suggusting of being adle to trade the non-tradeables for other things. How about 30 for another non tradeable booster or some clothes for my avatar?

Archived