Random Deck Construction Game Type

LIBRARIAN1CHS

Basically, you get a set number of cards (Let's say 120, with duplicates each counting as one) and you fabricate a deck using them. Basic Energies are infinite. There would be something like a five-minute time limit, most likely, so that you don't just lurk in that construction room. Then you face off against another player, each using your decks. The cards are not given to you- it's like a rental team in Pokemon Stadium. Whoever wins gets 1 token.

Because 120 cards allows for you to get very few evolutionary lines, I would suggest that you only get cards from one expansion. So here's an example:

Bobby and Rachel both enter the Random Deck Construction Challenge. Bobby gets the opening Black/White set, and Rachel gets the Emerging Powers set.

Bobby constructs a Water deck using 2-2 Simipour, 3-2 Swanna, and 2 Bouffalant.

Rachel constructs a psychic deck using 3-2 Swoobat and 3-2-1 Gothitelle.

They face off. Bobby wins, and gets 1 token. They close out of the match and neither of them retains their deck.

==============

While this seems to be excessive, it would at least keep some creativity and strategy in the game once you've beaten the trainer challenge.

In addition, it could be simplified to a smaller set of cards provided (90 cards, duplicates each counting as one still) with which you build a 30 card deck (basic energy still provided).

Hi, LIBRARIAN1CHS,

I will be escalating this suggestion to the Dev team and closing this thread. If you have any more suggestions, please create a new thread.

As always, we appreciate the input!

People select this game type. They get one of the Trainer Challenge decks at random, so does the opponent. Counts as a PvP battle for daily login.

Discussion please

This would be very interesting, perhaps Pokemon can include custom decks, not just Trainer Challenge. I'd love to see if this idea gets explored.

Re-opening this thread, as per request of the creator.

This thread is now open for discussion!

EDIT: Threads merged. Please do not create duplicate threads.

I know I have mentioned this in detail in a thread I created, but this is the kind of play that could be achieved using decks constructed completely from the Deck Wizard. Gives variety as you merely get to pick the theme by choosing a card to base the deck around.

• 2 weeks later...

First type- You build a deck with a limited supply of cards provided.

Second type- random trainer challenge deck.

I think that having either one of these would be great additions.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread, think it is a good idea to implement all the official game modes. :) There is something similar called "Solomon Draft", where you receive boosters and have 30 minutes to construct a deck, then you'll go into a tournament. See http://www.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2013/Play_Pokemon_TCG_Rules_and_Formats.pdf under page 18. This is a tournament mode though, but to construct a deck out of new random cards will take up to 30 minutes, and consider waiting for a opponent to construct a deck and then he/she quits because of some offline reasons. Then you've waisted a lot of time constructing a deck you'll never see again.

Archived