Offline mode?

Minor150

Since server capacity is not enough to serve all players during certain periods of the day (hard to log-in and very slow response), I want to request an offline mode where you can either adjust your new deck or battle with NPCs. I am sure that this would benefit a lot of players.

will never happen i recon, too many oportunitys to cheat cards into your deck that you dont own because you will have local data and when you create a deck you can hack cards in then upload the deck to the server,

sure you could put in a crc check or something to verify the same cards are being used, but considering the online mode state of the game at present, Id' imagine this will flat out never happen, because,

a) there should be no need for an offline mode

b)explots

c)extra work for no gain.

TBH i dont have difficulty logging in, ant the client only laggs so-so

could be another problem with your connection?

Hi Minor150,

I will be passing your suggestion along to the development team! For now, I'll leave this thread open for discussion.

As always, we appreciate your input!

will never happen i recon, too many oportunitys to cheat cards into your deck that you dont own because you will have local data and when you create a deck you can hack cards in then upload the deck to the server,

sure you could put in a crc check or something to verify the same cards are being used, but considering the online mode state of the game at present, Id' imagine this will flat out never happen, because,

a) there should be no need for an offline mode

b)explots

c)extra work for no gain.

TBH i dont have difficulty logging in, ant the client only laggs so-so

could be another problem with your connection?

It's great that YOU have no difficulty logging in. I, however, haven't been able to successfully login for a while, so I'm dead in the water. I support this idea.

I understand your point about hacking and modifying local data; however, I am sure that they already have a process of card verification since you can trade a card that you already put in your constructed deck. So, by any means, the system has to at least check that your deck is still usable or not. Furthermore, even if this type of system might not be available, it is not that hard to implement one, I am quite sure of it.

The idea of this is that the only thing you may let players modify on their machine is "deck construction". They can create new decks, edit old decks, and battle with available NPC. All important data such as, cards you own, tokens, and booster credits, are still being kept on the server side. When players connect to the server again, the server then verifies that the newly constructed and edited decks are valid or not.

One benefit of having NPC's decision being made on users' machine is that it decreases a lot of workload from the server side. You can even give your constructed deck for NPC to use and play against it. Today, many games even allow users to write a custom Lua script to improve the decision making of AI. I hope that all of these can be done in the future of Pokemon TCGO.

Moreover, once when the system described above is stable enough, there can even be further improvements such as allowing players to gain token while battling offline!

PS. I have asked many players. A lot of them are facing this "slow response and hard to log-in" problem. It does not happen for an entire day but sometimes it lasts pretty long (6-8 hours, usually around the same period of the day, especially, during Saturday and Sunday).

Archived