The New Front Page: Feedback & Suggestions

AlexManectric

Heya,

There's been a lot of discussion, both positive and negative about the new front page. I briefly wanted to give some more detailed feedback, as well as make a few suggestions.

On the whole, I'm actually very excited by the new front page. It's colourful, slick and interesting - and makes a much nicer change to the boring black Menu bar we currently deal with.

I'm glad to see the information bar is back (previously used in the Flash Version during the loading pages) and it's carrying some well thought out information, and in an ideal location. Some of the things there I personally think are more important than others - such as the information about Forums, Help, Trainer Challenge and Reporting - as I think new players will be taking more information from this bar than older players, so it makes sense to orientate it slightly more towards their needs. Most players will probably be aware of a lot of things such as the card information (eg. the one about Deoxys' Power Connect), so perhaps the frequencies of these could be reduced?

The way the new Menu is filtered - breaking the game down into key areas - is not only fast but functional, and gives a much nicer feel than the menu bar.

The artwork is fantastic as always, and I'm excited to see the Virizion one we'll be treated to with Megalo Cannon! I also think the colour design is much more friendly and enjoyable for a younger audience.

Suggestions:

I do feel a couple of things would make this front page just that little bit better, and hope you take them on board:

1) Include a link to the Forums. The Forums are used by only a fraction of TCG Players and many of them aren't even aware of its existance. The new front page would be an ideal place to have a direct link to the Forums (similar to the 'Submit a Ticket' button under the question mark in the old menu bar) where you're taken straight to the Forum Log In Screen. This would make the forums not only more accessible, but also more prominent for new players to discover.

2) Take the sub-menus further. The best examples of this are for trading and collection. Currently, selecting 'Cards' on the first line of options takes you to a Sub-Menu for 'Cards' which has options of 'Collection', 'Trading' and a few more. When for example you click on Collection, you go straight into another Sub-Menu (no longer on the homepage) where you have to choose between Cards, Packs, Items etc. - so why not make this an extension of the Sub Menus on the home page? (Tell me if I'm not being clear here..) This would also make it faster and easier, for example, to navigate directly from the homepage straight to 'Offers to me' under trading - letting you bypass the Public Offer Page which generates a LOT of lag...

3) Change the frequency of information on the Information Bar. I've pretty much covered this in the above comments, but I think the Information Bar should be slightly more oriented towards helping new players than trying to spread more common knowledge to older players (Most people know how Deoxys works...) My reasoning for this is covered above :)

4) Allow players to scroll through the information bar. Either with arrows or simply by clicking the message (like we used to with the old information bar on the loading screens) it would be nice to be able to speed through the messages at the pace we want to. This might accelerate learning for new players, and help people go back to a very helpful message they might have been halfway through reading.

Thats all for now, great job done by the team who worked on this - you have my compliments :)

Hope the Mods can read over this!

AlexManectric

PS. Do NOT reply to this message saying things like 'Oh it's a waste of time, it doesn't fit blah blah blah.' The team that worked on this is seperate to the team working on bug fixes and improving the existing interface and I don't want to see you wasting moderators time by complaining about this. Also, the new front page is not meant to fit - it is a taster of the new interface for the future.

Thank you.

Hate it! The new menu is confusing and intimidating. The artwork is nice but maybe they could integrate that into the former menu? They need to change it back. The old one was so much easier to navigate. I'm giving up on playing until they fix this.

Hate it! The new menu is confusing and intimidating. The artwork is nice but maybe they could integrate that into the former menu? They need to change it back. The old one was so much easier to navigate. I'm giving up on playing until they fix this.

We've never actually had a Front Page before now. I'm sorry to hear you're so against it however..

If there's time - it would be nice to hear a Moderator's opinions on the feedback I've made, just to start the ball rolling on this discussion :)

I'm looking through feedback today and passing information along for review to the dev team. Personally I'm fond of the new splash screen though feedback is always welcome.

Rustykia, if you don't like the new menu the easiest thing to do is just click single player then quick game, this takes you to the pvp menu and then you can navigate normally through the old menus. I actually do this quite a bit when I'm performing in game checks and trying to get things done quickly.

That being said I'm a fan of tool tips myself as they usually answer some of the more common questions players may have. I'll pass this along for review.

Archived