Vs mode : 4 categories

Ben-the-III

Hi everyone,

I strongly suggest the creation of 4 different level of play for VS mode.

Just like practice, there should novice all the way to expert.

1-Beginner

2-Intermediate

3-Hard

4-Expert

This way we don't have to create a NON-EX rule.

The beginner level would be for player who are still trying to understand the basic and play common decks.

Expert would be for players trying to play on a competitive level.

Everyone wins and I guess it shouldn't be to hard for the dev. team to create.

Personal record could also be interesting. A simple record track to see how many wins and losses a player has.

Exemple : Ben the III --- 100 Battles 64 wins 36 losses 10 forfeits

;)

The thing is, this does nothing about the non-EX request... Because in competitive games, it doesn't matter either way as those players know exactly what they are doing. However on lower tiers, the strength of the card alone is what determines the win more often than not. Which is where the use of EXs is an issue. Meaning: An expert player without EXs has as many chances as his expert opponent with EXs to win because they are both experts. However a beginner without EXs doesn't stand a chance against a beginner with EXs.

I really don't like to play EX cars, but you have to understand that they are just some other cards...if it wasn't EX it would be something else. If you are an expert you have to deal with EX cards. The game is focused on EX, if you don't want to play them, fine, but they can't be removed be cause you feel it's unfair.

If you don't want to play EX, I suggest you add players who feel the same way, but asking for a non EX category is like asking to play ice hockey without a specific kind of stick.

I never play EX, or rarely. I ask my opponent if he's playing EXs and if he does I switch match. You can't blame people who like EX cards, you are never forced to play them.

I not targeting you Chris_P, this is for everyone arguing about EX cards.

I am here to ask for 4 categories because Novice and EXpert is to vague when you have so many players who doesn't have the same amount of experience or the same quality of cards.

Totally agree with this. Was about to make a post asking the same thing.

I started playing the game on Tuesday, and after defeating the Trainer Challenges I wanted to try out some PvP but playing as a Novice with only a slightly modified starter deck I've been coming up against people playing with decks of almost exclusively legendaries and EX cards, which just isnt fair and makes it a pretty c***** game for me to play. I dont have much of a problem with people using EXs, but there needs to be something implemented to make the match set-ups fairer and I think having more choices rather than just Novice and Expert would solve that. There are a lot of players who might not consider themselves experts at the game yet, but are far beyond ever being called novices!

So I'd propose 4 levels too: Begginer, Intermediate, Advanced and Expert. I also like the idea of having a score tracker. What would also be cool is if there was some way of gauging the players level (probably using EXP gained through playing trainer challenges and PvP matches) so that matches are set up between players of similar level to make them a bit more even.

Just my thoughts really. Enjoying the game, but three days in and I'm already being put off playing by PvP.

Why would that be the case Falcom4ever? Surely people would be happier to play at their actual level with people they stand a chance against rather than either being steamrollered by someone far better than them or playing a game where theres no element of challenge at all because their deck so vastly overpowers their opponent's?

Ben the III I was simply pointing out that in my opinion what you suggest will not solve any kind of problem regarding the use of EXs. You say this way there won't need to be a non-EX rule. But that's wrong in essence. What you suggest doesn't even touch the problem. At least not in any way that I can see. Thank you for clarifying you are not targeting me and you made me realize that perhaps I should have clarified the same in the first place instead of jumping on you. What I am trying to do is understand why you think what you suggest resolves any EX related issues, and then if you're right or wrong.

Heya trainers!

Thanks for the suggestions! The team loves to hear ideas from the players. I'll be passing this information along for review!

This will not help, if people are able to vs. in any category that they want to. If someone has ex's and is one of Alex Manetrik's gym leaders, what's stopping them from going on beginner?

Nothing would stop them, but perhaps using incentives to play at a higher level would be good. At the moment you only get a token reward for expert matches; maybe if there were similar rewards for wins at each level (eg: 0 for beginner, 2 for intermediate, 5 for advanced and 10 for expert) it would encourage players to play at the highest level they could manage to win at.

You are right again Chimocho. Having different reward on each level would help to make the game a little more competitive.

I'm not here to argue about Ex cards.

We need to understand that EX are part of the game. In a couple of years EX cards might not be as powerful as now. There might be something stronger than EX. People will tell you how unfair it is to play against these new cards. You need to accept EX cards. You always have the choice to forfeit if you see an opponent placing 3-4 EX on his bench on first turn. But a lot of players like to play EX, just accept it.

It would be a nice adjustment to choose a non-EX rule, but beginners can still get destroyed by a Garchomp deck in less than 3 turns.

I hope you understand that EX cards can't remove, but having more than Novice and Expert to choose from will help players compete against some more evenly matched opponents.

But then why did you say that your suggestion is a fix for the issues people are with the EXs? And again, it is not a matter of weak players vs strong ones. It is a matter of weak players with strong cards against weak players with no strong cards. That's when it's a mess. Otherwise both additional difficulty levels and different rewards to keep people in the difficulty level they are capable of managing are great ideas/solutions/whatever you like. And it will help but it's such a small part of the issue that I don't see how one would say that the issue would be no more after applying these solutions.

I strongly suggest the creation of 4 different level of play for VS mode.

Just like practice, there should novice all the way to expert.

1-Beginner

2-Intermediate

3-Hard

4-Expert

This way we don't have to create a NON-EX rule.

The beginner level would be for player who are still trying to understand the basic and play common decks.

Expert would be for players trying to play on a competitive level.

You are right Chris_P. I was wrong saying that it will fix the EX problem. Then again, I said it numerous time, there is no problem with EX cards. You can't blocked people from using them. I can still crush someone in Novice without using EX. You have to understand that the problem is strong players beating novices and begginers.

Think about it. You can't go from being a novice to expert without gaining experience in between. You go trough other levels of difficulty before playing against very good players. Right now there is no in-between. You either play against crazy powerful opponents or begginers with weak decks.

If Novice has no rewards, full of unexperienced players + showing stats of players we can imagine that a New player with his basic Yellow deck encounters a player with a 1000 victories who plays EX cards will easily get flushed by a begginer who doesn't want to face that player who's obviously not in the right place.

I hope you understand.

I totally understand and I totally agree that this is the issue with matches between players of uneven levels of skill. I was not trying to say you are wrong anyway! :)

Hhahahah I know, you are a good person Chris. You are also trying to find ways to make the game better and I respect that.

Chris_P, you can't help what cards newer and older players get in packs, they're random cards. Some people have good luck and some have bad luck. (Buy as many packs as you can when trainer tokens become usable for packs! That way there's a higher chance of you getting ex's because you'll get a lot of cards!)

Thank you FootBallPlayer. I am not sure, I think I will be purchasing theme decks with my tokens, I don't fancy the random factor of booster packs in general! I am not very keen on using EX Pokemon myself either! But the important thing is that when Trainer Tokens become redeemable there will be a different, more exciting pace to the game!

I like the idea of 4 levels. I also like the idea of a non-EX league. Can't they set a non-EX league up like they have for Modified and Unlimited, as well as the 4 levels of play???

I don't think EXs are the problem, they are a symptom of the problem of players being mis-matched for competition. The mis-match might be skill, or skill and deck strength, but it is still a mis-match.

In real Pokemon TCG league (at least in mine), a new player with a theme deck will generally be taken under the wing of more experienced players who will either use theme decks themselves for battle or help the new player pair up with others with similar skill and deck strength. They guy who runs our league brings a box full of different decks that he'll let new players try out - both competitive and fun decks. Most player have a couple of decks they're 'working on' for tournaments or just for fun and we'll talk about what type of match it will be beforehand. It's a healthy atmosphere.

This is what is missing on PTCGO. Here a new player is thrown into random pairings without any benefit of mentorship or conversation. There is no way of saying "hey, I'm new here and I want to battle. I've got a slightly modified theme deck someone want to have a match? please no super-powerful decks please"

Actually, for some PTCGO players there is literally no way to say anything. My son, a competitive Junior who just missed top-cut in Nationals last week, isn't allowed to have any conversation with any PTCGO players due force restrictions on his account due to his age that even I can't override (but that's another issue, although it contributes to a whole lack of personal connection in PvP)

Multiple levels with clear guidance on what level one should join would help - especially a "Fun / Beginner" area that is clearly meant for new players or lower power decks - but I think the overall problem/solution needs to be bigger than this. Perhaps a rating system similar to TCG that can be used to pair players better. I'd really love to see the ability to "borrow" a deck from another player so that an aspiring competitor can try out eels, Darkrai/Absol, PlasmaKlang, GothGor or similar. It has to be really disheartening to just jump in with a non-competitive deck, get slammed by TDK knowing it will take forever to get a deck that good.

PTCGO developers and product folks: you have some really smart and talented people on your staff - the product clearly demonstrates this. Think hard about this problem, it is real and its causing many of the next generation of potential players to get frustrated and give up. My son hates PTCGO and he is your absolute target market.

This is what is missing on PTCGO. Here a new player is thrown into random pairings without any benefit of mentorship or conversation. There is no way of saying "hey, I'm new here and I want to battle. I've got a slightly modified theme deck someone want to have a match? please no super-powerful decks please"

This is the key here. It is sad that the only way to do that is through friend battles (that I understand are not even available in children's accounts?) when you gain no rewards from battling a friend. Come to think about it, if friend battles awarded you with at least the daily challenge reward things would already be a lot nicer. Perhaps not actually better, but nicer non the less.

This is the key here. It is sad that the only way to do that is through friend battles (that I understand are not even available in children's accounts?)

No chat/communication at all is allowed for Children's accounts, even with their friends or linked parent account. What is even odder is that those trying to chat with a child account get no sign whatsoever that the account can't respond to your messages. I'm sure several people think my son is the rudest player since he doesn't answer any of the in game chat or even the polite "gg".

Archived