Idea of feature to address excess of same cards

vpalmer83

first of all, sorry if that idea already was on he forum.

i have suggestion for dev team to make one little, but important and useful "easy-to-implement" (in comparison to avatar creation or Trainer Challenge) feature to adress situation with more than 4 copies of same card.

if i understand right - devs want to make all cards from boosters recieved without real money payment (via day rewards system, token payment, Trainer Challenge playing) not tradable. obviously this after very short period of time you have >4 of same card.

player who buy tradeble cards with money will have >4 of some cards too and nobody want to trade them, because who need, for example, some common pikachu card - everyone already have endless quantity of it (actually after my first week in PTCGO i have 8 identical pikachu cards).

so i dont pretend what i suggest some "new revolutionary" feature - same already is implemented in Might&Magic duel of champions, and will be implemented in near coming Blizzard's Heartstone. this feature allow to player "burn" some excess of same cards in exchange of little ammount of in-game curency. amount of returns can be not so big - may be, with gradation for type of burned card (more rare - little more curency in returns). may be burning of one average booster would give 25% of tokens ammount needed to buy new booster. - this numbers are only for example.

such game feature can address another one problem for players - disappointment after finding in opened booster cards you already have/dont need. with this card burning feature (may be can call it "flamethrower" or "destructive flame" for flavor feeling) player, even after he'll open absolutely useless for him booster, still feel what it made little step in progress for his collection, because he knows what he can burn excess of his cards in exchenge for another chance of getting new ones.

another advantage of this feature: because of burning cards they become more valuable. and this is good stimulus for trading between players and to buying new boosters, because as much part of excess cards will be burned and trading price will be little higher, then it will be more attracting to buy booster for chance to get card what you need and another new cool cards. in other words, this kind of feature resolve problems of overfeeding in-game market in games of tcg and mmorpg genre.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.

Because seriously, what am I supposed to do with 49 Cacnea ??

Apart from that guy that wanted to collect all the Bidoof.... there is litterally nowt i can do.

[LINK REMOVED]

This makes sense, and with tokens soon to be used for the purchase of additional cards, this would be an excellent way to get rid of all of those excess un-tradeable cards. Not sure though on the limitations, would you limit it to the locked cards or not? As the others can be traded away.

Anyway, this idea makes perfect sense, and i'm surprised I never saw it on the forums any earlier.

Getting rid of untradeable cards would have to be okay, since "burning" a card gives you tokens that purchase more untradeable cards.

1 Token for an energy

5 Tokens for a common

10 for an uncommon

20 for a rare

50 for anything awesome

maybe?

Hello trainers!

I'm going to escalate this to the development team for review. I'll be leaving this thread open for discussion in the meantime.

As always, we thank you for your suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been giving this idea some more thought,

This idea will bring back a use for obsolete cards in our collections, such as my 15 un-tradeable "Potions" and 9 "Cilans". I have noticed that every time a new deck is purchased you get "X" untradeable cards, same when you acquire a freebie deck ingame, and even more from the once a week freebie boosters and trainer challenge boosters. Whilst there is a reason for these cards to be un-tradable, keeping them in their current state is a waste of space in many players collections, where the only purpose they serve is "What is the most of the same card you own?" record.

This idea, exchanging these waste cards for tokens, in order to acquire newer cards/boosters is a great idea. However, there will need to be a form of protection introduced for the theme/starter decks. One suggestion is maybe allow players to discard these cards [ones found in these decks], removing them permanently from their collection, but physically preserving the theme decks.

To explain the mechanics of what i'm talking about;

> When you receive a deck with locked cards [E.g. a Freebie deck], add the cards contained in the deck as per normal, however, the deck is stored on the account independent of what is in the collection.

> This way, if a card that is part of the freebie deck is removed from the collection, the freebie deck will still be accessible for playing with, but cannot be cloned and then modified due to the lack of cards in the current collection.

Anyway, thats my idea, and if I dare go any further on it I may have to start a new thread for it. Additional thoughts anyone?

• 2 months later...

Intresting concept.

We do indeed only need 4 untradable copies of each card.

Although the cards of a theme decks should not be edited or the deck would break.

With unlimitedly redeemable items like Power Relay Deck, this idea may create some issues.

Great idea. Here are some options I came up with:

1. Trade extra copies of cards for entry into tournaments...

2. Trade extra copies of cards for coins.

3. Trade extra copies of cards for gems.

4. Trade extra copies of cards for other items in the shop, i.e., sleeves, deck boxes, avatar items, etc...

5. Trade extra copies of cards for older cards from early Pokemon sets.

6. Trade extra copies of cards for current cards in the Modified sets.

Intresting concept.

We do indeed only need 4 untradable copies of each card.

Although the cards of a theme decks should not be edited or the deck would break.

With unlimitedly redeemable items like Power Relay Deck, this idea may create some issues.

when I was looking through this forum I thought the exact same and no said it I was surprised but yes but maybe we can say that all cards from power relay are banned from this thing and the person who has loads of cacnea I would take them

Great idea. Here are some options I came up with:

1. Trade extra copies of cards for entry into tournaments...

2. Trade extra copies of cards for coins.

3. Trade extra copies of cards for gems.

4. Trade extra copies of cards for other items in the shop, i.e., sleeves, deck boxes, avatar items, etc...

5. Trade extra copies of cards for older cards from early Pokemon sets.

6. Trade extra copies of cards for current cards in the Modified sets.

I did not see this because I am so dumb I cant see their is another rpage and if we are gonna trade them in for coins then why would we trade them for coins. UPDATE: I forgot that u have to maybe burn a certain amount of cards for gems and less cards for coins sorry

I did not see this because I am so dumb I cant see their is another rpage and if we are gonna ***** them in for coins then why would we trade them for coins

i believe 1 of those coins are meant to be gems

oops I got them confuse with tokens did the other guy get confused or was talking about coins I am used to that now because when I used (I still do collect coins) collect coins people always got the wrong type

As someone who has 60 Timburr, I would love this feature. Even if I'm only getting a few coins from "burning" a ton of cards, that's better than them just sitting there in excess doing nothing.

I'd be concerned that a "burning" feature may make it more difficult for newer players to obtain the required common and uncommon Pokémon they need to build their decks. It can be a little difficult as it is to obtain some of those cards, not because of any actual current rarity, but simply because many traders tend to only be interested in the rarer cards. A burning mechanic would basically insure that all the big traders would simply burn those cards when they open them in packs, rather than leaving them up for trade to newer players.

Archived