Sign in to follow this  
AlexManectric

Community Update

pokewat
Also I will freely give all code cards i obtain to those who do not have cards to trade because they are all locked. No one else in the group will have to do this. So if your one of those beginners that just cant seem to get the cards you want. get a hold of me on TCGO and i will gladly lend you the cards.:)

That is extremely generous of you. I have joined the game 3 weeks ago and lack cards. Most of my overseas friends have over 2000 cards and whatnot, i still have only 400 dif cards and am being crushed by EX and Plasma decks. I would like some!!

sdrawkcab190

Im just posting to be able to find this thread more easily in the future. =)

PrinceofNovice

I'm glad to see there are trainers ready to join. when I am able to access the game again i will look for your game name. Thank you and i can't wait to chat with you all.:D

AlexManectric
The unfair trading in the game is definitely my least favorite quality of TCGO. That is why I am putting together a trading group. This group will be based on trust. All trainers who join this group will share there collection with other group members. if a group member is looking to battle with a powerful deck because they just started and want to play on expert for fun, then the group pulls together to lend them the cards they need. That's where the trust comes in. When you done you have to give the cards back when they are needed by the original owner.

PrinceofNovice, that is certainly a very generous idea, and credit to you for being so kind.

However, although the rules of the game do not prohibit the loaning of cards (I think) I am almost certain moderators will not come to your aid if anything goes wrong. I love the concept, but the number of scammers, cheaters and selfish players within the game make me think you're going to lose out more times than you will help people. It is a sad reflection on the state of the community right now - but one I feel it is worth mentioning to you. I would certainly not trust strange players with my cards (so this group would take many months to establish - and even then, it's not foolproof) and I wholeheartedly advise you to consider the matter carefully :)

pokewat

Scammers??? Cheaters and selfish players are many, i understand. But i dont think any of them are on the forums. Only a small fraction of people are on the forums. I am cuz i am a forum-type-of-guy. Anyway, my 72 hours are almost up. Time to be un-muted :)

PrinceofNovice

Thank you ALEXMANECTRIC for your most gracious concern. however i am well aware of those who will take advantage of my generosity already. But i feel that those who i do help and in return honer my trust with not stealing the cards i lend them is well worth it. I understand that most who join will not want to lend cards to others and that is not a problem. I just hope to meet new people and help beginners so they can enjoy the game just like the experts. Once again ALEXMANECTRIC thank you for your reply and i hope to meet you in game and become friends.

AlexManectric
Thank you ALEXMANECTRIC for your most gracious concern. however i am well aware of those who will take advantage of my generosity already. But i feel that those who i do help and in return honer my trust with not stealing the cards i lend them is well worth it. I understand that most who join will not want to lend cards to others and that is not a problem. I just hope to meet new people and help beginners so they can enjoy the game just like the experts. Once again ALEXMANECTRIC thank you for your reply and i hope to meet you in game and become friends.

I look forward to it.

The update will be up around 3PM GMT.

Mod_Poplar
The unfair trading in the game is definitely my least favorite quality of TCGO. That is why I am putting together a trading group. This group will be based on trust. All trainers who join this group will share there collection with other group members. if a group member is looking to battle with a powerful deck because they just started and want to play on expert for fun, then the group pulls together to lend them the cards they need. That's where the trust comes in. When you done you have to give the cards back when they are needed by the original owner.

Hello PrinceofNovice,

Unfortunately, lending cards is not permitted for several reasons. First, it would undoubtedly lead to some shady activity, including scamming. It would also impede our ability to investigate bugs and other issues associated with these cards and the trades involving them. Please refrain from lending out cards in the future.

Don't let this discourage you from finding other ways to help out new users, however! If you have any other questions regarding what is and isn't allowed, please create a new thread or send in a ticket.

AlexManectric

Latest Community Update - 28/06/2013

Community Update - 28/06/2013

Introduction

I decided to re-write my Community Update this week completely from scratch at the last minute in light of recent events, so apologies for the delay.

Honesty, I believe, is always the key – and I promise to be as open as possible about the topics I plan to go over today. I have decided to write comments about this week’s update separately at the end, and will break down my thoughts on everything that the changes have brought.

PvP

Rage Quitting seems to be as frequent as ever amongst PvP Random Matchup Battles. This week 72% of my battles ended with the opponent leaving before the end, and 4 of the times this was enough to prevent me from getting my daily Battle Token Bonus. Whilst this is frustrating, I’ve finally accepted that this is just a normal part of any online multiplayer game (though TCG seems to be notoriously bad for it right now). It would be unfair to criticise the developers for this – as any course of action has obvious negative points, but instead turn to question the morals of the TCGO Community. Sadly it seems we’re reaching a majority of immature players and it’s starting to take its toll on the rest of the Community who are just out for a good game. It would be great if this issue could be addressed quickly, but I fear we will never truly be able to stop people conceding games and ruining the experience for others.

One major issue with the release of Plasma Freeze is the exponentially rising popularity of Plasma Decks: namely Thundurus/Deoxys/Kyurem(/Lugia). A whopping 85% of my games this week were against this deck in Expert/Modified with the remaining 15% largely being against the Mew/Gothitelle/Accelgor deck. Sadly this makes games much less surprising, and providing you have a reasonable counter-deck, much less enjoyable to play. Perhaps the introduction of Tropical Beach might promote a few more rogue decks, but with such a large number of EXs now able to OHKO a lot of Basics, it sadly doesn’t look like the prominent decks in PvP are going to be changing any time soon…

Trading

Surprise surprise, we find very little has changed in terms of Trading. My highlight trade of the week goes to the player who offered a whopping 5 Plasma Freeze packs for 4 Secret Rare Gold Catchers. Yes, it seems Public Trades are notoriously bad and remaining that way for the foreseeable future.

Private Trading seems to be just as difficult nowadays, with many people becoming overly-aggressive over the value of their cards. It seems everyone refuses to give away their cards for anything less than they are worth in their minds, but with a surprising number of people clinging dearly onto their cards, it makes it more and more difficult for people to find what they need to finish their decks…

Plasma Freeze cards are steadily dropping in value, as to be expected as more and more of them enter collections. It is likely we’ll see them settling down over the next fortnight or so, as the market begins to saturate with Plasma Freeze cards.

Lobbies

The Lobby Spammers (you know who you are) are at it better than ever, with plenty of people copy and pasting ‘Trade with me because I have everything’ messages in all 4 Lobbies simultaneously just to compete with another person who’s posted an almost identical message. Fantastic. It’s resulted in a deteriorating quality of conversations in the Lobbies, so perhaps it’s time groups organise to meet in the separate chat rooms just so their messages aren’t replaced instantaneously with ‘mass-traders’ (as I shall now refer to them as) trying to attract more attention.

I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever be able to elect regular players to help with monitoring of Lobbies. Honestly I don’t ever see the TCGO staff being able to deal 24/7 with the number of non-child-friendly messages, abuse and verbal attacks we see in the lobbies, not to mention spammers and scammers, as the TCGO staff have important things to do elsewhere. This is not a criticism of the TCGO staff, don’t get me wrong. They do a fantastic job wherever and whenever they can - but I’m more concerned about the policing resources the community currently has, and whether they’re simply inadequate to protect many younger users from some of the comments I’ve had to witness this week.

Forums

First and foremost I would like to apologise for becoming overly-defensive over a message posted by a player who returned to TCGO after some time. I guess we all get a bit passionate about things we work very hard on and sometimes it’s difficult to keep that passion back. I should say very clearly that I am all for more tournaments in the forums, and that my concern was purely to do with the lack of research done by the player before posting. I assure all reading this that the two of us have spoken at length and are on good terms.

One of the reasons I drew my earlier conclusion about the lack of time of the Moderating team here in TCGO was the result of a reply made by our own Community Manager following a request I placed asking for a quick bit of help in my thread, the Trading Card League. In the past, I’ve had absolutely no issues with Moderators helping me out a bit with requests identical to the one I’ve posted, but it seems now that the Moderating team simply have better things to do. Whilst I am fully understanding of this, and accept that there are genuinely more important things for the team to do than delete a few messages, I am saddened that the TCGO staff are so strained that they cannot take a few minutes out of their schedule to help someone with a slightly less important request once in a while… Please call me out here if you think I’m being harsh in suggesting this (and really do feel free to tell me below if you think I am), but personally I was a bit surprised by the blunt comments made in response to my request. Being active on several other forums (and a moderator myself) has highlighted to me the importance of a helpful and responsive moderating force, and whilst I know the TCGO staff do have a lot on their plate, sometimes little things can make a big difference to the atmosphere for some players.

TCGO Client Updates: 27/06

It’s always unfair to expect things from the update – so I will not complain about the still-lack of Non-EX modes in PvP, but instead compliment the development team on getting Avatar Creator up and running again (I’ve almost managed to rebuild mine, except there’s no longer an option to change face shapes) with no apparent bugs or glitches. As well as this, the new home screen certainly was a surprise, and makes navigating about the site a little more easy if you’re new to the game.

Sigh, I really didn’t want to have to talk so negatively about the state of the game (ever) because I really do feel strongly about this game and want it to do well, but following the most recent update I’m simply staggered by how many steps back the Client has taken… The number of bugs, dramatic increase in lag and difficulties with various tasks that were previously straightforward has infuriated me to the point where I’m simply unable to play the game again until some improvements are made.

By far and away however, the worst update is the return of the Disconnection Timer. For those who aren’t aware what this is, play a PvP Random Matchup, and 72% of the time your opponent will disconnect, triggering this effect. If your opponent closes the client down (to end the game before they lose) then a message will come up on the screen of the player left in the game, telling them that they will be awarded the win if they wait 5 minutes. Not only is this a complete waste of any player’s time to sit there inactive for nothing they have done wrong, the game does not allow you to do or click anything (including conceding the game yourself). This means that the player who has done nothing wrong ends up being punished and suffers five minutes of complete boredom. My real problem with this however, is that it shows a direct contradiction to the TORRENT of threads complaining about Rage Quitters. It shows the developers have not been listening to our suggestions and complaints on the matter – and instead have implemented a feature to make the matter even worse. I was very disappointed when I saw this feature back in TCGO, and I honestly want to see it gone as quickly as possible. At the very least, it might give some players confidence that their ideas are being heard…

Themes for this week? Well, having just re-written my article in light of the recent updates I think the tone this week is one of disappointment. Disappointment that the updates have taken the game backwards in certain areas, disappointment that the moderating team is so strained and disappointment that the Community still refuses to show a sporting attitude, both in Battles and in Trading. Once again, I look to you, the reader, to do your bit and spread the message in the home that we can turn this around and start working towards a brighter future for TCGO again.

AlexManectric

Edited by AlexManectric

AlexManectric

This week's update is now posted both above and on Page 1. Again, apologies for the delay. If you disagree on any comments made in the article, please post below. As ever, I wanted to be completely honest about my feelings, so if I have not explained myself clearly enough due to some of the passion I'm trying to express, please let me know as well.

Mod_Jube
Sadly it seems we’re reaching a majority of immature players and it’s starting to take its toll on the rest of the Community who are just out for a good game.

As Alice Cooper would say "school's out for summer".

pkmnkingnik

Nice Update! I look forward to more in the future.

AlexManectric
As Alice Cooper would say "school's out for summer".

Thank you for reading through this Prof_Jube. That certainly lifts my spirits slightly that Profs are keen and able to take the time to read through these articles. I hope there are things in that report that were of interest to you and the rest of the team.

Sadly the vast majority of schools in the UK, US and Europe (with a few exceptions such as France) are still around 3 weeks away from breaking up for the summer, so I'm not really sure that would be justification for this increasing trade in rage quitting. You have however, alerted me to the fact that the state of Rage Quitters as they exist at the moment might not be the worst TCGO is going to experience during 2013..

Edited by AlexManectric

pokewat

I do not know who to tell this to, but the chat and the lag are somehow related. When i was muted, there was no lag, but after being unmuted, there was a lot of lag, sadly. Also, 24 out of 39 games i played in the last 3 days had people rage-quitting (I kept notes after the first three). One guy even waited for a few moments when i knocked out his Mew2 EX for about a minute hoping i would quit and let him win then himself quit so that i could not draw the prizes. The disconnector, is a HUGE step backwards. I think it should be removed quickly for Random matches at the very least. Also, Alex, do not feel ashamed about being offended. We all sometimes over-reach but it is because we love the game and want people to benefit and enjoy from it as much as possible. A very concise and thought provoking update. Keep up the good work!!

PrinceofNovice

It saddens me to know my "FREE" trade ideal will not work... But i won't get discuraged. i will keep trying to find new ways to make the game funner and a little bit easier for new players. I do hope i can still give free codes to those in need of cards to trade. Thank you for letting me know PROF_JUBE.:)

AlexManectric

I'm hoping for more comments regarding my reports, rather than what is and isn't allowed :)

BoysArbokintown

I'm surprised that you left out the fix to the deck size bug, I'm happy to see that annoying bug squashed. I'm also really glad to see the CPU using different type decks again, we(the ones that are tired of playing PvP) aren't stuck fighting the same Bouffalant/Braviary/Wigglytuff deck over and over again.

AlexManectric
I'm surprised that you left out the fix to the deck size bug, I'm happy to see that annoying bug squashed. I'm also really glad to see the CPU using different type decks again, we(the ones that are tired of playing PvP) aren't stuck fighting the same Bouffalant/Braviary/Wigglytuff deck over and over again.

I'll be honest, I didn't look into AI PvP because I had certain things to sort out after the maintenance, couldn't get them done so just closed down the game. It's a shame, because I'm sure there are things worthy of compliment after this update, but they simply get drowned out in all the avalanche of bugs we're picking up..

EDIT: I see your name is still censored, you should really get that looked in to.

funny i dont see many thundurus/kyurem/deoxy. I mainly see Plasmaklang/Cobalion EX. 80% of my matches i've played been against that deck. 15% mew/accelgor and 5% darkrai. I've been fighting against the same 3 decks this whole week.

pokewat

I see only thundurus/kyurem/deoxys and darkrai/absol/umbreon. I have played 69 games in the past 3 days but have yet to see a mew/accelgor.

A bit of an interlude:

I played a game with a guy and he rage quit when i poisoned his EX and he had no cards. And in the next match i had another player ragequit when i glaciate-d most of his exs in the lower hunderds. Also, i was rematched with the first guy and i asked him "Why did you quit?"

He said "You were gonna win. I had no energies." I told him "This time i have no energies but its the luck of the draw. You dont give up. You find a way around it. How would you feel if i quit now?" He said "Dude, i am a pro and do not care about you." I lost to him. He had 5 EX's in play and i had a Kyurem and a Foongus :(, but this just shows the low mentality of the quitters.

Edited by pokewat
I am stupid.

AlexManectric

The next update will be on the 7th July. Don't forget to read the first two updates which are now on Page 1 :)

Edited by AlexManectric

AlexManectric

I would like to invite you all to read the latest TCGO Community Update :)

AlexManectric

Latest Community Update

Community Update #3- 10/07/2013

Introduction

For the Community, I feel like this has been a much improved week. Though PvP is still suffering from the dreaded Rage Quitters, I feel like the community is finally starting to fight back – most effectively via the forums. Tropical Beach was released into the game over the past week, and I’ll be touching on that in this week’s Trading review as well.

After a series of fixes at the beginning of last week, I truly believe the state of the game has much improved since before the BIG June update made on the 27th. I have not experienced a single heap error, and now, without the lag and frustrations with chat I’m beginning to notice all the subtle changes that have been made throughout the client, and I’m very much enjoying playing the game again. I’ll go through this in more detail in the ‘Game Updates’ section below.

PvP

After Mew/Gothitelle/Accelgor won TCG nationals earlier this week, it’s definitely not surprising to see this deck appearing more frequently in PvP. I’ve seen some very interesting variants too – such as the inclusion of Dusknoir, which can make this deck a very formidable opponent when set up. Tropical Beach being added to the mix has really helped this deck shine amidst the various EX-Based decks, which tend to have very little counter once Gothitelle is up and active – though Virbank Gym is still performing very well in this deck as well. The best counter to this deck I have seen so far is Big Basics which has teched in Ninetales from Dragon’s Exhaulted. Give this one a try if you’re struggling to overcome Gothitelle – as Ninetales’ ability might be just give you the break you’re looking for!

Another interesting deck I’ve seen this week is Speed Tornadus. Plasma Freeze Tornadus is capable of doing 180 Damage from the very first turn (though I’ve only seen this pulled off once) and can very easily ramp up damage when coupled with Thundurus and Deoxys EX. I think this is finally a sign that people are starting to move away from the Meta to experiment with more fun and risky decks, and I’m certainly excited to see what surprises this may throw up. Sadly I don’t think we’re quite past this stage yet, as I’m still facing a lot of TDK, but I’m finally starting to see more variety – and I have good faith that the community will bring more and more of it over the coming weeks before Plasma Blast.

Trading

I think I have to start with Tropical Beach this week, as it has dominated many Forum Threads and pulled off some of the most controversial Public Offers I have ever seen. I have been speculating for a while about the number of Beach codes that would actually find their way online, and it seems that so far we’ve only seen a reasonably small percentage of the total number of codes released, resulting in a correspondingly high price to deal with the high demand. All fairly logical so far. Hopefully prices will drop steadily as more codes trickle in, but I fear that unless we’re able to redeem our tokens for beaches, this demand will never come close to being satisfied… (Are you spotting the hint there Developers?) However, it is extremely positive to see the card in the game after so many requests for it – and credit to the TCGO staff for working out a clever way to introduce it!

I think my only criticism of the introduction of Tropical Beach is the types of players that have received codes. These come in two types: Big Budget Traders (let’s call them ‘Profit Traders’ from now on – you know who I’m on about – people who spam Public Trades and the Lobbies buying and selling stuff) who have been stocking up on beaches to sell off to make a HUGE amount of profit, or players who have never played TCGO before, who sadly tend to be selling their beaches to the Profit Traders. I really hope this doesn’t result in exponentially higher prices for Tropical Beaches, though with current trends, once the number of new codes being entered dries up, this is likely to happen. It is definitely a fear for me as an active trader AND battler that multiple Tropical Beaches might get locked up in accounts of players holding on to them to wait for big profits, rather than being spread around…

Plasma Freeze Packs have finally saturated the market, to the point where they are now comfortably traded 1 for 1 with other packs. I am fascinated to see whether the value of older booster packs, especially those with valuable cards such as Boundaries Crossed and Dark Explorers, will rise over the coming months as codes become more scare as fewer players will buy these boosters in real life. We could very realistically enter a situation where players only buy Plasma Boosters (PS, PF and PB) and the community supply of BC, DEX and DRX starts to dry up, causing them to go up in price. However, this is merely a stray thought for the future – and right now the headline news is the declined value of Plasma Freeze relative to other sets.

My Public Trade of the week this week goes to the people who offer 20-30 cards for a single booster pack. At first, I merely regarded these as a way for people to get rid of commons, but then I noticed that these offers include all the Pokemon required for a single deck – sometimes 2 or 3 evolutions lines, which is a real bargain! I’ve actually accepted three of these this week – one Eeveelution set, one Plasma Beartic Holo set and one Charizard set which I have to say is an incredible bargain and a great way to get rid of your unused cards for some useful Booster Packs. If you’re sitting on a lot of cards you’re not using, why not give this a go yourself and help liberate the card stocks a bit more!

Lobbies

I feel this is the only section this week where I feel I have to say something slightly critical. With many schools around the world breaking up for summer, a Tidal Wave of brand new TCGO players have arrived and whilst this is fantastic for the future of the game, the newer players tend to deteriorate the quality of conversations in the lobbies. This is not something we generally can blame them for – but just a reality of any form of online chat lobby. Whilst most of this is harmless repetition of novice questions, I am noticing more and more instances of players sharing inappropriate comments and thoughts with each other in Public Chat, and I find myself reaching for the report button a little too much… I’m sure the moderating staff will be expanded in due course to deal with this – but for now I urge you not to let this slide, and to help to your bit to make the game safe and friendly by reporting players who do not abide by the rules. In response to the increasing number of novice questions, I hope that developers will pick up on suggestions to improve access to Forum-Based guides to increase the number of people reading them as this should help to reduce the number of blind new players :)

Forums

For me, this has been the biggest community success of recent days. For a long time, I have been urging players not to waste time complaining about things they don’t like in TCGO, and instead do something pro-active to deal with the situation as it is. Finally, I feel like my message has got through – and not only do we now have a Non-EX Group based in the Forums, we also have new styles of Tournaments and clubs for people to join to suit every individual’s taste – something it would take the development teams years to do. Congratulations not only to those who spend a lot of time and effort starting and maintaining these groups, but also to every individual who has signed up, for you are all helping to improve the experience for players around you, and this is a fantastic mark on the community’s maturity. It should not be under-valued – you are making a very positive impact in the community. Well done you!

On a personal note: I’ve hit some big landmarks in the Forums and just wanted to mention them here. My Trading Card League Tournament, now the biggest tournament in TCGO History, reached 2,500 posts and passed 400 challengers – which is yet another milestone the amazingly dedicated team have breezed by with very little recognition. I just wanted to thank them and Gym Leaders of the past for their incredible and relentless contributions, which makes the experience so much better for every player who stumbles across the League.

My other achievement was being awarded sticky status for my two Forum Guides. I’m pleased to see that they are climbing in views, and I hope making the rules more apparent for players both new and old. It’s nice to have signposts to help newer players, and I’m definitely noticing some reductions in the number of pointless, incorrectly located or rule-breaching threads over the past few days – a small percentage I hope was due to my threads. I’m thrilled to see the Forums beginning to clear up and the ratio of higher quality material increase :)

Game Updates

After the tone of my last article, I am genuinely delighted to be able to speak so positively about the game. A complete turnaround in the space of just 12 days. Now that I’m not focussing on lag or annoying changes I’m spotting more and more benefits the new updates have brought, and I’d like to cover a few of them now.

Firstly, the game has seen a significant reduction in lag. I am now able to easily send 50 trades (which I’ve had to do just to keep up with requests due to the 6 item limit!) without a delay in the responsiveness of the game, and I’ve not had a single heap error since. This makes the game much more enjoyable to play, and the interface less frustrating.

I’d like to compliment the developers working on the new page. I actually posted an extensive feedback and suggestion article on this, but will include a few quotes here just to give you a feel for it. “On the whole, I'm actually very excited by the new front page. It's colourful, slick and interesting” and personally I think much more enjoyable than the black menu bar. I’m also pleased with the functionality of the menu, how slick the interface is and the return of the information bar (previously used in the Flash Version of the game during the loading pages). It gives me confidence that when this style is extended to other areas of the client we’re going to see very positive results.

Now that I’m now longer blinded, I’ve noticed several other smaller touches that make the game just that little bit better – the removal of Theme Decks from PvP Random Matchup being the one I’ve noticed the most. The developers have cleaned up little things in the game that might not even be noticed by a lot of players, but that are definitely making a difference.

This clearly shows the client is moving in the right direction overall, even if it takes two or three steps to get there. I think it’s important to still voice complaints when updates are not satisfactory (at the very least so it keeps the developers aware of what is highest priority) but from now on I think I will be able to sit through the monthly big game update maintenance periods confident that eventually the client will see dramatic improvements – even if they’re not immediate. Thank you to the development team for making such dramatic improvements in such a short amount of time.

This week, I’m happy to conclude on positives. There’s a lot to take away from this week’s update that we can be proud of as a community and I hope you are just as excited as I am for the future of the game. It’s strange what a difference just a week and a half has made, so let’s hope that we can do just as much good between now and the next update! Once again, well done you for making the TCGO environment that much nicer – whether you’ve been developing the game, joining or starting Forum groups or just giving a wild deck a go in PvP. You’re making the game a more enjoyable experience so please don’t stop!

AlexManectric

ImMrFlubaDub

A well written update again Alex :) What other rogue decks have people seen in the current meta? My speed tornadus is running a lot of fun games - though thats one that Alex wrote about - anyone else have any other 'fun' deck ideas they wanna share? What do you guys think the solution would be for rage quitters?

AlexManectric

This thread isn't receiving as many views as I would have hoped in this part of the Forums. Am I allowed to Double-Post this thread and have it active both here and in the General Discussion section?

Sign in to follow this