Pokemon TCG Tie?!

MarcusTheBrave

Sorry, this isn't too topical.

Question: Is it possible to tie a Pokemon game? I played a game today (in real life) and it came down to one coin toss. Rather than have the game be decided on the flip of a coin, I played a Lt. Surge's Treaty (which allows both players to take a prize card if your opponent agrees).

Is what I had today an actual, real tie or is there some rule that prevents it? (Not really important, just a curiosity.)

There are ties. When that happens, a Sudden Death occurs... Aaaannnddd... I THIIIINK that involves one prize card on each side. Or three. Or something. With all 60 of your cards back in your deck like a new game.

I hadn't thought of it before... That is a good question! Congrats! So, we start again with 1 prize card? But how can a game add up to a draw?

I hadn't thought of it before... That is a good question! Congrats! So, we start again with 1 prize card? But how can a game add up to a draw?

...The way described in the first post. Also moves that can cause recoil damage...

Anything that results in both player's last prize card being drawn or last Pokémon on each side being knocked out.

HOWEVER, there are THREE ways to win.

Whichever player completed the more number of objectives win.

Victory Condition 1: Drawing the Last Prize Card.

Victory Condition 2: Knocking out your opponent's last Pokémon.

Victory Condition 3: Opponent is unable to draw a card at the start of their turn. (Cannot be applied to this situation)

Victory Condition 4: The card effect of Lost World (Cannot be applied to this situation--I know I only said three)

If your opponent fulfills two conditions and you only fulfill one, the opponent wins.

However, since the use of Lt. Surge's Treaty only clears the 1st condition for both players, the game goes into Sudden Death.

-------------------------------

From the Pokémon TCG Black & White Rulebook:

-------------------------------

What if Both Players Win at the Same Time?

You win if you take your last Prize card or if your opponent has no Benched Pokémon to replace his or her Active Pokémon if it is Knocked Out (or otherwise removed from play). This makes it possible for both players to win at the same time.

If this happens, play Sudden Death. However, if you win in both ways and your opponent wins in only one way, you are the victor!

What ’s Sudden Death ?

In Sudden Death, you play a new game, but each player uses only 1 Prize card instead of the usual 6. Except for the single Prize card, treat the Sudden Death game like a whole new game! Set everything up and flip a coin again to see who goes first. The winner of this game is the overall winner. If the Sudden Death game also ends in Sudden Death, just keep playing Sudden Death games until somebody wins.

Archived