Asynchronous NOT synchronous gameplay

dcrane

Synchronous gameplay can really slow a game down. For example, when I play Cheerleader's Choice I have to wait for my opponent to draw a card before I can continue my turn.

Please consider making asynchronous anything that currently requires my opponent's input before I can continue playing out my turn. If I want to know whether my opponent elected to choose a card when I played Cheerleader's (or when I mulligan for that matter) I can always check your verbose logs.

or a compromise, where you can examine your cards and the play area at any time whilst waiting for the opponent to complete their action.

By way of example you can't check the opponents active or bench once one of your pokemon is knocked out. The only task the game allows is selecting the next active. Which isn't how real games play out.

Hi dcarne,

Both this idea and your feedback on deck searching are really good. However, we would really prefer that you use the suggestion thread for providing us with ideas and feedback. I want to assure you that both the mods and the developer read that thread regularly. regular_smile.png

Asynchronous might be a bigger problem, though. For example, if you're running Yanmega Prime, whether or not they draw that card is really important in deciding what your next play will be. Or, say you run Gengar Prime. Or, say you've used Slowking's Power and you know what their top card is, and you want it in their hand for some reason. From the other perspective, you can simply wait to see what else your opponent plays before saying, oh, I think I will draw my card.

There are LOTS of circumstances where you need all decisions made before you can proceed. If we make it so they don't have to make decisions like that right away, it actually encourages more stalling. "What is he waiting for? I don't have to draw my card right now and I'm not going to!" "Crap, I need to know how many cards are in his hand, but he can just change it if I ask now." Etc.

Yeah, it would cause too many problems. Also on the thinking player's case. Say, you use Prof Elm's Training Method to take Machamp Prime (random example) in your hand. Your opponent has never seen the card before or wants to refresh his memory, so he quickly (but still in an understandable way) reads it. He can either continue to read it and barely see what plays you're making, or he can pay attention to what plays you're making and barely to the Machamp which causes other problems!

I have a far FAR better suggestion to this entire mess.

Checkboxes!

"Auto Draw when prompted"

"Auto Acknowledge anytime your opponent needs to show you his cards"

"Auto Draw prizes From Top Left to Bottom Right"

Available solution to those who what to skip, and those who need to micromanage :D

When I made the asynchronous suggestion, I'm assuming the target market for TCGO is tournament players and the trainer challenge is for learning the game and what the cards do.

I also assume the designers are (at some point) going to implement time limits on games and on turns, so your opponent can't stall. Think how that would play out if the game remained asynchronous:

I'm losing

My opponent has to wait till I choose a card/click the playmat before they can continue their turn

I won't click to let him continue his turn

My opponent will hit the time limit for his turn, at which point he's (likely) forced to end his turn without attacking, or gets a warning, or maybe it's his second warning and he gets a prize card penalty

Obviously, your opponent would need to have a time limit within which to take action, at which point the game just overrides them and takes action for them. But I've played 3 Pokemon Communication in one turn before, followed by Cheerleader's Cheer. And given the slooooooooow response time of the game (at least at present) I could easily time out my turn if I had to wait for my opponent.

Love the checkboxes suggestion, BTW

Archived