What the best way for a beginner to get a good foothold?

WitchDoctor12

New to the game. Got about $10-20 to spend only.

Tried playing with the default deck. Got destroyed by my opponents.

Looking to play this game casually, so not willing to spend alot of time and money into this.

Any recommendations?

Whats a good preset deck?

Hmm, not many good preset decks. Use some of that money on Plasma Freeze packs. People will give you a boat load for those. But if you really want a deck, try either the decks from Dark Explorers, Boundaries Crossed, or Plasma Storm.

generally the preset decks are made for kids, so there's not much strategy involved, and the decks usually only include a couple of rare/powerhouse pokemon (if any), which is generally not enough to provide your opponents with much competition.

(i haven't played since 2008 or so and am just getting back into the game, so i don't know of any specific cards that would go well in a certain pre-made deck. i also am not looking to spend much on cards initially, so this is my current strategy: :)

if you really don't want to/can't invest too much into the game, i would purchase a pre-made deck, and 5 or 6 booster packs (or just start with 2 or 3 if your budget is really tight). read the cards you get in the boosters, and see what may go well with your deck. you want to get into the habit of developing and recognizing strategies (for example, "one of my pokemon makes me discard energies...but this trainer allows me to draw energies from my discard pile" ..just as a basic example). then, once you get to know your Pokemon League/friends/wherever you play, target the beginner players, if possible. (it takes knowing the ins and outs of all the cards in the expansion...and well over $100.00 to be able to create a deck that can hang with the advanced players.) just have fun, and familiarize yourself with whats out there. who knows? maybe in time you'll evolve into a true TCG poke-fanatic. ;)

-bree

Archived