EX Heavy Decks in Novice : My Solution

VancouverDad

Hi all,

I've been trying some fun decks in Novice and as many have noted, I've run into a ton of EX Heavy decks that should be in Expert, imho.

For me, once I determine I'm playing against an EX heavy deck in Novice, I forfeit immediately.

Sure, they get the "win" but it doesn't really impact any of our real stats. So when I see my opponent pull an EX for an active and put one on the bench in the opening turn, I'm gone. I'll just move on to someone at a more appropriate Novice level for my deck.

If all of us who don't like big EX decks in Novice were to do that, it might discourage those decks there. Jus' sayin'...

Good luck and have fun, everyone!

And how would that go with a new player who happens to have 1 ex card? On the other hand u can get several cards that counter Ex pokemon (Jolteon, Bouffalant, Klinklang) not forgetting some overpowered pokemon cards that can copy attacks or pack a good punch attack power wise (Primeape,Blastoise etc).

I've spent the last couple of weeks hanging out in Novice with a non-EX deck, and it seems to me that the problem of EX-heavy decks on that level is nowhere near as great as some say. Yes, there are EXes there, but it seems to me not a lot of fully formed Tier-1 decks. So I've seen (for example) a "Keldeo/Blastoise" deck with one Keldeo EX and one Mewtwo EX, a "Thundurus/Kyurem/Deoxys" deck with the Thundurus EXes and Kyurems but no Deoxys, bags of random EXes, and so on. The Tier-1 decks I have seen have mostly been played by folks who seem to be new to them (they spend a long time thinking and make obvious mistakes). Defeating them with a non-EX deck can be challenging but is far from impossible.

Novice level serves many purposes: learning the game, having fun with unambitious decks, developing and trying out powerful new decks, etc. It would be nice to have more specialized levels (do you hear, Professors?), but till that happens it seems to me the best thing is to stay cool and be nice to each other.

Doesn't "novice" and "expert" refer to play skill and not deck type? My 8 year old son usually plays on expert, but should he be excluded from novice when he has an EX in his original deck? He doesn't play net decks. I think we lose track that kids do play the game, and while I am impressed with how well my son plays he is not an "expert" yet.

And how would that go with a new player who happens to have 1 ex card? On the other hand u can get several cards that counter Ex pokemon (Jolteon, Bouffalant, Klinklang) not forgetting some overpowered pokemon cards that can copy attacks or pack a good punch attack power wise (Primeape,Blastoise etc).

Unfortunately I don't have control over the cards I get- the only cards I get are cards that they give me for free, and I usually get filler cards and one great stage one Pokemon that I don't have the basic form of. It's unfortunate, but I don't want to give up the game for that :/ It's unfair to me, and it's obviously not your fault- but still. What do I do with my basic deck? :(

Some are in ur basic starter decks,also u can get pokemon like bouffalant by completing the trainer challenges, not to mention u can get a whole load of extras by just completing them (packs for example, wich could contain Ex cards aswell). There are plenty ofways to catchup and even eventually start trading for packs urself. I myselkf invested 20 euro in the game and now own over 1200 cards where of 35 ex's and that all by activly watching the trades and making my advantage of em. If i can doit so can you...

What kinda ticks me off running into some guy playing a fully-developed Plasma in novice. He obviously knew what he was doing from talking to him. I only really play novice when I want to test some new deck I built that isn't too overpowered. At least that guy with the Plasma forfeited to my Hooligants deck XD

Well, to me, I assume that Unlimited deck is for novice and Modified deck is for better players because I always lose in modified deck even when I'm using the same deck...

Archived