Why does one guys list determine "prices" of cards?

tetronic

^ title

Don't have anything against someone making their trading list, but when that list determines prices of all worthy cards in game it's just wrong and annoying "No I won't give you this for that because random list on forum says it's worth 0.5 packs more"

There has to be a better way.

^ title

Don't have anything against someone making their trading list, but when that list determines prices of all worthy cards in game it's just wrong and annoying "No I won't give you this for that because random list on forum says it's worth 0.5 packs more"

There has to be a better way.

Assuming you are talking about gravybeast, it's probably because he has a very good feel for the market value of cards since he's been trading for a very long time.

Prior to Dark Explorers and back when we had the old trading system, I was also very in tune with the market value of cards, as were a lot of other traders. These days it's more difficult to keep up with, which is why I'm thankful we have someone like gravy who is willing to put the time and effort into pricing cards.

I'm not questioning his experience, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but in my opinion this shouldn't be a measure of trading affecting WHOLE game. If someone wants to trade over forum, ok, his/hers own decision, but when it's carried to a game it becomes a little bit unfair.

Assuming you are talking about gravybeast, it's probably because he has a very good feel for the market value of cards since he's been trading for a very long time.

Prior to Dark Explorers and back when we had the old trading system, I was also very in tune with the market value of cards, as were a lot of other traders. These days it's more difficult to keep up with, which is why I'm thankful we have someone like gravy who is willing to put the time and effort into pricing cards.

thanks vikes, much respect my man

It's only a guide, a reference to what Gravy has researched by monitoring the trade list, to what peple actually are willing to trade for,

he is there scalping that search all the time, and fair play to him, I do not have the paitence to use this painful trade system.

it's down right awful. and i think that has alot to do with it.

if it where a better based trade system, where there was no lag, easy to set up, not have to friend request, not have to list every 8 hours, ctrl+click for multiple item addition, tag all public binders, view all binders, a decent search function where you can filter BASIC things like being able to differentiate between cards that are wanted and cards that are offered.

I could really ramble on about how I HATE the fact this is a trading card game, and the least thing I want to do is trade anything.

I have a bizillion cards Id love to get rid of, heck I've got 41 Cacnea from todays PF pulls, I will never get rid of.

I would love to clear out some stuff, but will never do it because it's too much hassle I have 6 thundurus and a FA one, I listed it today in public andf had to add 12 packs for the wanted.

>make offer

>add item

>type freeze

>add 1 pack

>REPEAT 11 MORE TIMES

and I didnt even sell! idc it reminds me why I dont bother using the awful system.

ANYWAY

the long and the square of it, Gravys list is a GUIDE, If you feel your cards are worth less, sell them less, explain that its a guide,

you think his guide is all wrong?

good, prove it wrong, make your own list, do your own research and explain whats what.

Its not that Gravy is 'dictating' the price per say, but I just put a 100 pack trade through with him, got good value for it, even at real life pack ratio values you would not be able to scale the same trade.

Have a look and tell me, what YOU think this trade is worth.

Did I get ripped off? Can you do it for less? more?

how much should I have paid if you where monoploizing the game?

http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/showthread.php?31835-GravyBeast-Trading-Inc/page119&p=782915#post782915

The second problem, there is only 1 form of currency. PACKS.

There is no smaller denomination, you cannot use tokens or gems as barter bait, so we have to use packs.

Based on the RNG (random number generator) of when you open a pack what cards you get, slightly determine the packs value.

If we had a superior system like the JP where there isnt all these filler cards holo, r.holo, ect ect and where better chances of good pulls in a pack they would be worth more.

the gamble system I rife online, buy a booster box IRL you are guaranteed at least 2 EX and then some

open 36 packs you can draw dead every pack, or get 36 FA EX (read; not likely)

I just opened 200 PF packs online today, and could have got more worth in cards trading at Gravy prices for straight packs

But I had a rollercoaster ride opening 200 packs so I ent even mad, thats how I roll

(although I did only pull 2 absol -.-)

So the accumulation of, RNG, pack worth, Demand and supply is more of an influencing factor than Gravybeast.

Im not saying he dosent have the sinister hand technique, but It's bettter with it than without, and he does frequently update and monitor the market when needed.

Heck, I wouldnt even ever bothered to get what i got if it wasnt for for being big time trader.

But please let me know what you think the worth of cards should be, im always interested in what people think and if its valid we can take down the Gravy empire... mwuhahaha!

Cereal, who dosent like gettng things cheaper XD

But please let me know what you think the worth of cards should be, im always interested in what people think and if its valid we can take down the Gravy empire... mwuhahaha!

never!

you guys need to remember, things are high atm. its temporary. its just first day 'estimates'. it'll be changing as people decide what they want to pay. it's not just me that monitors things. i have a team of people that help keep up to date with most everything. yes some cards are overlooked sometimes but eventually we notice and fix it.

i have a team ROCKET

Gravybeast confirmed for Giovanni.

Evil price fixing monopolizer! brb ima get my pikachuu and defeat you !

Gravybeast confirmed for Giovanni.

Evil price fixing monopolizer! brb ima get my pikachuu and defeat you !

everyone is considered in the team as long as you've got a good head on your shoulders

Gravy does not set pricing he has a thread that lists his educated option of pricing AND he SELL for what he lists so he can backup the pricing by delivering.

People that are selling always seem to want to use it as their guide. Even if they cannot deliver the same level of service.

People buying do not seem to want to use it.

I wonder why?

Lastly if you don’t like the offer make an offer that will attract the cards you want. As you need a seller and a buyer to agree to accept an offer here.

This is how I see Gravy, he is the Troll and Toad of PTCGO. I love Gravy man, he's an amazing guy. But his prices, at the beginning of each new set, are outrageous! The reasoning for this is because the prices for the real life cards will more than likely determine the price of the online version and since certain cards, for instance Deoxys EX, are super high on the only website with preorders then Gravy's price on here will be high. As most people on here have said, this is merely an educated option of how he predicts the meta and pricing of cards to be.

If you're selling cards at the same price as Gravy, good luck finding people who will want to trade with you. Most people, myself included, would rather trade with Gravy if someone else is offering the same price. If you offer cheaper than Gravy, then HECK YEAH i'm taking that any day. Gravy's thread is not to scam people out of packs, it really is the true value of a card at any given time. He constantly updates it and takes time out of everyday to check his thread and everything. I've used Gravy's thread since being here. The only time I don't use it is when a new set comes out, my reason is I don't always have money to get 100 packs or so in order to trade for my stuff. Especially right now, I mean I still need 4 Deoxys, 3 Thundurus, 3 Kyurem and lots of the staple trainers and I have no way of getting this.

Overall, i'm glad for what Gravy does for this online game. If it wasn't for him then you'd be seeing Deoxys go for probably 50 packs, honestly. Even though sometimes I don't agree with his pricing, it's the easiest way to go.

If I were to price cards, and this is how I do it when making a trade most of the time, I go by the in real life prices. Pack=~$4 (american) and lets say Bianca full art which = ~$15-20 (american). I then divide the card's price by the pack price and that gives me an amount of packs. It's one of the easiest ways to do this, and most people say "REAL LIFE PRICES DON'T MATTER ON HERE"; well then, if they don't matter then how do you price your cards? Doing it this way is one of the most effective ways to price a certain card and almost anyone can do it. Every computer has a calculator on it, if you can't do that simple division on a calculator then how are you playing such a sophisticated game as PTCG (most of the time it's sophisticated).

Those are my 2 cents about this subject matter. If I offended you at all Gravy, just message me in game and we can talk it out since this is not my point to offend you. Thanks!

Those are my 2 cents about this subject matter. If I offended you at all Gravy, just message me in game and we can talk it out since this is not my point to offend you. Thanks!

not at all. pretty spot on. you know things will drop. its all good.

Archived