Please, stop using super-powerful decks in the novice section...

heyhi3549

Hello PTCGO Players,

I am posting to address the issue I have seen people complaining about lately. I would like to ask you all to please stop using super-powerful EX decks in the novice section. Before you go on below, asking why I hate EX's and all, please be aware that I have nothing against EX's. In fact, I have quite a few EX decks of my own, and am piecing together another right now. But some people don't have a lot of money/good cards to trade, so they can't make decks that even have a chance of winning against the over-powered EX decks of today. Please, if you want to play EX cards, please play in the expert section instead of schooling all the players who just don't have the cards to make a good deck. And TPCi, can you make some sort of restriction about quantity of EX's in the novice section? And even if they won't block it, can we make a gentlemanly rule about this, considering the players who just want a relaxed game? Thank you to all who consider this.

Ahh this old chestnut again... do we really need another one? The responses to this on both sides of the argument have been addressed on numerous occasions and it really is an issue thats been beaten down time and time again... until the time that an intermediate section is implemented or the rules are changed nothing that is written on a forum page is really going to affect peoples free will and there will always be people that want easy wins with EXs its just the way some people are... trust me I see the valid points on both sides but this is starting to come up more than the what do tokens do question... and I see that a LOT. I will say nothing more

Calling for a restriction of EX cards in Novice matches says with other words that the more EXes you have in your deck, the better you deck is. That has never been the case, so with that you can toss that suggestion out of the window.

TCGo should just implement more Tiers to choose from instead of just Expert (stands for competitive;hard) and just Novice (being rookie and easy while also being laidback play or training play for experienced players). This whole misunderstanding that Novice is only for Rookies who only played the game just a few weeks and can't afford any EXes to make a stable or consistent deck is total garbage. Heck, you can make even competitive decks without any EXes and still play on Novice with it and get away with. However doing more Tiers would result in more pools to put players in (Unlimited-Novice;Unlimited-Expert;Modified-Novice;Modified-Expert) which results into less chance to find a game.

TCGs and CCGs are pay to win. If you can't deal with the fact you have a hard time winning versus someone who puts hunderds hours and money in it, don't play it. Also you should be complain for the game modes at the devs and not blame the players for it.

PS: I just came up with this so hear me out:

I'll just call it 'Rookie Rank' for now. So whenever a player joins the TCGo and logs in for the first time he/she gets prompted if he/she is an newcomer to the game. If so, that player will get the label 'Rookie Rank' and can only play in the Rookie game mode (Unlimited-Rookie) batling only players who are also labeled 'Rookie Rank'. After a set number of played matches in that game mode (say 50), whenever the player aquired a set number of cards or after a set number of time the player gets the option to promote out of the 'Rookie Rank'. After the player chooses to do so, Rookie game mode becomes unavailable.

Doing this you'll fix all the problems in one go, never having to worry about newbies getting mixed up with experienced players and vice versa. Your welcome PTCGo :)

trust me I see the valid points on both sides but this is starting to come up more than the what do tokens do question... and I see that a LOT. I will say nothing more

LOL Fluba. u da man

TCGs and CCGs are pay to win. If you can't deal with the fact you have a hard time winning versus someone who puts hunderds hours and money in it, don't play it. Also you should be complain for the game modes at the devs and not blame the players for it.

I can deal with the fact I won't win vs a dedicated player who has invested heavily. I think most can. But I think dismissing the frustration of not having a place to learn the competitive game and even decide if I want to invest time and money in it is extremely short sighted and ultimately will cause PTCO to fail.

I'm not going to blame the devs for win-hungry players constantly destroying noobs. I will blame those players for their decision.

In order to have an elite set of players who are heavily invested, the game needs a pyramid of gamer levels with noobs on the bottom and championship level players on top. I don't know the age demographics of the online game but getting them hooked when they are young (I'm talking the 7 to 14 year old group) seems to align with the target market of the cartoons (most visible Pokemon marketing). Even before that you're entering competition with fast twitch games, MTG, etc. By the time they hit the 18-24 demographic (that's the one with the most disposable income and time for entertainment like this), there is a ton of competition for entertainment dollars. And, to be blunt, many consider Pokemon a child's game and there is a stigma attached after a certain age with that issue.

Without a fun yet challenging way for people to slowly invest time and money in the online game, you'll never build a strong subscriber base. TCGO won't profit and eventually be shut down thus negating any investment anyone has made in the online cards.

I played about a dozen games tonight in Novice and Expert. I saw little difference in the two. Since I was tuning an intermediate deck, I got my you-know-what handed to me almost all the time since almost every deck I played against was EX heavy. It was very frustrating.

I play several PTCGO games every day. I trade. I've entered coupons from physical boosters and decks I've bought. But if I can't play a fun, competitive game without getting schooled even in novice. I won't keep investing the time or money. I suspect I'm not alone.

Archived