Suggestion for Tokens and Locked cards.

TheHos

So another trainer (Awsmsc) and I were discussing in one of the main Lobby's about locked cards...More specifically opening a free pack and getting a Full Art card. Yeah, it's great getting it and being able to show off in your decks; however, it sucks at the same time, since you have such a high valued card, but cannot trade it away for the cards you need.

Both of us agreed that there is a need for free cards to be locked, seeing how this game is really a way for the real life TCG to earn some more money. And also, keeping the cards locked is a way to keep players from making multiple accounts and abusing the free cards.

So we came to 2 different outcomes that I think would make both the Pokemon tcg company and the players happy. Once you implement the Poke Tokens to be used in game, maybe have it so they can be redeemed to unlock the cards that are bound to the account:

1) Make a set value that unlocks a single cards. Such as you can spend 100 tokens (or whatever value the company makes it) and it will unlock a single card. That way most of the cards remained locked and still keeps the free cards from getting abused to much, and when players open a pack containing a sought after or high value card, we can still trade it away for the cards that we need.

2) Make a way to spend a large some of Poke Tokens (say 1,000,000 or so), and it permanently unlocks all of the cards that are bound (currently and future ones). It pretty much gives your account something like a VIP status. By making it cost so many tokens, it still makes it too much work to really abuse it my players making multiple accounts. Also it would be like a loyalty rewards type thing, for the players that have spent so much time in the game.

With Gems, Codes, Tokens, Keys, and booster credits it seems like they have all levels of currency going along. And though I like the thought of making the locked cards unlocked, it really doesn't make sense for them to do something like that with a free currency. I could see them doing something like that with Gems so they get some money out of it, but suddenly allowing for all the free cards to become tradable for free could upset the "economy".

What they could do is sell locked cards and packs with the tokens and then allow those cards to be unlocked with gems. That way you aren't needing to spend money on outside pack codes for random digital cards alone when you can just pick and choose which cards youd want to actually invest in of what you have.

I would be perfectly fine with that Idea Syaieya. And it does makes since from a money earning aspect for the game as well. I currently have no desire to buy Gems...But if there was a set amount of Gems it takes to unlock one card, then I could see myself buying Gems to unlock a few of my locked "valuable" or "sought after" cards...Such as my locked FA EX's.

So in my case, I am not spending any less money on packs (I personally would still would buy the same amount of packs whether I can or cannot unlock my cards), but I am spending money on the Gems that I wouldn't have otherwise bought. Therefore it's pure profit...However this is just for me. But I am sure that there are others that would be like me in this sense.

And for those that if they could unlock their locked cards AND it would decrease the amount of money that they spend on booster packs, as long as the price to unlock each card was high enough, then I feel that the company would still be making a net profit off of them. I don't think too many people are constantly pulling high valued cards from the daily log-in, and the trainer challenge packs are a one time thing (unless people are Multi-account abusing). Therefore I don't see it effecting sales of Boosters very much.

The price to unlock an individual card would also need to be set high enough to deter people from abusing the system and making multiple accounts just to earn the trainer challenge packs in the hopes to get High Value cards. So unlocking cards that are valued at one pack or so might still not be worth it for us (assuming the cost to unlock a card was over the value of a pack). But if they set the price around the value of 3 or 4 packs, then those people with locked Secret Rares, Full Art Ex's, and cards that are currently selling for 3+ packs would still be willing to pay to that amount to unlock them, allthewhile, hopefully making it not worth the time for a lot of people to try to abuse it.

• 2 months later...

what they should do is make you pay to temporarily unlock said card only for a few days,and if you trade it,whatever you get in exchange is locked after you get it and cant be unlocked for so long(5 days or something)and then you have to pay to unlock it again.

Perhaps the cost to unlock a card should be based on the card's rarity. Say something like a commonplace energy such as one from HGSS (with the background watermarks) costing roughly $0.50 US to unlock while a common is $1, uncommon $2.50, rares are $4, and those with a holo effect, full-art, etc. would have prices ranging from $6-10 per card.

Tigerking's idea is interesting, but it may be a bit cumbersome for players, developers, and the servers themselves. Plus it could be abused to lock copious amounts of cards or frustrating someone who deals in rare cards, depending on the trade. (e.g. Trading an EX-FA for several boosters and the receiver not knowing their card will be locked)

If I'm gonna pay for a free card to get unlocked, I'd want it to remain unlocked. It may be too much to ask for an unlocking function based on free currency, but unlocking cards with real money only for a while is the other end of the spectrum and plain ripping off. A set value to unlock a certain amount of cards permanently would be great. The cards will be literally paid for so there would be no reason for them to get locked again, and it would make sense that every 10 cards cost as much as a real life booster pack. It would be like buying the free booster pack these cards came from in order to unlock it, so it makes sense that this would be their value.

We have to remember that if unlocking any ten cards was the same cost as a single booster pack, it would be unfair to players that buy normal random boosters as the "unlockers" would essentially have free reign to pick and choose what is in their booster.

Likewise, multi-account players could abuse it buy opening several free or token-bought boosters and cherry-pick the rare cards from across the accounts. Such players could then trade them onto a main account to either trade for a treasure trove or compete with a recipe deck that would normally take months to acquire by the legitimate community.

Other than that, purchasing to unlock a card should be a one-and-done transaction.

You are right, I didn't think this through, people would only unlock their most rare cards too easily.

I guess the prices you suggested are not extreme, but it feels a bit odd when what you're gonna get in exchange is just another virtual card. But the businessmen in Pokemon co will figure it out better than we would anyway.

Most of the locked cards I own are from the daily rewards booster packs. I can never argue with free--and I am very grateful for them.

I would,however, like to see more use for my acquired tokens. I'd like a large selection of playmats, deck sleeves, and other ways to "flare" out my PTCGO experience.

I'd like to see that locked cards could be traded, like for like, for other locked cards. because at the moment i have about 5 or 6 locked catchers and i cant use them for anything. I have that ""issure"" with more cards. but i guess its almost impossible to implement such a feature because people will take advantage of it and redeem (for example) 100 power relay decks and try to trade them all.

Archived