[INQUIRY] Booster Pack Opening Algorithm?

Mister-Burkes

Hi,

I just wanted to inquire about the algorithm used to determine what cards you get from a booster pack. I've consistently seen very bizarre patterns where I will continuously get the same exact rares in a row. For example, from opening 10 HS Triumphant packs today, I scored 7 Electivire (non-foil) as my rare card. The statistical odds of that happening in a fair, random system are EXTREMELY low. One other distinct memory I have of something similar happening like this was when I decided to open 100 plasma storm packs a while back, and ended up with 21 Exploud (non-foil).

Could you have the developer who wrote the algorithm take another look at his code? :cool:

Could you have him confirm that it is fully random, and maybe briefly explain how it works (is it just a RNG system, or what?) :confused:

Or possibly refine the algorithm to mitigate the effects of otherwise really, really, really bad luck? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mister Burkes

This definitely needs to be looked into, I myself have pulled back to back Full art ex cards on more than 1 occasion, the odds of that happening in a real booster box in real life are 0%.

This just happened - opened 3 consecutive Next Destinies packs.

Pack 1: Double rare pack -> Arcanine, Beheeyem (holo)

Pack 2: Double rare pack -> Arcanine (holo), Beheeyem

Pack 3: Double rare pack -> Arcanine (holo), Beheeyem

What the eff is this?

Could you please escalate this issue to the dev team for review?

That would be great because I have opened almost a hundred boosters without an EX to show for it... This is very frustrating..

I'll shoot this up the chain and see if they can reproduce the issue.

I'd be happy to open 100 free packs to test this Mathis - just in case you need someone ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that the game applies the distribution algorithm to each pack independently. Though I've mentioned this before, I feel it's worth stating again:

There's currently no such thing as a "box" in the game. Collation is applied independently to each booster, regardless of how many boosters are being opened.

Think of it kind of like getting 36 boxes and then opening 1 pack from each. You'll end up with anywhere from 0-36 EX cards.

We're planning to implement some additional collation options in the future, but it's pretty far down the priority list.

I'll be opening 70 PF packs tomorrow, I'll post results so your developers can use it as data.

opened 200 PF packs, you do the math,

don't recon it was too bad, if your opening packs, go big or go home I guess.

One thing to keep in mind is that the game applies the distribution algorithm to each pack independently. Though I've mentioned this before, I feel it's worth stating again:

That may be how it's supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

I've opened 150+ packs and I'm almost certain that I pull ultra-rares every 10 packs of the same set.

Archived