Custom decks in trainer challenge?

PerpetualAscent

Are there any plans to introduce this? Frankly I get bored of using the same decks all the time without being able to change them.

It would be nice to be able to use more decks in the trainer challenge, although our own PvP decks at the moment would clearly overpower the opponents. Maybe introduce a regulatory system for the trainer challenge to ensure that a Custom deck isn't too OP. For example, I have found that Deck Wizard decks are often no better than a theme deck, so maybe allow these into the challenge? It would spice things up a little, provide options and not unbalance the game.

Or they could allow moderate customisation to the basic decks by adding less-overpowered cards of the same type. Also , you should allow us to use the orange and yellow themed decks in the trainer challenges.

I agree it gets boring after a while playing with the same decks. Why not make it so you can use any pre-made deck? (I have the basic orange for example, but I want to use it :( )

I know this first opinion is pretty unpopular, but I for one hate PvP but really like making my own decks. With that fact stated, there's not too much in the game for people like me unless we play with friends (which I don't have much of, especially ones that are interested in playing with me). Now, couple that with the fact that we have such a limited selection in Trainer Challenge, as well as the fact that the CPU opponents in VS mode are so laughably bad, I'm not going to have much fun. (which is why I haven't been here in over a year). As for the fact that the TC would be too easy with custom decks? Make a special mode that allows them, but also has some reeally, really tough opponents (at least compared to the other CPUs). Make the computer a challenge against custom decks, I'm sure it's possible.

Yeah, currently the only change in difficulty in the TC modes seems to be how lucky the computer gets. So on Hard or Expert, the computer gets better draws and wins more coin flips, but it's still a very poor AI that makes bad decisions all the time.

If we can't do custom decks for the TC, at least open up the TC to allow other decks like Orange, Yellow, and maybe periodically introduce new theme decks to keep things fresh.

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously, not all of us make super over-powered decks. Some of us just like to play with DECENT decks (which preconstructed decks are most assuredly not). I mean, really, do we need 4 copies of a basic Pokemon with no evolution? How about 4 of a basic pokemon, two of the stage 1 and no stage 2. Really? Who makes these aweful decks! They have no strategy. It's like they were made by a two year old picking cards by saying "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe". I'm sure there are people out there who like PvP (I'm not one of them.) or who like being utterly crushed every single game (I'm not one of those either.). This is why I wandered away over a year ago and haven't been back. The game suffers from frequent server issues and forces PvP as the only REAL game play mode that's marginally playable. I want to like this every bit as much as I liked the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Game Boy Color (which I still occassionally play), but it has a ways to go before it gets there. Maybe in another year, the game will be much closer to playable...

~Quaggy

Quaggy the PVP has been greatly updated from a year ago. I would encourage you to get back in! I am confused why people do not like to play PVP? This allows for the most unique deck building and strategy against good opponents. It is now so easy to unlock booster packs and decent staple cards from the BW decks that building a decent deck is actually pretty easy to do now. If any of you are looking to get non-metagame cards i have thousands I can trade away, just friend me!

Quaggy the PVP has been greatly updated from a year ago. I would encourage you to get back in! I am confused why people do not like to play PVP? This allows for the most unique deck building and strategy against good opponents. It is now so easy to unlock booster packs and decent staple cards from the BW decks that building a decent deck is actually pretty easy to do now. If any of you are looking to get non-metagame cards i have thousands I can trade away, just friend me!

Better? The game is absolutely destroyed by all those EX cards.

Unique deck building? EX Pokemon are the only cards that currently matter.

Quaggy definitely made the right choice.

What about the option to use a custom deck when a Trainer Challenge is completed against all 3 leagues?

EX pokemon are a fantastic part of the game, although it would be better if there were some stage 1 or stage 2 EXs there are still playable decks that don't need or want EXs such as pretty much anything running accelgor or even some garbodor variants. There are non EX counters to every EX so I think the are as balanced as they need to be

-edit it seems I don't know how to reply right

Seriously, not all of us make super over-powered decks. Some of us just like to play with DECENT decks (which preconstructed decks are most assuredly not). I mean, really, do we need 4 copies of a basic Pokemon with no evolution? How about 4 of a basic pokemon, two of the stage 1 and no stage 2. Really? Who makes these aweful decks! They have no strategy. It's like they were made by a two year old picking cards by saying "Eenie Meenie Miney Moe". I'm sure there are people out there who like PvP (I'm not one of them.) or who like being utterly crushed every single game (I'm not one of those either.). This is why I wandered away over a year ago and haven't been back. The game suffers from frequent server issues and forces PvP as the only REAL game play mode that's marginally playable. I want to like this every bit as much as I liked the Pokemon Trading Card Game for Game Boy Color (which I still occassionally play), but it has a ways to go before it gets there. Maybe in another year, the game will be much closer to playable...

~Quaggy

I agree, Pokemon Trading Card Game on GameBoy Colour is better, because, yes, there are less cards, there is no trading

system, there is no PvP, there graphics suck, and etc., but you can get Booster Packs without having to pay, by playing, which makes it much more fun.

I have friends that have quit playing for the time being because they have either got to go through the Trainer Challenge routine, or go through the process of investing a bit too much in deck building, which is something they are not interested in. And while that could easily mean they just don't like the game, they actually do. And I am confident that they'll be back once things really kick off officially and they have more means to purchase free cards and play around with the various options of the game. I'd never leave because I'm obsessive, and I would never quit the trainer challenge, no matter how boring it gets. But the thing is, they wouldn't leave if custom decks were allowed in trainer challenge. It would make the trainer challenge a better experience, and make deck buinding less stressful since they'd have the AIs to test them out against first. It would also make the Practice Mode in PvP officially useless. It is useless anyway (it is one colorless deck, played by an AI in the Player versus Player mode for God's sake) but it would be so much more obvious when the trainer challenge would do the same job, but better, as it should.

So I say, drop the current, disfunctional difficulty levels in Trainer Challenge, where the AIs use the same decks and are equally (in)capable opponents in all difficulty levels. Make each league a different difficulty level. Have the player in the first one play only using theme decks, against decks of an equal standard used by the AI, have the second league allow the player to use non-EX custom decks, battling against stronger AI non-EX decks, and make EXs available in the player's and the AIs' decks for the third league as a final difficulty level.

With one change you make:

- The trainer challenge more interesting and more demanding.

- Deck building less of a "thing", a more natural and less stressful process.

- You render the already useless Practice Mode in PvP officially useless.

And you make everybody a bit happier.

Anyone who prefers to use custom NON-ex decks can add me :) I use and battle all the time with both! My ex cards are mainly for Defense while in PVP. I don't play them unless I see them ;)

I think meta is now most interesting ever, EXes are great part of game and now they are so many ways to create unique decks.

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion!

All feedback and ideas are always appreciated!

Thank you, Prof_Grant!

I just think it is the simplest way to respond to the players' 'complaints', make the trainer challenge more of a complete single-player gaming experience and also use it as a way to literaly 'train' new players and walk them through the process of learning the game, then making custom decks and then make competitive decks...

By the way, I just asked a question to the support center that I am not sure they can answer to, but I hope they take a look at it and help me out a bit!

Archived