PvP Novice all summed up in one sentence.

Cocolatepie

Cocolaterpie. You've entered a very dangerous discussion regarding Novice Battles. Allow me to sum up the current viewpoints:

1) Using an EX Pokemon doesn't mean you're not still a novice. Yes, EX Pokemon might be powerful, but having them in your deck doesn't make you a better player.

2) There ARE oppertunities for you to play Non-EX Battles. Entering the Non-EX Trading Card League levels would be the best way to do this (check out the PvP Discussion section of the Forums to find the thread for the Trading Card League)

3) There are plenty of viable Anti-EX Pokemon now. Klinklang and Sigi are both common options, as is Heatmor with 4x50 damage

4) Getting angry doesn't solve anything. Accept that EXs are a part of the game, accept that using them doesn't make you an expert and deal with the situation. It sounds harsh, but there are plenty of things you can do about it, and complaining shouldn't be one of them.

1) Certain EX give a huge advantage over other players. And besides, they are so easy to use it doesn't matter if you are a novice since full decklists are so easy to come by.

2) True, but it's a roundabout method. Speaking generally about the problems that stem from having all EX and trainers available in novice, do you seriously think there's no problem with the very beginners having to seek out unofficial ways to play evenly matched games?

3)Klinklang can catch someone with an outdated deck off guard, but it really doesn't take much to take it down if you have even one or two non-EX attackers supported by lasers and abilities. Sigilyph is useless since laser and Heatmor is a joke deck that relies on both your draws/discards and your opponent's starting hand and draws way too heavily. And games with it are literally nothing but attaching energy and hoping for the best, you want the alternate way to play the game to be like that?

4) To be fair, 99% of the time complaining is the right thing to do when you see a flaw in a product. Just not with Pokemon that is notorious for its lack of response to issues players have been vocal about forever, in both the video games and the TCG. The only thing to do here is suck it up and bear with bad decisions, even if they are ones that could be solved within a year if there was even the slightest bit of communication between the designers and players...

The only thing to do here is suck it up and bear with bad decisions.

Perhaps I phrased myself badly. The developers are VERY aware that everyone wants a Non-EX mode and so there's nothing complaining more will achieve. I agree with you - dealing with the current situation is the best move forwards, but I don't feel that 90 people posting EX-Hate messages is the way to deal with it.

I do agree it's a problem that EXs are an easy way to beat absolute beginners, but isn't this true of all Pokemon Games anyway? You can't just march up to the Elite Four straight after you get your starter Pokemon - why should this game HAVE to be any different and segregate 'beginners' simply on the virtue of how many EXs you have? Let's not forget Nintendo have done everything they can to make EX Pokemon widely available (Promos etc) and so if you're THAT annoyed, go out and spend a few dollars and buy some Promo EX tins.

My point is largely the same as your quote above. The game is what it is - and there are still plenty of ways to enjoy it without the need for relentlessly complaining.

I think the better comparison to Pokémon games would be this: imagine if the Elite Four all used full teams of level 100 legendaries. Unless you bring your own team of the same things, you simply can't win, or at least you need ridiculous luck to do so. All other team combinations and strategies are practically unavailable. Your only choices are to comply or stop playing. I know this is an unfitting example, but still no less than yours.

And even thought that's not the case in the games and E4's teams can be even defeated with 6 magikarps and at the same time you have the easiest time using the most difficult to find ones (legendaries and pseudos), that works in the video game because it's fundamentally different in so many ways I feel stupid for even explaining it all. Your goal is to collect and train a team, and it's a project that can take from tens to hundreds of hours based on where you are aiming at and how, and your reward is to sweep with your prized legendary. But a match of TCG takes up to 50 minutes, the luck of the draw makes it, by nature, a game that utilizes its complexity the best by being based on calculated risk and probability, which is a direct opposite of the video game is a game of absolutes where you know when something is within your knock-out range even without critical hits. In the TCG are supposed to be rewarded for the thought you put into using various cards to cover the weaknesses of others creatively within the confines of 60 card limit rather than money and effort you put into obtaining the absolutely strongest cards.

I have to admit, though, that this rational decision-making in using cards is what is happening, it is always what has happened. Using EX is the rational thing to do, and players realize it. But the problems of the current game design are that EX have both the highest early game and late game potential and consistency, and they are basics, meaning they take 1/3 of the deck space stage 2 lines do. Many of my decks are improved tenfold when I get tired of getting crushed by Landos and change my Stage 1 or Stage 2 attacker for some Tornadus, Landos or Mewtwos of my own. Ta-dah, not only are my Pokémon stronger, I just got 8 more slots for trainers. These EX don't even have any interesting synergy with my other cards, they simply attack. And despite the 2 prize penalty, I'm now WAY less likely to lose by prizes. And those poor souls with weak basics in their decks? I attack so fast I am guaranteed to knock something out if I go first or draw decently, and STILL I have the higher end game damage potential and durability.

And even if the EX are available to all, that doesn't mean the game is fine. It means they are capitalizing on the problem instead of addressing its root. And I'm very reserved in praise for TPCi's promos since they keep necessary cards, ones that should be common sense to include in theme decks and starter packs, really difficult to obtain.

Back on topic, the ability to attack fast and hard with only the condition of energy attachment, the most boring and easiest way to play, is rewarded the most to the extent where everything else is virtually unplayable in a competitive environment. Overall this is all really, really flawed design. They don't have a vulnerable period where you get free hits in, unless you play a clunky steel deck, and even that is easy to overcome. EX cards are supposed to have, despite their 2 prize penalty, a slower start or lower damage limit or they are way too efficient and safe to use. I've seen Megalo Cannon scans, and they are another proof they continue to underestimate the players and overlook the problems. Instead of really needed cards like a basic that has BC Raticate's Super Fang equivalent except only works on EX Pokémon in order to finally truly pressure certain EX on early stages of the game. And instead of giving the stage 2 with more HP and damage than EX have, we get minor tweaks to a major problem with tools that evolution decks can't even have slots to use.

And let's imagine if the dominance of a boring and repetitive way of playing certain types of EX was removed. It wouldn't be the end of the game commercially. The only thing that changes would be that the cards with the highest functionality in certain areas (other than inability to attack Plasma Steel and Safeguard…) have absolutely none in others. The cards with the highest playability would obviously still be rarer than those that have multiple requirements to function or a limited time to shine, and set fillers would exist even if just to bump rarity and go for collectors, so there's no lack of incentive to get the best cards at higher prices.

And the point of my posts is to help people realize there's reason to be upset, and they should demand and expect change instead of continuing to let the designers take their loyalty for granted.

Sink this in. I beat a raquaza deck with NO EX, prime, or holo rare. Can you guess what the pokemon I used were?

I'm new to the online TCG & personally I feel EXs are a weakness to most decks but with that said... My deck is designed to keep their strong Pokemon from attacking ever and allowing mine to have free reign. I do believe to the majority of the decks not designed specifically with EXs in mind or using the strategy I use (Which uses nearly all my reserved trainer spots) most decks will simply fail against the crushing weight of EXs. Simply too strong too early; a good example is EX Mewtwo is isn't only powerful but insanely splash-able...

Archived