A new evolution line rule; saving the amnesiac charizard & co.

Aisor

First of all, I'll introduce one of my favorite and most hated cards at the same time.

Celebi-EX

Ability: Each of your evolved Pokémon can use any attack from its previous Evolutions. (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)

Even if not the first time this mechanic is introduced (Meteor Falls, EX Deoxys #89), this is a brilliant ability. No, it's not the most powerful one, but the idea is deep. With Celebi in play, you get to design the move pool of your evolved Pokémon, by combining pre-evolutions and evolutions! I love this one so much.

But at the same time, I hate Celebi-EX. That's because it wastes the idea. Evolution lines already take a lot of room, so can you really afford to rely on this 110 HP, 2 prize catcher bait on the bench? No. And you shouldn't have to. Because Celebi's ability should ALWAYS be on effect. I'd say making Celebi's ability a new, permanent gameplay mechanic would be a logical step to move the game forward, towards something even more fun.

Just think about it. What kind of dumb Charizard would want to forget how to use useful stuff like Raging claws and Draw in? Shouldn't your Klingklang still be capable of Smash Turning away from trouble? Is there some reason Garbodor is so incompetent it can't Garbage Collect as a consolation prize when it gets catcher locked? Somehow Flygon can't throw some more sand at your foe's team like Vibrava or eat their energy like Trapinch anymore? Braviary forgets how to Chirp? What kind of Stoutland doesn't know how to Roar or Bite? And those are only a couple of the most obvious ones from the top of my head. There are countless possibilities to be found.

The way I see it, transforming Time Recall from an ability to a new rule to the game would add a whole another dimension into the game. Your pre-evolution card choices always matter aside from their HP to withstand damage until they get to evolve, and some moves/abilities that might help you set up faster and more reliably. What would this mean? Well; some the evolving basics and stage 1 with the best abilities would have lower HP and higher retreat, but it would pay-off once you evolve them and get to use their abilities after they are all grown up. Those wouldn't be their main attacks in most cases, but they would help them complement their slow setup with less potent yet cheaper moves, stalling moves and acceleration moves, depending on what you need your Pokémon to do. As a result, there would be growing demand for different types of basics, there would be less cases of one being the absolute best one, and that makes different sets' seemingly inferior alternate versions of them mean something. Even those with Rage wouldn't necessarily be the best as you can instead take other type of approach, and Rage is always a risky move to use. Rare Candy wouldn't always be such an universally obvious choice with maybe one stage 1 in case of emergency.

I don't think this change would even be difficult to execute in practice. The only thing that needs to be done is to change the way you put the cards on the table. Instead of putting the evolution on top of what it evolves from, you would put the pre-evolutions to the side of them, with their entire text visible.

Obviously there are cards like Zoroark using Ascend that would be a little… weird, but I don't see any fundamental flaws with this or how it would cause any weird interactions that Mew EX already wouldn't have.

And the reason I post this here, instead of the suggestions forum, is because I know it's not only outside the authority of not just PTCGO but even TCPI itself as well. And even if they did, I know this kind of change will never happen.

Either way, any thoughts? Would it work or not?

I think this is a really bad idea (sorry :P)... Different attacks of the members of each line add a level of strategy to the game. This basic can poison, should you evolve it because its Stage 1 can cause paralysis? It's all give and take; the game would be boring if Charizard could use Ember :( :cool:

So, any game with Celebi in it is boring? Care to elaborate what makes it boring? Because I find a Charizard not doing anything for 3 turns much more boring.

As for the trade-offs, do you really consider postponing evolution just so that you can get a paralysis flip from stage 1's attack strategic? The few cases it could be considered a good move are just desparation moves, in any other case getting the HP is preferable because the Stage 1 is so vulnerable to catcher.

It's... just... an example...

Abilities are interesting for one Pokemon, but not if they're going to be turned into game rules. Bronzong has an interesting ability too, but you wouldn't want in every game. I say let Celebi have that ability (and you seem to be very keen on defending its unslighted honor), but don't make it a game rule.

And Charizard is never boring!

Well, if removal of a dimension of tactical flexibility is not what you meant to demonstrate with your 'just an example', and you believe I didn't address that, then it comes down to a matter of preference. But from my experience, using pre-evolutions to attack is not sustainable, the only cases of notable trade-offs I can think of are Tynamotor and Dragon Call (which would still remain trade-offs since this only concerns moves, not abilities).

Besides, why do you bring up this mechanic as an Ability like it's comparable to all other abilities? It makes no sense whatsoever. Removing healing from the game is entirely different than adding new ways for cards to attack. And even if Celebi's ability had never been printed, it's still a possibility to think of and implement such rule...

I am just saying that just because abilities are interesting doesn't mean they should be remade as rules. Theoretically, I can see why Charizard OUGHT to remember Ember, and probably does in the anime, but I don't think that it should remember it in the game because it would make the game less interesting and less tactical.

Don't worry; I'm one person; my opinion's not important *shrug*

My arguments are all grounded on making more strategies and tactical maneuvers available, it has nothing to do with realism. Those questions about whether it makes sense were just intro that presents one perspective more comically. But heh, opening up spontaneous talk analytically like this makes it seem even ***** than it was already.

Well, if you don't feel like explaining your stance further that's fine. But I didn't really catch what makes it uninteresting and less tactical. A concrete example of a situation where it oversimplifies the game would be nice to help me understand where you are coming from. Of course, you don't need to bother if it's too much trouble or you don't feel like it.

I would, but I only use a few cards myself (compared to people who have like 30+ decks) so I don't know as much about Pokemon moves as other people do. I really think that this will make the game more boring / less tactical somehow, but if this IS implemented I can say that I was at the thread that started it all... :cool:

I see. if you feel that way, it must be based on something that I fail to notice. Or then again, maybe you just haven't used Celebi-EX enough to find out how much more there is to do in the game and how fun it is with more attacks to choose from :P

Archived