Favorite "ComMon"

Zeva0469

So, who is your favorite of the "ComMon"s. The early route common rat./bird Pokemon like Rattata, Pidgey, Sentre, Zigzagoon, etc.

Mine are Pidgey and Zigzagoos, they're just so fluffy. ^_^

Obviously Starly, because of Staraptor.

Mamepato (...wot is it in English again?) stinks for trying to be Starly but worse. Much worse.

Next is Zigzagoon for Pick-Up win.

Mamepato (...wot is it in English again?) stinks for trying to be Starly but worse. Much worse.

I would like to point out that you shouldn't bash Mamepeto for "trying to be like Starly" because Starly is trying to be like Taillow, and Taillow is trying to be like Hoothoot and Hoothoot is trying to be like Spearow and Spearow is trying to be like Pidgey.... basically, what it comes down to is that all Flying ComMons are close enough to being exactly the same (just with some minor twists) that it's silly to bash one over the others.

That being said, my faves are Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, and if you'll count it, Poochyena. >W<

I see a resemblance...

150px-396Starly.png

AND

pidove.jpg

Hoothoot is nothing like the others. That should be really obvious, hence why it has psychic abilities and is special-oriented, with the highest special attack and special defense of them all. It's clearly the most bulky and has dual-screen access. Starly line is vastly different from everyone else just because of Close Combat, and it's even more offensive than Spearow.

Spearow-line is much more offensive than Pidgey-line, which is the most defensive. Taillow is speed-oriented and is meant for Guts abuse.

I have no idea wot Pidove is trying to do. I guess trying to be balanced, but it is somehow the worst bird of them all.

But yeah, saying they're all close enough when they all play dramatically different (at least Swellow, Staraptor and Noctowl) is a generalization.

HP ATK DEF Sp.Atk Sp. Def Speed

Unfezant: 80 105 80 65 55 93

Fearow: 65 90 65 61 61 100

Pidgeot: 83 80 75 70 70 91

Noctowl: 100 50 50 76 96 70

Swellow: 60 85 60 50 50 125

Staraptor: 85 120 70 50 50 100

Edit: Fearow shouldn't even count since Dodrio is better than it in every single way. >.>;

I see a resemblance...

150px-396Starly.png

AND

pidove.jpg

Hoothoot is nothing like the others. That should be really obvious, hence why it has psychic abilities and is special-oriented, with the highest special attack and special defense of them all. It's clearly the most bulky and has dual-screen access. Starly line is vastly different from everyone else just because of Close Combat, and it's even more offensive than Spearow.

Spearow-line is much more offensive than Pidgey-line, which is the most defensive. Taillow is speed-oriented and is meant for Guts abuse.

I have no idea wot Pidove is trying to do. I guess trying to be balanced, but it is somehow the worst bird of them all.

But yeah, saying they're all close enough when they all play dramatically different (at least Swellow, Staraptor and Noctowl) is a generalization.

HP ATK DEF Sp.Atk Sp. Def Speed

Unfezant: 80 105 80 65 55 93

Fearow: 65 90 65 61 61 100

Pidgeot: 83 80 75 70 70 91

Noctowl: 100 50 50 76 96 70

Swellow: 60 85 60 50 50 125

Staraptor: 85 120 70 50 50 100

Edit: Fearow shouldn't even count since Dodrio is better than it in every single way. >.>;

I agree with you so much on the Dodrio thing.

I can admit I should have left Hoothoot out (the ONLY Flying ComMon I never used), and, true, Mamepeto and Starly look alike. But even then, if you ignore the Hoothoot line, it still comes down to the fact that none of them ends up with a base stat in Attack lowet than 80 or a base Speed lower than 91. They are all primarily Flying-types and so they all share this trait. Whereas, if you compare, say, Ratticate, Furret, Linoone, Bibarel and Watchog, their ranges for Speed and Attack are actually pretty large. Their movesets all include Normal, but Ratticate tends to specialize in more attack-orientated, but Linoone learns a lot of support moves, and Watchog is a decent mix.

Comparing to how all of the Flying ComMons rely on their speed and agility to dodge attacks, ignore Ground, Fly, and try and get some good damage in there.... They all learn Agility, Wing Attack, and Quick Attack and pretty much cut/paste each other's learn sets to look different. And why do they have all similar movesets? Because they're ALL Normal/Flying. While their stats may differ the slightest bit, they ALL make it to the list of the fastest Pokemon because NONE of them falls below 80, and they fall into the list of Pokemon with the highest attack because NONE of them falls below 80. They're great additions to any team, in that sense- but it doesn't matter which one you choose over the other. I will admit Staraptor is probably the most original out of all of the Flying ComMons because it learns two Fighting-type moves, but it's only a matter of time before they decide to add Close Combat to the others, as well.

Rattata. Little guy's a tank. Okay well the little guy's a glass cannon anyways. I mean Superfang, then Hyper fang, come on. He's fast enough to uasualy go first, too. Then he evolves in to Raticate. But a swift kick to the nads and he's out for the count.

hes also very good because you get them so early in game and a raticate even after the third gym is annoying

Of course the birds are like each other. The real world birds they are based on are like each other.

Archived