Top 10 worst designed cards BW1 on.

Aisor

Since everyone likes this topic, I'm interested in hearing what others think really are the main flawed cards of the current (and shortly upcoming) format. Here's my list, I'm not the most experienced player out there so I'd be interested to see what kind of cards you would bring up. Feel free to contest anything I brought up by sharing your experiences and cunning counterplans for these monsters. Please note that this isn't meant to start a hostile argument, I'm just sharing this, and curious to hear some opinions on these cards and their relative power.

So, some criteria for getting included in this list:

1) Lack of clear weakness or limitation.

2) Overshadows the vast majority of cards without any drawback.

3) Makes a lot of cards unplayably by, simply, knocking anything small out way too fast.

Okay, enough intro, let's get started.

10. Landorus EX (BC). 30+30 for 1 energy. On a 180 HP basic. It nets you a couple of prizes before going down, without taking any resources on its own really. Just what is the point of the 2 prize penalty then? Nobody knows.

9. Mewtwo EX (NXD). It's relatively reasonable nowadays to tech against Mewtwo EX with just a couple of cards, other than a copy of Mewtwo EX if your own as well. But it's still a terrible card for the game. When thinking up deck ideas, just how many of them were destroyed by thoughts such as "this thing is weak to psychic (Mewtwo), can't play it" or "this thing needs a lot of energy, can't play it with Mewtwo out there". It's a card that shred dimensions out of the game with a simple combo with DCE or energy acceleration, taking out much freedom and joy of discovery from deckbuilding.

8. Deoxys EX (PLS). Why is this so low? Isn't this the card everyone's afraid of? Well, aside from there being such a huge number of because it's only broken in conjunction with a couple of other cards (Thundrus EX, Plasma Kyurem, Lugia EX, Colress Machine, Plasma Ball). But other than that, it's a massively useful supporter that gives your Plasma attackers a lot of damage. This ability is so good it alone makes a card worth playing. But once again, Pokemon TCG just wants to make sure the mascot card gets played, regardless of balance. 170 HP, a situational yet amazing attack that can be set in one turn with Colress machine and being a basic are not things that should go together with this kind of Ability.

7. Tornadus EX (DEX). We really need something that attacks for 60+ damage on the first turn because you need to be a big basic to withstand that reliably. And they only want us to buy the big basics.

6. Eviolite (NV)/Skyarrow Bridge (NXD)/Prism Energy (NXD). These only buff basics, the ones that are easiest to set up and take least deck space to use. Was the idea of this to help small basics survive longer or something? At least Prism energy was planned with the idea to use multiple types of EX in one deck, but on the other hand that's a terrible idea. Nobody uses it for that, only to improve already overpowered strategies, which is what makes this type of cards outright horribly designed.

5. Darkrai EX (DEX). So what is this guy, a supporter, a main attacker or what? It's everything at once. The ability alone makes this a card worth running, it would be used even on a Pokemon that can't attack or take hits too well. But this guy hits REALLY hard for only 3 Dark Energy (Dark Patch makes it a T1 possibility)for 90 (110 with Dark Claw) + 30 to bench. And that's not all, he has 180 HP. Compare this to other high utility EX like Celebi and Victini. This guy has a better ability, a really strong attack and absurd HP for something with those two. This card was so poorly designed, particularly considering the expansion with such powerful DARK TYPE EXCLUSIVE support, that it's just a blatant way to force many, many players to either buy 4 copies of it or lose.

4. Blastoise (BC) + EX attackers. Blastoise, Keldeo EX (BC) and Black Ballista BK (PLS) aren't poorly designed cards on their own. But the way they come together is just absurd. Even if Blastoise is a stage 2 that takes 10 deck slots to get 1-3 pokemon out (yeah, stage 2 in general are unplayable for this reason) remember that the EX are basics. They can be played from your hand and attack the same turn if they have energy. And Blastoise treats them all water they ever need, not to mention Keldeo EX makes catcher stalling Blastoise futile. He can't be really sniped either since there's no reliable enough grass attacker.

3. Team Plasma's Poke Ball (PLF). It wouldn't be a problem with this restriction if Plasma wasn't already the dominant force due to some really absurd card designs. And this card is only there to let them be even more consistent with setting up their overpowered combos. Just bravo, way to overkill.

2. Thundrus EX. (PLF) With this guy and Colress Machine, you will easily energy accelerate 3 SPECIAL ENERGY each turn, starting T1. Not to mention he hits hard already at the beginning with just one energy, and then you consider laser and Deoxys EX. An overpowered first attack without ANY drawbacks or meaningful limitations (Plasma only? Sure, they don’t have anywhere enough support) makes it a straight up terribly designed card that gives one type of deck a massive advantage over everything else. This is the card that makes Plasma decks the reigning archetype, with nothing in sight that could even contest it.

1. Hypnotoxic Laser. (PLS) What did this add to the game? Even without Virbank it would just give more early game damage for already overpowered EX decks that are the only ones that can really afford to run 4 copies of this with Virbank, and make the game more luck-based with sleep-flips. To add insult to injury, it seems Pokemon TCG's ideas of "counters" are stuff like façade Conkeldurr… what a joke that shows how little designers care. And come on, it's an attack that doesn't take a turn, or even use up your supporter of the turn. Using this should have had the condition it ends the turn, but sadly it doesn't and the terrible consequences of this are already seen.

Catcher didn't make the list because it would be a great card for this game that it more strategic... if only it wasn't for these actually bad cards that take away from the entire game. Plasma Freeze cards' positions are not only based on the cards' obviously bad design aspects such as having 3 big purposes and no real weaknesses, but mostly confirmation of their domination in Japanese metagame. And this only covers the overpowered cards. There are a lot of flippy, underpowered and such cards that demonstrate the game's very undesirable direction. But in the weak cards aren't bad on their own, bad is not an absolute. They are bad because there are cards that cover all of their roles so much better.

Not a bad list, but I feel that there is 2 cards (that really would count as one spot on the list) that I feel are pretty poorly designed. They are the Gabite (dragon call) and Garchomp from DRX. I feel this a poorly designed since the dragon call Gabite needs 2 energies to attack while Garchomp only needs 1 to attack and if u use a couple altarias it can do up to or more than its stronger attack that need 2 energies. I don't like it because it feels to easy to attack with it. I mean depended on how good your hand is within 3 turns you could easily knockout any pokemon with HP 100 or lower without having to discard cards to attack.

Wow

AISOR,

what a great post. Mostly agreed, the creators are definitely more concerned about raking in the cash than allowing players to create creative deck builds. The health of the game isn't doing so great. I liked back around 6 years ago when we had powerful Stage 2 Pokemon-ex rather than the current standard of ridiculously beefed-up Basic Pokemon EX.

I have to admit though, as I'm sure you do too, I did sadly pony up the cash for the Pokemon EX and Lasers...

Aloeb:

Actually, I think Garchomp line is a good card design in a format dominated by big basics. True: you can get your entire setup very fast relying only on a couple of level-balls, and without discards. But the sad thing is, stage 2 attacker NEEDS to be able to do at least this much.

Garchomp line takes a lot of room in your deck compared to using EX attackers. That's why Dragon Call and the low energy cost are necessary: Dragon Call lets you be consistent with less trainers (since you have less room for Trainers than EX decks) and the low energy cost lets you survive with fewer energy cards/energy retrieval (again, you have less room for that). In my opinion, future Stage 2/Stage 1 lines need to have synergies like this; their attacks need to be cheap and they need abilities like Dragon Call.

Another example is Empoleon. Like Garchomp, he attacks for one energy. And he has that Diving Draw, a very important ability that lets you get the cards you need easier (this is, again, necessary since decks with evolution lines have more potential dead cards in general than EX focused decks). I'd say both of them are pretty well designed to be able to work in a format dominated by big basics. And yet, they don't have much tournament success, at all, the basics are just THAT strong.

J_Lynch:

Thanks! Yep, their philosophy is that they make a couple of set-defining cards with blatantly obvious uses. No searching for delicate combos across sets, no alternatives, just certain combinations that are easy to understand and easy to play, only costly to obtain...

And haha, I'm victim to their schemes as well :P But I have to say, my enthusiasm and optimism are getting tested more and more.

Aloeb:

Actually, I think Garchomp line is a good card design in a format dominated by big basics. True: you can get your entire setup very fast relying only on a couple of level-balls, and without discards. But the sad thing is, stage 2 attacker NEEDS to be able to do at least this much.

Garchomp line takes a lot of room in your deck compared to using EX attackers. That's why Dragon Call and the low energy cost are necessary: Dragon Call lets you be consistent with less trainers (since you have less room for Trainers than EX decks) and the low energy cost lets you survive with fewer energy cards/energy retrieval (again, you have less room for that). In my opinion, future Stage 2/Stage 1 lines need to have synergies like this; their attacks need to be cheap and they need abilities like Dragon Call.

Another example is Empoleon. Like Garchomp, he attacks for one energy. And he has that Diving Draw, a very important ability that lets you get the cards you need easier (this is, again, necessary since decks with evolution lines have more potential dead cards in general than EX focused decks). I'd say both of them are pretty well designed to be able to work in a format dominated by big basics. And yet, they don't have much tournament success, at all, the basics are just THAT strong.

J_Lynch:

Thanks! Yep, their philosophy is that they make a couple of set-defining cards with blatantly obvious uses. No searching for delicate combos across sets, no alternatives, just certain combinations that are easy to understand and easy to play, only costly to obtain...

And haha, I'm victim to their schemes as well :P But I have to say, my enthusiasm and optimism are getting tested more and more.

I definitely see your point and I wasn't complaining about the use of dragon call just the fact that it requires more to attack with Gabite then Garchomp so i just think it needs to be more consistent like if stage 2 only needs one energy to attack then same with the basic and stage one, not to say there can't be 2 energy attacks on a stage one if stage 2 needs one, I would just like a more logical progression.

I managed to play a game earlier with someone with a mewtwo ex equipping it with a double colourless, used hypnotoxic laser and virbank, I only had my cyndaquil out and lost before taking my first turn... I bought 50 codes to get back into the game from nostalgia from collecting the cards when I was younger, but that's only enough to beat the ones who haven't really invested anything/much in the game.

I managed to play a game earlier with someone with a mewtwo ex equipping it with a double colourless, used hypnotoxic laser and virbank, I only had my cyndaquil out and lost before taking my first turn... I bought 50 codes to get back into the game from nostalgia from collecting the cards when I was younger, but that's only enough to beat the ones who haven't really invested anything/much in the game.

Yup, you got "donked." It's very unfortunate and no fun when it happens. Playing big basics is important in this format. 70 HP is usually enough to avoid nasty donks, but not always...

I play Crushing Hammers and an Enhanced Hammer + a speedy consistent deck to make fast recoveries from attempted T1 donks.

most ex cards are not game breakers. They're unbalanced deliberately to be FOO strategies. Yes it's anoying when i new one pops up and no-ones figured out how to deal with it yet, but we soon figure out a way

Aloeb: Yeah, sorry, I get it now. Particularly with Celebi around, having that kind of consistency would be nice. But then again, in my opinion all stage 2 attackers should be able to attack for 2 energy at most unless their effect is something extraordinarily strong or their type is otherwise easily accelerated.

frishter: that could happen with other cards as well, though, particularly if you happen to have bad weakness matchup. In my opinion the one who goes first shouldn't get to attack, but that's about all that can be done there.

the_sqveel: Well, yeah, the idea all EX cards ever are broken is obviously what I was getting at. After all, I included all 6 EX cards ever printed. :P At least I haven't noticed any problems with any other EX than the ones I listed here, because there's nothing to figure out about playing against these cards. They are as straightforward as they get, yet the most effective, versatile and reliable ones.

I agree with all your comments about all those broken cards. It seems like Pokemon TCG just wants people to play the same cards and strategy while sacrificing originality, and wasting our money to buy booster packs where we don't need 95% of the cards that we get.

Archived