Novice vs Expert

JoeFri85

I'm sure this is a topic that has been beat to death, but i'll go ahead and chime in on the subject.

There needs to be some kind of point system/level system applied to cards that are used in decks, Ex cards obviously creating a major spike in the point/level of a players deck. I got no problem seeing a few Ex cards when I'm playing in Novice, but you guys should have your act together enough to realize that it shouldn't be possible to have players playing with the majority of their deck made out of Ex Pokemon. This seems pretty obvious to most of the players but for some reason the devs don't seem to grasp the concept.

Now I'm not trying to badmouth the devs, but how can you possibly not realize that it's human nature for people to want to lord over others. It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to develop some kind of point/level system that would regulate which level a player is allowed to play on. If a player is using all Ex Pokemon but still sucking, then they need to be forced to play in Expert to up their gameplay experience instead of allowing them to smash the newbies in Novice.

Just my two cents worth...

This really is a topic that has been put to death...

To re-iterate, there are now plenty of options to GUARANTEE the kinds of decks you are going to be up against. These including organising games via the Forums (create a thread for 'Non-EX Battles' and add whoever says 'I'm in' as a friend in game perhaps), entering Tournaments here on the Forums (32914 currently has 2 Non-EX Tournaments running) and taking on the Trading Card League currently has 3 Non-EX levels which include generous prizes.

I should add in at this point that lots of people use the Novice Section to test their decks for balance and fluidity. Yes, some of these decks include EXs but you really can't get angry at people for spending more money to acquire better cards. Surely that's kind of the point of a game where Trading is in the title - and you shouldn't just shun all players who use a few EXs now that they're more prominent in game.

I'm not taking sides and saying it's ideal, but rather than blaming anyone, you'd be better off taking advantage of these forum-based opportunities and just get on and enjoy the game. I'm sure you'll agree it's a better use of your energy :)

As you can tell by my first post here, This topic is one that I find needs some addressing. While yes the community can take it into their own hands, and have. To make pre-decided battles and know more of who you are up against. However as a newer player to the community, and one who finds the 5-6 EX in a deck of 35 trainers and 18 energy, to be absolutely lame to play against.

I for one, enjoy extended pokemon battles, letting players build the pokemon, let strategies play out and have fun with the deck. Now I do this in novice I do not play a single EX ever in any novice match.

For someone to say they need to Tweak there deck in novice because they rather not take defeats in expert bah!. Try your EX deck where it will be played , in expert. Tweak it after a few losses, Its not about win or lose!

The point system that was suggested would be actually a very simple and accurate way of setting things up. Someone with 35 trainers and only 5 EX as the entire pokemon of a deck, Should be screened out of certain brackets!

I have friends, I Play them , but I would love to join random PVP matches with a little more balance and enjoyment. I am quickly deterred away from those matches, even ones I use EXs myself. It would be sad if all TCG becomes is people hoarding for the EX decks, and creation of fun and unique decks goes out the window.

I want a kid to have fun with butterfree in a deck, build one, and go against another like minded fun deck that isnt 5 EXs to pound the poor kid.

Just hoping for better system for battle searches, Novice and Expert simply wont be enough. This is still rather new and I am sure they are waiting on more feedback to tweak the battle finder. However Suggestion 1 was spot on, a point system to cards and overall deck scores would go a long way in this.

Dro, I certainly appreciate what you have to say - but I should remind you that the Developers really are doing everything that can to create as many various play types as possible, and can't always keep up with the demand. You have to remember that it is ALWAYS the case that some cards will be more powerful that others - and even if we look back at HGSS, certain decks certainly seemed to overpower most others.. Yes, I agree EXs may be a way to win easily over very basic decks, but there are now several options to counter them - and even more in the coming sets.

That aside, I think for now, you will just have to accept EXs are part of the current Format. This will NOT always be the case, but for now, there is plenty of creativity to be done with or without EXs and both have equal merit, and should be treated as such. Yes, it is a shame that not all players have access to a full stock of EXs (and here is, I believe the crux of this whole debate) but schemes such as Promos are trying to balance that out and I think people are being a little too aggressive about a system which can entirely be enjoyed to its fullest potential as long as players show a bit of initiative - either by buying Promos or organising Non-EX games themselves.

It would be nice to see a few more positive comments about the HUGE number of different options players now have (Let's not forget Mewtwo isn't used in a lot of the decks currently winning in Japan). You can CHOOSE to play at whatever level you wish - and ok, maybe TCGO isn't quite able to provide that automatically yet (remember this is a Beta Test) but I'm certain in time we will see such options :)

Remember, the Non-EX Levels of the Trading Card League are always there whilst you wait. Check the Forum Thread on the PvP Discussion Section of the forums for more details :)

Alex.

"5-6 EX in a deck of 35 trainers and 18 energy"

If he's running 18 Energies then there's prob a reason that he's in Novice :D. Those who are newer to the game won't realise this but an average deck almost never runs more than 12 Energies [with the exception of a few].

I don't see how using EX's makes you an automatic "Expert" -_-

The way i see it is if your kind of new to the game and still learning the mechanics and strategies of the game then Novice is where you should be playing regardless of how many EX's u use.

Why do we have a tournement mode in creation while we can do some tournements in the forum. Why we should not get a EX free mode. You can find a friend to play a non-ex game, but it takes time to organize and to find that friend. He may also be offline while you want to do a game. This why we want novice game to be EX-free game like the tournment mode. It is to save time.

WE just want a fair match in novice mode and have fun. Using EX while your opponent are not using them or a deck that can counter them is only one way fun. It is not fun to stomp by your opponent with no chance of winning.

They are some non-EX deck that can stomp you as well but those are few and EX are still most of time most effective to crush newbie.

EX have have weekness they drop two price cards when down but newbie will sacrifice a lot more than 2 cards to put one down.

While the develloper put an EX-free mode. You can prove your disagrement of it by leaving a novice game while your opponents use novice. He will not win anything. You can also said in chat that ex are too powerfull for novice room before leaving so they know why you are leaving. WHile your opponents will be tired of not playing them they change their habits.

Ps: If you are feeling really evil you can also let the 2 mins run out so they loose even more time.

Personally I would like to see a no-EX novice and expert. Its gotten to the point that its not really pokemon any more. Evolution is the fun part.

Can we please just close this conversation? The matter is very simple.

The Developers are doing everything they can for us. So far, Non-EX Mode has not been implemented, but it has been suggested about 100 times in the CORRECT PLACE IN THE FORUMS (Help and Suggestions Section) so are definitely be working on it and I'm sure we'll see it coming soon!

Until such a time as it is implemented, please just enjoy the environment we have now - take advantage of the Tournaments which don't have EXs in such as the Trading Card League and please, please stop complaining so much!

I don't think the poster should be told to close this conversation, at least not on the "The Developers are doing everything they can for us" grounds, since we SHOULD be able to speak our minds about the game here in the forums. (Now, on the "CORRECT PLACE IN THE FORUMS" grounds, you may have something there, but it IS a PvP issue being discussed in the PvP sub-forum... well, it's a topic with many aspects I suppose :P)

we SHOULD be able to speak our minds about the game

There is a right and a wrong way to express yourself.

Posting constructive suggestions on the Feedback thread (or rather, posting on one of the many threads that have already been started regarding this topic) would be the best way to do this. Getting angry with players for using EXs in the novice section is not - and is an discussion that has now been adequately covered multiple times by a variety of players and I believe one we should just accept and move on with until the developers are able to implement a Non-EX mode.

I should add that complaining about people using EXs on the forums when not everyone reads the forums (especially new players who generally are the ones using novice) is never going to stop people using EXs in novice mode anyway. You're better off joining the suggestion threads and being constructive than complaining :)

Archived