Heaps, Lag and Leaks

TPCi_Mathis

The Mods reported the increase in community reports of Too Many Heaps, lag and memory leak issues to the Dev team over the weekend. After some digging, the Dev team has identified a couple of issues which they believe are contributing to these problems. They'll be testing fixes in a development environment over the next couple of weeks and are planning to roll them out with the mid-March game update.

We'll provide you with more information when it's available to us.

That's great news, thanks Mike! Heaps were getting crazy indeed, got one on my first game after restarting not too long ago and was like '>_>'. Normally they take a couple of hours after startup before occurring, lol.

Hey Slowpoke!

Thank for the information. anything else that you guys can give us will greatly increase the chances of this all getting sorted out sooner!

I get the Too Many Heaps error after opening around 25-30 booster packs or so. This is without scanning the codes in first - that part of the process does not give me any trouble. I have a Windows XP SP3 (yeah, I know) laptop with 3gb of memory. I am an analyst/programmer at work and given that it does not happen on any other program whatsoever, and the fact that Pokémon and me go way back, I was really hoping that someone could fix this problem.

I got too any Heap sections 3 times since yesterday morning, one time was when I was opening packs, one time I was literally not doing anything for a few minutes, and one time when I clicked on "Start QR Reader". It seems pretty random to me. I used to have the game open for hours and it would get really laggy but it would rarely have this Heap Section Errors.

Hope this helps sort it out!

HI prof

I am using 4GB memory, core I5-2.5Ghz. But it always takes me 5 minutes to log into the game. 2-3 minutes to move between pages. For instance, from collection to trade, trade to play. It also takes more than 2 minutes to connect to PVP resulting in long idle time and losing the game without even playing. Before the plasma update in Feb 6, i manage to at 10-20 games a day. Now i play zero PVP a day. In fact, i have also upgrade my internet connection speed from 512Kbps to 1Mbps after the plasma update in Feb 6. But, my connection in-game is now worse compared to when i was using 512kps because i still managed to play some games before Feb 6. I have been experiencing this lag for about a month now . I joined PCTGO a few months ago and i am not sure how long my excitement for this game will last without being able to play PVP at all. i do get heap actions as well but i can still tolerate it because all i need to do is restart the client. However, i find it quite hard to tolerate the idea of not being able to play PVP at all and there is nothing i can do to from my side to fix it. Please help and advise.

With that said, i have actually reinstall the client many times and i have also tried to install it using another computer but i faced similar problems.

I didn't have any of those problems, until the last update. Now, I get a heap error approximately once every 10 duels, and I get lag incredibly frequently.

• 2 weeks later...
HI prof

I am using 4GB memory, core I5-2.5Ghz. But it always takes me 5 minutes to log into the game. 2-3 minutes to move between pages. For instance, from collection to trade, trade to play. It also takes more than 2 minutes to connect to PVP resulting in long idle time and losing the game without even playing. Before the plasma update in Feb 6, i manage to at 10-20 games a day. Now i play zero PVP a day. In fact, i have also upgrade my internet connection speed from 512Kbps to 1Mbps after the plasma update in Feb 6. But, my connection in-game is now worse compared to when i was using 512kps because i still managed to play some games before Feb 6. I have been experiencing this lag for about a month now . I joined PCTGO a few months ago and i am not sure how long my excitement for this game will last without being able to play PVP at all. i do get heap actions as well but i can still tolerate it because all i need to do is restart the client. However, i find it quite hard to tolerate the idea of not being able to play PVP at all and there is nothing i can do to from my side to fix it. Please help and advise.

With that said, i have actually reinstall the client many times and i have also tried to install it using another computer but i faced similar problems.

The game is very slow for me as well, and makes my computer run hard. What is the best performance setting to use for this game?

Problem still exists heavily, and everytime I exit , I get the refresher update thing and have to uninstall and reinstall... EVERY SINGLE TIME to play the game.

just a heads up profs, i barely ever got too many heaps before the last update, but i've had it twice since then

• 2 weeks later...

Hi prof,

I have been getting lag and loading problem for a month or two now. It seems it is my account problem. I have tried creating a new account a few days ago and it seems to solve the problem. I want to know whether if you can transfer all my packs/cards/tokens/free cards for me or do i have to do it manually? i have been contacting the support team many times but it is not helpful at all. =(

ps: please reply my post or my ticket ASAp

thanks,

sky2020

The game is very slow for me as well, and makes my computer run hard. What is the best performance setting to use for this game?

Hi. i doubt it takes a lot of requirement. The strange part is that i can play grand theft auto, skyrim without a problem, but i got a lot problem playing this card game.

youd be surprised how powerful a machine this game needs to run.

also you wouldnt be able to transfer all your collection over manually, as a lot will be locked and in order to trade at all you'd need to spend money on your new account. and that's without getting into the whole multiple accounts thing...

it sounds really odd that you only have this problem on one account, is your collection huuuuuuuuuge or something?

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have researched, this is a common Unity3D engine problem that stems from poor 'garbage collection'.

Basically its a pain to release the memory, because you can't release Unity objects with mono (think of mono as a framework and unity objects as all the pictures, images cards and coins ect)

and because its not released it fragments and builds more memory allocation untill (for me at least) the program reaches 1.3gb of working set / commit size memory then you get the wonderful 'fatal error in GC heap sections' (GC = garbage collection)

What I have been trying to do is work out if this is a superficial limit size imposed by the developers to stop a system crash for those that run 32bit os with a 3gb memory limitation, or a problem in the game engine.

Because if it is a supeficial limit people like me that have 64bit and 12GB of ram can easily run the client with 5gb memory resources.

Sure we would lag like heck, but being able to make it to the end of a match before restarting the client would be nice.

Im not sure what unity3D engine we are running, 4.1 has been out a while and supports better functionality for memory sweeping.

The dev's need to clean up the code to handle SGen garbage collection more efficiently, when a match finishes and exits would be an ideal time to force collection and load new.

Allow a higher memory allocation for users that can use it, or issue a low resoloution texture pack for the client, in theory loading less data, using less memory, Id rather have a client that works than a shiny razzle dazzle game that crashes after an hour.

You can literally go to collection, tick 'show all' and hold down the scroll arrow in carousel view and after 5 min or so of going round the client will bloat to over a gb memory usage and crash.

For those who work behind the mysterious curtain back there, are there plans to roll out mono 3.xx, upgrade unity3D or rebuild the client using an engine not made by fisher price, because that's why we beta :D

oh well, lets see what todays update breaks. BRINGS I MEAN BRINGS.

with that logic you might as well say

unless the issue has nothing to do with the programmers.

The error the client churns out clearly says 'fatal error in GC; too many heap sections'

you can even go do the research yourself, or at least try to provide a counter argument, because all the documented info points to the GC (garbage collection) memory issues where the unity files cant be cleared.

You can even test for yourself, like I stated, with the test above, show all cards, load the unity data (read; Card images)

and watch the memory bloat and never get cleared.

enjoy

http://search.unity3d.com/uss1/?q=heap+sections&type_of_search=answers

http://search.unity3d.com/uss1/?q=fatal%20GC&type_of_search=answers&app=All

nothing to do with unity engine but hundreds of topics on the problem on their forums... GG ^^

Archived