Modfied Format/DCE

TicketsForProm

I'm no expert on Modified format, but I disagree... when you filter for Modified cards only, it still turns up.

If the text of both versions of the cards are EXACTLY the same, they should still be usable in Modified.

Any card that has been rereleased without any major text changes can still be used in modified format. Text changes are considered by the big wigs on a case by case basis. For instance, all versions of switch and plus-power are still legal but the old versions of Computer Search and Bill are not legal. For the TCGO it's easy to tell, just use the "Modified" filter and it will take all the non-modified cards out.

My bad... I remember hearing about problems from people trying to play HGSS energies in the modified format, and it not working for them. So I thought the same would apply to any card outside of B/W.

I think I remember that going on. It's my understanding, though, that was just a glitch when they first launched the Modified play format in the TCGO. As far as I know those issues have been cleared up. Glitches or no glitches, though, all versions of DCE, even as far back as Base Set 1, are legal under Modified Legal.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. "IRL" (lol) modified play, you can use any version of a card that's still legal, as long as it's effects are the same. For example, Recycles, Super Scoop Up, Switch, Rare Candy etc... They all say basically the same thing on each version of that card. But then you have Potion, Computer Search, Metal/Dark Energy etc.... Not every version of those cards are the same. Potion for example, use to take off 2/20 damage counters, but now it takes off 3/30 and Computer Search may do the same thing as the original version, but now it's considered an Ace Spec, so you can only have 1 in a deck, instead of 4.

• 2 weeks later...
are the old HGSS Double Colorless energies legal for modified format?

TIA

It should be, because it was re-released in the Next Destinies expansion.

Archived